New Buck Made Remington's?

This is my other favorite. Some of these posters were real works of art and they all had a story.

99feb4e338b3544e59d2286f8c85f79a.jpg

It's just cheaper to etch everything, but I think it looks crappy as compared to a good clean tang stamp.

The "Bos S30V" etching on the other side of the tang is just perfect for fakers to copy and then sell 420HC knives as S30V.

You can easily and cheaply counterfeit etches......not so easy with real letters stamped into the steel.

So, I don't like etches. Looks like we're gonna get more and more etches, though. Cheap beats tradition and quality every time in the modern manufacturing world.

i brought up bob loveless as he didnt make cheap stuff and he was making blades before the 80s....so old time way and he acid etched back then. i get ya dont like it.....no one is arguing that point.

i brought up bob loveless as he didnt make cheap stuff and he was making blades before the 80s....so old time way and he acid etched back then. i get ya dont like it.....no one is arguing that point.

He didn't make cheap stuff, but he saved money by etching instead of stamping, because etching is cheaper.

In a practical sense, this is logical and a smart decision. He can sell knives cheaper and that makes the customer happy.

But for the buyer who values the traditional look, it's a deal-breaker.......and it's becoming more and more common.

Remington and Buck are separate brands with different needs. I won't go into contract specifics between us and Remington. We looked at doing the bullet on one of our 300 series, but decided the model 500 would be something different than what has been done lately. Yes we could have done yet another pocket knife with a bullet shield.
Etching vs Stamping of logos.. We will continue to stamp where we can, exotic material do not take well to being stamped on both sides, or sometimes even the one side. The material movement can cause bad things to happen. It is technically impossible to stamp in the Large Remington logo on the hollow grind, thus it is etched. The round logo is stamped in.

Remington and Buck are separate brands with different needs. I won't go into contract specifics between us and Remington. We looked at doing the bullet on one of our 300 series, but decided the model 500 would be something different than what has been done lately. Yes we could have done yet another pocket knife with a bullet shield.
Etching vs Stamping of logos.. We will continue to stamp where we can, exotic material do not take well to being stamped on both sides, or sometimes even the one side. The material movement can cause bad things to happen. It is technically impossible to stamp in the Large Remington logo on the hollow grind, thus it is etched. The round logo is stamped in.
Sounds good to me. I dont mind the etching.

He didn't make cheap stuff, but he saved money by etching instead of stamping, because etching is cheaper.

In a practical sense, this is logical and a smart decision. He can sell knives cheaper and that makes the customer happy.

But for the buyer who values the traditional look, it's a deal-breaker.......and it's becoming more and more common.
i like the stampings more myself. i dont mind the etchings though. i think Mr. Hubbard summed that topic up nicely for us all.

Hubbard didn't tell us a lot. I AM happy to hear that the round logo on the 500 Remington is a real, old-fashioned stamp, though. That IS news. From the pictures I would have thought it to be an etch. It looks odd. It would be nice to have better pics, but I suppose there aren't many out yet in real life.

I'm not concerned about etching farther out on the blade......just the tang.

Any collector should be concerned about etching used as a tang stamp and etching the Bos logo and type of steel on the opposite side of the tang.

These etches will wear off, for one thing, thus making it hard to identify and precisely age knives in years to come.....and, they'll be counterfeited to sell a knife with regular steel as premium steel......just by making a duplicate of the Bos etch on the other side of the tang.

But........I guess you can't fight "progress."

Last edited:
Hubbard didn't tell us a lot. I AM happy to hear that the round logo on the 500 Remington is a real, old-fashioned stamp, though. That IS news. From the pictures I would have thought it to be an etch. It looks odd. It would be nice to have better pics, but I suppose there aren't many out yet in real life.

I'm not concerned about etching farther out on the blade......just the tang.

Any collector should be concerned about etching used as a tang stamp and etching the Bos logo and type of steel on the opposite side of the tang.

These etches will wear off, for one thing, thus making it hard to identify and precisely age knives in years to come.....and, they'll be counterfeited to sell a knife with regular steel as premium steel......just by making a duplicate of the Bos etch on the other side of the tang.

