1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New Forum software thread. . .

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Rat Finkenstein, Apr 1, 2011.

1. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Boy is that a sight for sore eyes....now going to advanced mode to add a smiley - this new software is so advanced. :) :rolleyes:

2. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    Oh my god look at all that white, it's so bright it hurts my eyes oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I honestly don't know how people survived with the old format.

3. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    I was wondering why people were complaining about the colors, out of anything there was to complain about. They are nearly the same as before the switch.

4. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Just open 2 windows and look at the soft pastels compared to the older colors amd daker seperators. Still look better. I'm getting used to this software I suppose, but I admit to spending far less time here now because of changes, YMMV. Go to advanced and add smiley now....:)

5. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    The main problem I'm having is that other than using the quick reply I can't post. When I hit reply to thread it takes so long to open both my work and home computer time out.

Also the time it takes to open a thread it'self has slowed WAY down. I pretty much stopped posting on knifeforums because it was so slow after they upgraded not BF is the same?

6. Spark

Oct 2, 1998
    I'm wondering where people are seeing the slowness from. Server load is the same, it's not taking longer to make the pages. It's even loading faster on my phone these days.

7. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    I agree load time is the same - probably better (I haven't put it through any utilities for testing). I think any problems members have are directly a result of their equipment, connection speed or at times "perhaps" surfing the forum at peak hours like evenings and weekend evenings. Just my $.02

8. Rat Finkenstein

May 18, 2005
    Something is seriously wrong with your computer and/or browser.

9. Rat Finkenstein

May 18, 2005
    I figure the thread titles and bars can be darkened anytime, I am referring to the complaints that it is like staring at the sun, etc. The background color and contrast is no more bright or harsh than before.

10. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    I think by little stuff like darkening colors, including the seperator bars on all 4 corners of the format, from the softer pastels will reduce a lot of the "staring at the sun" complaints, but that just my personal opinion. On thing I don't like is not having access to emoticons from Quick Reply. That would be a nice tweak if it could be pulled of. Sometimes ya just have to give somebody a thumbs-up! :thumbup:

11. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    cziv, double-tap Reply to Thread at the bottom of the page and you will get that advanced window with emoticons.

Or double-tap Reply at the bottom of each post for it. (Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote )

12. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    The colors are fine. I hope, in the coming months, that some of the subforum info can be sorted to make it easier to skim.
    I did like the way that, in the past, the thread titles stood out a lot more. Somewhere, I've got a screenshot of that too.

13. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    I just figured out to go straight to the "Go Advanced" reply button and push it. That brings it to the same amt. of clicks as the old forum (1) :foot: . Thanks! :)

14. Troy H

Troy H I'm always like this. Moderator

Jan 28, 2005
    Hi Spark,

I noticed that when replying to a thread, the text color popup moves around on hover making it difficult to use. Here's a couple pics to show what I mean...

When hovering over the green, note the gaps without a color box...
    [​IMG]

When hovering over the orange the gaps and colors move around...
    [​IMG]

This is using BFC Style 1. I haven't tested other templates.

Thanks!

15. Rat Finkenstein

May 18, 2005
    It does for me but only when I hover over the rightmost column. I am using large print.

16. Spark

Oct 2, 1998
    No problems for me, but I'm using Google Chrome

17. Radyn

Radyn

Jan 8, 2006
    +1 on replacing the horrible envelopes. Saw that you said it was low priority, just stating my opinion.
    The contrast of background to text in the Dark style seems way too harsh to me.

Also voting for this:
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

18. Radyn

Radyn

Jan 8, 2006
    Also could the "Forum Categories" dropdown menu eventually contain all the subforums in nested menus?

19. joshuabl

joshuabl

Jan 24, 2007
    wrong section.

20. Cougar Allen

Cougar Allen Buccaneer (ret.)

Oct 9, 1998
    Same here -- it's only when I hover over the rightmost column of color squares. I am using large print and Firefox 3.