New GEC #13 Congress series (Clerk, Speaker Jack and Whip)

Always feels good to be able to get the ones you want. Looking through my 13's, one of the sleepers of this run was definitely the Ebony Northfield Whip. Why? Because it has the satin blade which I always my favorite on the Northfield trim! Seems like that combo only comes on SFO's here lately...wish they did that more often.

I agree! I do like the ebony Whip I have. I was going to sell it at first but then I noticed the blade is a little proud and will catch your hand with the tip. I would not sell a knife like that so on Wednesday it's going to have the kick filed down slightly. I had to do the same thing with the last Northwoods Fremont I have so it is not a big deal as long as it's done slowly.

This one had a groove running from under one bolster all the way to the opposite end. The other side was not quite as heavily grooved. But, I kind of liked both sides. Never had one that went under the bolsters in stag. Anyway; I gave this one away to a friend who is not a BF member, but maybe will get him into traditional folders.

JiTei5f.jpg

Now this is how I like to have the texture on Stag Covers . Running from end to end with no transitions to get down to the bolsters . On mine they even knocked the edge of the bolsters into the channel in the Stag .

Harry

Now this is how I like to have the texture on Stag Covers . Running from end to end with no transitions to get down to the bolsters . On mine they even knocked the edge of the bolsters into the channel in the Stag .

Harry

I do like that end to end groove sir. I have a couple bone handles that have knocked down bolsters. So, I know of which you speak. These were not ground or buffed over. But, alas I gave it away?

I may get to visit that stag cover from time to time[emoji14]

I think your effort is remarkable The 'new' colour looks very appealing and bear in mind that the CASE knife goes smooth into the bolsters, whereas the GEC takes the jigging into the bolsters. Not only is this superior but it means it will not show such a polished, burnished 'glow' as the CASE does. Thus the CASE Red colour will appear more enhanced but with a bit of carry, oil & grime the GEC will soon take on a fine lustre, I suspect.

I've heard about this toxic dye reason before, but when did it occur as an FDA edict? I have an 1998 CASE Mini Copperlock in Old Pocket Worn Bone that's a VERY nice dark red shade. GEC's Rust Red 14 is a good dark colour, Böker manage some good stuff too and Queen QCCC from this century. Whereas CASE's contemporary efforts are Strawberry to Pink at best with albino areas near the bolsters. That's why I wonder if it is the FDA factor, I think CASE just dye their bone in general, less effectively or at least very patchily ?

Regards, Will

Will, thank you!

The FDA banned Red dye #2, #3 and #40 in 1976. The ban on #3 & #40 was lifted in 1987. It may be conjecture that this action had any impact on Case red colors. And it would not have impacted pre-1976 dyes. I've never seen anything difinitive on exactly which red dyes were used by Case in the old days. Even then there were variances depending on how the bone took the dye or alterations in the dyeing process. In his book, Collecting Case Knives, Steve Pfeiffer points out that he's never seen any evidence/documentation that Case intentionally shot for one color/hue or another and that in the old catalogs, color is not mentioned. Man, times have changed :)

Nice dye job, AL! I could've gone a little lighter on the dark brown, myself. I was shooting for something between your result and mine, although I'm not unhappy with it. (It's more of a dark dark brown in person than black as it appears in the photos).

Thanks, Barrett! I had the same result as you did on another knife a couple of years ago, i.e. not what I was shooting for, but not bad either. Trial and error and surprises! :)

Just got my micarta whip and the spine side of the handle has black marks - like dirt, oil, gunk in the micarta. Anyone else have this?

b3b708d8e4b8e59a2e6e249f0f84b6dc.jpg

Any way to clean it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is one of the reasons I sold my micarta whittler ( they are actually worse than the photo shows)

You may be able to return it if the marks are bad.

Probably buffing residue, light colour material can pick it up in the 'pores'. Have you tried a wash using liquid soap, hot water and a soft brush? Should work.

Matte finish micarta is bound to pick other stains as well in its career, so it won't show up much soon anyway.

Yes, it is one of the reasons I sold my micarta whittler ( they are actually worse than the photo shows)

You may be able to return it if the marks are bad.

Mine has small amount of this. I think it will get more if I use it? I think they should not have polishing compound on them when the leave the factory. But I also know it's going to show dirt.

Alan
Wtb GEC #99, #66 slim

Mine has small amount of this. I think it will get more if I use it? I think they should not have polishing compound on them when the leave the factory. But I also know it's going to show dirt.

