New Feature: iTrader

Boy, this sounds like the green chiclet/red chiclet thing all over again and may have the potential to go that route. Not only did I get a crap load of email notifications of iTrader deals I don't even have access to the page.

I took SuperMods off the list of iTrade admins, so that you guys don't get spammed with messages on various "suspicious" or "negative" feedback things. Of course, that means you also can't access the admin section of them either. Such is life.
Maybe a stupid question, if I have an ongoing WTB thread, can I leave the same thread URL for more than one person??
I don't know. You can try it and see...

I'm a little confused also, I was left one today (and I appreciated it very much) and i figured out the rest to send a responce but it was asking me for a "url" and I entered a couple two or three and it says they were not valid. Maybe I just need educated about where to get the "URL".
The URL should be of the trade / buy / sell thread proper.

For those wondering how to track down their old sale threads - use the advanced search feature and search for posts made by your username, in the for sale forums.

Just a thought, but it might not be a bad idea to let folks post more than 5 per day on a temporary basis, so they can "catch up" with older transactions. Also maybe turn off the 24-hour waiting period to leave another rating on the same person. If you made these changes for 3-5 days, that would give everyone a chance to catch up.

Could someone explain the "Request Conformation" part to me? Also, I've had deals with many non-paying members, do they get any notice that positive feedback has been left?

:confused: Adam

For some reason, I'm only able to rate two people per day. I rated two yesterday, and two more today. On the third attempt each time, I got the "Sorry, but you can not rate any more people today." message. :confused:

Does Itrader keep time logs of ratings left, for instance, I left 4 about 4pm yesterday, when I finally figured out how to do it, but I did not leave a 5th until late last night. Am I going to be held back from leaving anymore until the last one passes the 24 hour period or they going to drop off after ea one left has past the 24hr mark. I know this is all new to everyone, but I think it will be a great quick point of reference for folks wondering who they can trust on the forums, I really do not expect to see a lot of negatives from BF members, unless they sign on just to hit and run, especially on trades. I appreciate what you have done Spark and I especially appreciate the Mods who are going to have to put up with a lot more problems for a while. Perhaps we can raise your pay to two Carp per Diem a day.:D
Jim

Just a thought, but it might not be a bad idea to let folks post more than 5 per day on a temporary basis, so they can "catch up" with older transactions. Also maybe turn off the 24-hour waiting period to leave another rating on the same person. If you made these changes for 3-5 days, that would give everyone a chance to catch up.
Yeah, based on the number of messages I've gotten about it, I'm going to relax the "max" numbers for a week.

Until Wed of next week you can rate unlimited people. URL Checking is still enforced; you cannot rate someone in a thread you / they haven't participated in.

Could someone explain the "Request Conformation" part to me? Also, I've had deals with many non-paying members, do they get any notice that positive feedback has been left?

I haven't messed with the confirmation part so I don't now. They should get notice, yes.

Does Itrader keep time logs of ratings left, for instance, I left 4 about 4pm yesterday, when I finally figured out how to do it, but I did not leave a 5th until late last night. Am I going to be held back from leaving anymore until the last one passes the 24 hour period or they going to drop off after ea one left has past the 24hr mark.
Yes, see above, but I'm going to temporarily disable it for a week so people can catch up.

Does this cover knifemakers as well?
(they're part of the Exchange, IIRC)

Yes, it covers the knifemaker's for sale forums, as well as the Busse and Buck ones.

Spark,

Is it possible -- and I know very well that you may not have control over this -- to remove the iTrader score from the bar that is displayed at the top of every post a person makes in every forum and just have it as part of that person's profile which you can see by clicking on their user name? The iTrader score is only relevant in the exchange forums. In all other forums, it's just taking up screen space and cluttering up the screen. I know it's a small thing, so if it can't be fixed, well it's not big deal. But, if it can be changed, it'd be nice.

I also think that not displaying it on every post in every thread even where it's not relevant will help keep it from going the route of the chicklet system, though that will depend entirely on users and a few bad apples can -- just as they did for the chicklet system -- spoil the whole thing for everyone.

I can remove it, but it doesn't take up any more space than custom avatars do - actually less.

As for abuse, the software in question will only allow threads from exchange forums that I've specified - and the person getting feedback has to have participated or started in that thread. If someone is abusing the feedback system, there's a mechanism in place to remove fraudulent feedback and if all else fails I'll ban the people involved.

So, overall the risks are far outweighed by the rewards. You can't rep point someone up or down at the drop of a hat. If someone is getting negatives (or positives) unfairly, people can report it. It looks all good to me thuse far.

"I haven't messed with the confirmation part so I don't now. They should get notice, yes." Spark

How? I got mine via PM. :confused:

Non paying members can receive private messages. They just can't send them. :)

Non paying members can receive private messages. They just can't send them. :)

Unless you changed something this morning and it somehow hasn't propogated to me yet, that's not true. Click on a registered user's name: no option to send him a PM. Go to his profile: still no option to send him a PM. If a moderator gives him a warning or infraction that will send him a PM, but I don't know of any other way to send him one.

Sorry, should have clarified that - the system can send private messages to users. Admins can send private messages to users. Users cannot send private messages to registered users. I didn't know that SuperMods & Mods couldn't send them though, that is a new one for me. The iTrader works through the system, so (hopefully) registered users should get notification through PM that they've received feedback.

As for abuse, the software in question will only allow threads from exchange forums that I've specified - and the person getting feedback has to have participated or started in that thread. .... You can't rep point someone up or down at the drop of a hat.

So, if I understand this correctly, the tremendous effort involved in making a post before giving rating points will make this different from the old chiclet system which allowed people to give chiclets without having to type 10 characters in an exchange thread first? Um ...

If someone is getting negatives (or positives) unfairly, people can report it.

We spent many, many hours responding to those reports with the chiclet rating system. Maybe this time it will be different. Maybe this time members won't complain to the moderators about the injustice of it all every single time they get a negative rating.

The Red Sox did win the Series....

So, if I understand this correctly, the tremendous effort involved in making a post before giving rating points will make this different from the old chiclet system which allowed people to give chiclets without having to type 10 characters in an exchange thread first? Um ...
We already have rules in place against chatting in for sale threads, so that handles that question. Ratings abuse is a perfectly fine reason for banning people (in my opinion), so if a bunch of people abuse the system, there's going to be a bunch less members.

We spent many, many hours responding to those reports with the chiclet rating system. Maybe this time it will be different. Maybe this time members won't complain to the moderators about the injustice of it all every single time they get a negative rating.

There's a lot more incentive to make this work correctly on the member side. For one, this is limited to the exchange areas, not all over the forums.
Second, paying members aren't going to let themselves be dinged unfairly, so the abuse aspect is going to be very swiftly handled.
Third, people don't want to deal with scammers, so there's going to be an effort by many to make sure their feedback is high. A fast rating system like this gives instant feedback on how well or poorly someone trades / sells, so it's going to encourage honesty; I've seen how people freak out over a negative rating on ebay, so this gives the consumer a tool as well.

We'll see how it plays out, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Maybe so. I am a little sceptical, but maybe so. I do see differences between this and the chiclet system....

If it doesn't work out, it can be removed just as quickly as it was put in.

Hey Spark, I think I am pretty well caught up on my sale threads back through time, but one thing I have noted is that when I go to look at the feedback left for others, it lists 4 pages, but when I click any of the numbers for subsequent pages, it takes me back to the feedback left for me. Nothing big on my end, but it might be glitch you need to look at. I was cranking them out so maybe it has not caught up with me yet. :D

Back