But........I guess you can't fight "progress."
I can't imagine someone going thru the trouble to etch a knife to make a couple bucks. Do you have an example of this that shows proof.

Reminds me of someone accusing someone of stamping blades in their garage. Just don't see the effort worth it.

If I'm wrong please tell me so, but I've thought that Remington hasn't made ANY knives since the selloff of tooling and parts to Pal in the 1930's? Remington contracted with Camillus to build facsimiles of the originals to retail as Bullet Knives, and unless Remington actually made some knives that I'm not aware of, no "real" Remington Bullet knives have been made since the 1930's. Why would a Buck built knife be any less legitimate than one from Camillus?

If I'm wrong please tell me so, but I've thought that Remington hasn't made ANY knives since the selloff of tooling and parts to Pal in the 1930's? Remington contracted with Camillus to build facsimiles of the originals to retail as Bullet Knives, and unless Remington actually made some knives that I'm not aware of, no "real" Remington Bullet knives have been made since the 1930's. Why would a Buck built knife be any less legitimate than one from Camillus?
That seems to be the issue. The ones shown/being discussed aren't "facsimiles" of a an original Remington pattern but rather a standard Buck model with Remington markings.

I think they're alright. I like the bare head and wish Buck offered it on some of their own versions. The great thing about it is, that if you don't like the Remington name on there or the stamp/etch....you don't have to buy it. I'm not going to get one, but if someone gave it to me I'd carry it proudly because it was made in Post Falls, Idaho by my favorite knife company. Good for both companies in my opinion....

Our Buck rep didn't answer the obvious question as to whether or not Buck will EVER make even ONE real old pattern Remington or if they're even CONSIDERING the possibility or discussing it with Remington--because.......if they don't make a real one.......what's the point of all this?

It would be nice to know if it's even a possibility.

I'll be happy to buy two of every model they make that's based on one of the good old Remington patterns shown in the posters in this thread.

Start with this old classic. It's a great knife with a lot of history.

31e38f00b4fd435c6eb1a9028a287644.jpg

My thoughts,
Hey that's David Martin's favorite folder, Buck named Camillus made, or looks like a copy.

Good discussion, seems we answer the OP's questions and then like a herd of Bison stampede across the prairie into details of the subject. Real PAL Bullet knives are the world of collectors and serious knife hunters looking for the combination of quality and cost. Mostly now you take what you can find and pay what is wanted. $$$

Lets talk the new Remington contract, made by Buck. Bottom line is, who ever owns the Remington Brand was willing to get what Buck was offering. I thought we might have learned that in the 184 discussion when Buck decided it wasn't worth all the expense to build military contract 184's. Same here they agreed with "Remington" Brand holder to make a Remington marked knife. The "holder" apparently agreed to use the 500 series with processes currently used by Buck. If we all got to wave the magic wand and Buck made everything we wanted our way, all my wants would be elk, ivory and jigged bone folders. Elk long knives. All in old 440 or Sandvic. Sass and Steelhead would wave with me, maybe not on the steel. I am not a knife making businessman so I sure don't know the details. Yes, I would like a exact copy of the old Bullets, but it just ain't'a gonna happen, unless the contracting customer is willing to do it, customer is not us here, but the contractor.
I wish there was a video with narration of the Buck factory tour we could have in our sticky area, then everyone could at least see how a modern knife factory looks and works. Those are my thoughts on a Buck Remington contracted knife. Except now I am waving for a jigged bone Remington/Buck 301/303. I will be happy with etching.

Last edited:
If I'm wrong please tell me so, but I've thought that Remington hasn't made ANY knives since the selloff of tooling and parts to Pal in the 1930's?

You are 100% correct. All knives with the name "Remington" on them, after the 1930s, were built under contract by another maker.

That's easy.

The Camillus knives were Remington patterns originated by Remington.

Apparently (from what little info we have gotten here) Buck has no intention to ever make a real Remington from actual Remington patterns.

That's why the Buck effort is less legitimate......they didn't even try to make a legitimate effort--they just took one of their own knives and slapped the Remington name on it.

Hey, that's what we are here for, to speculate. Sort of like some particular football game, you never really know what going to happen till you hold it in your hand. All brands are that way. 300

Back