Alan
Wtb GEC #99, #66 slim

Yep, the light color micarta is going to pick up oils from your hand and will show marks before you realize! That's the character it develops as it gets to know its owner. :-D

That stuff was on the 77 barlows as well. Part of the deal with that micarta.

Shows up on ivory smooth bone and sometimes on stag if it's white stag near the springs... If you're going to use the micarta I definitely wouldn't exchange for another micarta hoping it won't have that. Even in the rare chance you get one without any marks on it as soon as you start using it the micarta will patina and end up with all sorts of other discoloration. It adds character to the knife in my opinion. Everyone has different preferences, for me I wouldn't worry about it and embrace the way the covers change over time.

With it's gentle, reverse S swoopiness, the Whip is like a thin, square ended Viper. :) & I really like the feel of the muslin micarta. It's not bumpy like canvas micarta, but it's also not polished smooth and plasticky feeling like linen micarta (in my very limited micarta experience).

66E471D0-4E84-44F7-8D3C-C2C14CAC0135_zpsgiboa9hi.jpg

FD027342-BDCF-41CF-A604-A1BD9D1384CE_zpsr8mj50dp.jpg

Mine has the dark residue on the spine, and also what look like tiny little pepper spots on the blade near the tang. Not particularly worried about either, unless the consensus is that I should be.

0B85F926-A777-43D6-82B0-82A18E37AF6A_zpsqpai3xqw.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my micarta whip and the spine side of the handle has black marks - like dirt, oil, gunk in the micarta. Anyone else have this?

b3b708d8e4b8e59a2e6e249f0f84b6dc.jpg

Any way to clean it up?

My Muslin Micarta Whittler had a little bit of the same, but not nearly as much as this #77 in Bone Canvas Micarta. :eek: :D

9C09C908-88D0-49BA-9612-7361CB2D1499.jpg

I think Will might be right, that it could come from the buffing compound they use to finish the scales. I had also thought, when I received that #77, that it might have been a side-effect of simply being handled during the manufacturing/finishing process (I'm sure your hands don't stay too clean making knives ;)). Not sure how you would get rid of it. Way I figure it, Micarta scales that light in color are going to darken with use anyways, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Probably buffing residue, light colour material can pick it up in the 'pores'. Have you tried a wash using liquid soap, hot water and a soft brush? Should work...

Thanks for the advice! I used dish soap and a toothbrush and a lot of it came off.

d85a3f75e8a2c5154aa404adcfec97a3.jpg

I don't mind the micarta picking up my own oils and dirt. I have a micarta Sebenza that's well oiled from my own greasy hands. There's just something about someone else's (or some shop's) dirt... like picking up the poop off my lawn from someone else's dog.

My Muslin Micarta Whittler had a little bit of the same, but not nearly as much as this #77 in Bone Canvas Micarta. :eek: :D

9C09C908-88D0-49BA-9612-7361CB2D1499.jpg

I think Will might be right, that it could come from the buffing compound they use to finish the scales. I had also thought, when I received that #77, that it might have been a side-effect of simply being handled during the manufacturing/finishing process (I'm sure your hands don't stay too clean making knives ;)). Not sure how you would get rid of it. Way I figure it, Micarta scales that light in color are going to darken with use anyways, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Wow Barrett. That is really marked up isn't it? How much have you carried it? I'm just wondering if that's all from the factory.

MYy muslin micarta Whip​ got its first carrying today, and it's picked up some blue patches, I assume from the jeans it was riding in the pocket of. Mine also has the black marks noted by others along the spine, though I must admit the moment I got it it went straight with me out the door, and I assumed it had just picked up the marks during use.

Not consistent closing action (sometimes a bit mushy), but the full open and half stop are lovely and 'thwack'-y.

Closing action W&T on my Clerk is very crisp and a stout pull too.

Once again I'm wondering if you can polish or seal the Muslin Micarta? Blue dye stains are not so appealing really :eek::D:D

Here's my stag whip. I'm very pleased with the similarity between the scales:

89C03902-F691-43A6-B522-C8E70C76F5D9_zpsigi94z6q.jpg

53D43BAB-3CF0-415F-B1FE-4F3A392E4327_zpsl6iphz1d.jpg

Wow Barrett. That is really marked up isn't it? How much have you carried it? I'm just wondering if that's all from the factory.

Haven't carried that one at all yet. That's straight from the tube.

Back