New Light!

Desmobob ok fair enough, would any of the Innova brand be worth buying at say $20 to replace the AA Maglight? The 420 is about what I see some of those 'Niteze' LED mag kits going for...

I don't know anything about the Inova lights. But there are a lot of folks who know a whole lot about flashlights over at the Candlepower forums. That's the place to get the scoop on the best buys in flashlights!

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Thanks I'll poke around there tomorrow....

the $20 models from inova to me wont replace a mini mag, I had to get a X0 model to get past a maglite, the X1 model I have makes a nice pocket light, and is fairly bright at that, but its beam its not as usful as a mini mag.

I can take some pics if you'd like?:D (yes im looking for a reason:D)

Fonley, if you MUST go ahead.....I will pass on the Innova brand and sell the other nad to buy the expensive D20....since she left me I got no use for it anyhow! Though I was saving it hoping to be able to someday get another nice knife...

Fonley, if you MUST go ahead.....I will pass on the Innova brand and sell the other nad to buy the expensive D20....since she left me I got no use for it anyhow! Though I was saving it hoping to be able to someday get another nice knife...

haha, yeah the D20 its a much better light, both the maglite and Inova are good allround lights, like I said the X1 makes a nice pocket light, but with the D20, you got a pocket light and sooooo much more.

Fenix TK10 on 60 lumens.
picture5gq9.jpg

Inova X1 at 15 lumens I think, its not bright.
picture6zw9.jpg

And fully focoused mini mag, with freash battries.
picture9gq9.jpg

Now the pictures dont show %100 true color, and power, but you get the point. if you just want a pocket light thats cheap, I payed $30 for the inova in canada, but the X1 makes a nice pocket light, That and my Fenix make a durable combo.

Last edited:
I bought an LED conversion kit for my MiniMaglight at Dick's. I don't think it was worth the money. I would guess there are better options out there for MiniMaglight conversions, but maybe not.

Which one did you get?
Pretty sure both are Nite Ize brand.
There is the crappy one with 3 small LED's and there is another more expensive one with a single LED (think it's a LUXEON 1 watt) and a tailcap switch that gives you strobe and 3 levels of light......that one made my mini-mag very noticeably brighter than stock!!!! :thumbup:

Here is the one I have and this is a 5 watt upgrade I just found!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G93JYI

http://www.zbattery.com/TerraLUX-MiniStar2-Extreme-5-Watt-LED-for-AA-Mini-Mag

I just got a drop in upgrade for my Surefire 6P that is AWESOME. Made by Malkoff (google that). They also make drop ins for Maglites. BUT, the drop in was fifty bucks. I get 220 lumens out of it though!

I just got a drop in upgrade for my Surefire 6P that is AWESOME. Made by Malkoff (google that). They also make drop ins for Maglites. BUT, the drop in was fifty bucks. I get 220 lumens out of it though!

Those Malkoff drop-ins do bring a smile to your face. :D :thumbup:

Jeff

Which one did you get?
Pretty sure both are Nite Ize brand.
There is the crappy one with 3 small LED's and there is another more expensive one with a single LED (think it's a LUXEON 1 watt) and a tailcap switch that gives you strobe and 3 levels of light......that one made my mini-mag very noticeably brighter than stock!!!! :thumbup:

Here is the one I have and this is a 5 watt upgrade I just found!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G93JYI

http://www.zbattery.com/TerraLUX-MiniStar2-Extreme-5-Watt-LED-for-AA-Mini-Mag

I got the crappy one with 3 small LEDs. I didn't notice the 1-watt model available. It was an impulse purchase. I'm surprised I bought it, really. Normally, I'd do some web research before picking up something like that.

Thanks for the link on that 5-watt conversion. That looks interesting!

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Just got my D10 this evening. Haven't had too much time to work with it but I like what I'm seeing so far. It's as bright as my Novatac with a tighter beam. I'm looking forward to see which one does the better job in the woods near the house.

I ordered mine yesterday, the selling point really was the batteries, having hard to find, expensive batteries just seems counter-intuitive to an edc.
It was actually the reason I stayed away from the whole scene for so long.

I ordered mine yesterday, the selling point really was the batteries, having hard to find, expensive batteries just seems counter-intuitive to an edc.

Correct. Especially for an EDC. Those rechargable NiMH batteries power my whole house now, and I'm really very happy with them. I went and ordered a pretty good charger from the net. But now I see chargers for these everywhere I go. Even the grocery store.:thumbup:

I remember when I got my first digital camera, it ate up the batteries really fast. Someone said to use the rechargable nimh ones, and I did just because I figured I won't be buying them all the time, but they lasted a good 3-4 times longer on a full charge somehow.
Thanks for the review, bro! Can't wait to dazzle and blind my friends.:D

The main reason I ordered the D10 was the batteries as well. I have and have used Surefires for many years and still like them. Over the last 4 years or so I phased out all of my 2 cell Surefires for the single cell as I really hate the idea of waste and the overall expenditure. I recently picked up a NovaTac 120T which runs on a single CR123 battery and really like that one as well.
That being said I am definitely making a switch to AA type flashlights due to the overall availability and price of the batteries.

Fiddleback,

Thanks so much for the heads up and review on the D10. Looking forward to picking up the D20 and maybe a Defender Infinity to boot.

Back