New Forum software thread. . .

Spark,
Thank you for the vb Bold Grey theme. I find that it's much easier on my eyes. :)

Question: On our personal page with the old version, we had a list of currently active members in alphabetical order, column style on the left side. The new version doesn't seem to have it there... Is this an option that you can turn on?

I'm in vb-Bold Gray. Am I the only one who's monitor is rendering the background as black with gray divider bars and white text?

When viewing a page of threads, it would be better to have just the name of the individual underneath, instead of "started by blah blah at blah blah time"

More importantly, the page numbers and their corresponding links should be on the same line as the title, so they are easily accessible. When the started by line was to the right, I would end up clicking onto the first page of a long thread because the navigation was buried in the gibberish.

The format of title and pages on top and name of thread starter below in smaller type size is superior. (Check default style at JD for reference)

Another issue is why the serif font? Never had it before. It makes stuff look more alien and cluttered.

I agree with everything here.

Spark, I know you're saving design for the last steps, but in subforum view, the thread titles do sit in a jumbled mess of information IMO.

I'll say this. I'm getting used to the new format, and with tweaks and tucks, the site is going to be a better one, I think.

here is the profile page with the black text over the dark grey/black
I've included a snap of my color scheme used in total commander
bf_black.jpg

I'd like to get an option for that gray you're displaying jacktrades_nbk. :)

Spark,

I just noticed something a bit odd...my apologies if already mentioned.
I tried to edit my thread in the Exchange, but every time I hit "Edit", it would respond as if I had hit "Reply"...no copy of the post to edit in the text box and all that. If I hit "Go Advanced", the forum path looks like this:
Forum- The Knife Exchange- For Sale by Individuals- For Sale: Production Knives (Individual)- Busse / Swamprat / Scrapyard Knives- For Sale Photos XXXX REMOVED THREAD TITLE XXXX For Sale- Reply to Thread.

But...if I right click on the edit button and open it in a new IE tab, it works the way it should with the post to edit in the text box... :confused: Any way to remedy this? :)

Do not like new format.

Seriously??? That's pretty unhelpful. Spark has been busting his azz to customize this new version the best he can and he's been very open to constructive criticism and suggestions on how to improve the format. IF you don't like it, how's about something more than "Do not like...", huh? Help him help you, willya? What don't you like? What would make it better??

Hey Sparkles, this may be along the lines of the "Like" thing mentioned earlier and may not be able to be separated, but we seem to have the ability to add posts from that one place and that other place to the blog.

The new format is just too hard to read, none of the options are good. I find myself coming here less and less as it it just not enjoyable to look at and too hard to find anything.

Have you tried using the large print option?

I really don't understand the whole fuss about how things look so different. Other than a couple color changes, it really hasn't changed much. Posts are still the same. Header has changed a bit, but not a huge amount. Navbar has changed, but big deal.

Spark,

I just noticed something a bit odd...my apologies if already mentioned.
I tried to edit my thread in the Exchange, but every time I hit "Edit", it would respond as if I had hit "Reply"...no copy of the post to edit in the text box and all that. If I hit "Go Advanced", the forum path looks like this:
Forum- The Knife Exchange- For Sale by Individuals- For Sale: Production Knives (Individual)- Busse / Swamprat / Scrapyard Knives- For Sale Photos XXXX REMOVED THREAD TITLE XXXX For Sale- Reply to Thread.

But...if I right click on the edit button and open it in a new IE tab, it works the way it should with the post to edit in the text box... :confused: Any way to remedy this? :)

I had this happen to me when I was closing an old sales thread.
Went to Reply like message at bottom of the screen, with nothing of the OP in it.
It did allow me to close the thread though.
I tried to replicate this in another old thread I started but DID NOT have the same results.
It all worked perfectly after that.

Have you tried using the large print option?

I really don't understand the whole fuss about how things look so different. Other than a couple color changes, it really hasn't changed much.

I think the fact that you can upload 10+ images to your albums from your PC is a pretty sweet change in my book.
Also being able to post 15+ pics is pretty cool too.
I'm curious as to how many pics I can post in a single post. (Only had 15 in last one.)
Guess I'll have to try and find out.
Keep up the good work, I like it more and more every day.:thumbup:

Last edited:
that reminds me... i think i had to tell BF.com about three dozen times today that, no, i was not interested in the tapatalk ipad app for $3... damn popups didn't seem to go away. eventually i think they gave up. now, if the app were free, maybe, but i get the impression that i have to share my credentials with their service. bad idea in general, but due to my god like mod privs, a very bad idea.

looking better :) i esp like that it looks better all squished up on the ipad. i think too wide a window, and the formatting which seems to push things far left and right doesn't "stretch" well in the middle. at least that's the visual feel i think.

keep it up :)

I've searched all over the web for cached shots of the old forum so I can make constructive remarks about changes and using screenshots, do some serious comparisons. All I've been able to come up with is skeletonized text pages. If anyone has any screenshots of the old forum, please post them.

Hopefully the current glitch fix will address the fact that all of our feedback is zeroe'd out!

Back