NEW MEMBER THREAD! If you're new to the forum post it here.

Hello,

I've monitored Bladeforums from afar for a number of years now, and finally decided to take a closer look by joining. I've enjoyed playing with, working with, and generally fussin' with knives, fixed or folding, for the past 66 years, since I first placed a folding knife in my pocket at age seven. I don't collect knives, I accumulate memories. I do have some new knives in my possesion, but many of the knives I have are used knives that have been given to me by friends or family members. Many, I've picked up because they caught my eye or reminded me of a person, time, or place in my life. I don't restore anything, but I do enjoy refreshing old, used, neglected, and abused knives. I like to breathe new life into a knife. I also very much enjoy reading about and learning about knives. My interests tend to go back to the older styles - those I grew up with.

The photo shows what began life as a Western L66. I got it as a rusted piece of junk, with no leather left on the handle, back in the late 70's. I made the walnut handle with brass inlays and gifted the knife to a good friend. It recently came back into my life and I had another opportunity to refresh it. One might say this is my favorite knife.

I've read the rules and will do my best to obey them. I'll try to do a thorough search to the best of my ability before asking a question.

Frank

Attachments

• Bladeforums Introduction Collage-DDS.jpg
    Bladeforums Introduction Collage-DDS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi all ~ Selling some of my elderly father's items for him on eBay. Found that I can ask questions as to Maker's Marks on this Forum. I'm in Florida.

Hi all, new to the forum, i'm here to the pick the brains of members regarding sharpeners, angles and to share some points about anew sharpener i just got, upto now i've been using an homemade fixed angle knife sharpener thats worked well, the new one i've just got as problems with keeping the angle same. I will post in the relevant section. Thanks all.

Hello people……………..was diagnosed with cancer 16 months ago and decided I needed a new hobby 15 months ago! Been buying unfinished blanks and shaping blades and making the handles. Really enjoy it!

Hi y'all. I've been coming to bladeforums for years to find info on this or that, but I never signed up before now because I just really try to avoid creating new accounts on various internet sites if I can avoid it.

Anyhow, while do I own some knives, I wouldn't really call myself a knife collector; but I do sort of semi-casually collect hatchets (it's a small-time collection, nothing to get too excited about).

I finally signed up today because I just had to post some pictures in the "Post your 165s" thread over on the Schrade Knives Collectors forum.

I don't know if I'm 'new' here because the handle I've been using across various fora for over 15 years was taken.
So I'll just post like I'm new here.
I'm George. I'm a sorta knife guy. I've got a VSAK Camper that I've had since 1988, and my most recent knife purchase was a Benchmade Barrage 583BK-2207 (now I just need to find a non-orange back spacer for it). I've got a pair of Randalls, a No1-7 and a No14-7 VST, a bunch of SAKs and the remains of roughly 35 years of knife buying and using.
Retired Army, living in TX with my wife, our dog and a pair of chickens (we had more but this summer was brutal on the birds).
I'm over on Arfcom (with 4 rather than Four) and in random other corners and am looking forward to asking lots of questions.

Hello community!

Just registered here. I have a nice little collection of cutting tools including knifes and have been lurking on the forum for a while.

I have a Q. I would like answered and thought I better register and join the community.

Cheers for now, Alan

Hey all, late Merry Christmas and early Happy New Year to you!

Quick intro, 60 year old guy, not really a blade nut too much but wanting to learn more. I'm more of a nostalgia nut and lately I've been buying some older knives and of course that leads to reading and questions etc... and of course many questions led me here to read etc. I'm not one too milk the cow too much without being willing to buy some hay, so here I am.

What I've bought mostly, American stuff, what you'd expect I guess, pre-date Bucks, vintage Schrade and Westerns etc. I generally overdo everything so I'm sure some of you will meet me in the marketplace soon enough.

Motorcycle rider, private pilot, shooter and HVAC guy my whole life. Glad to be here! Cool to see a lot of members from other countries.

Hello everyone!

30 year old knife maker from Croatia. Information on this forum helped me A LOT in my knife making journey so I decided to register. Soon to buy membership and post some knives for sale :)

Hello, just became a subscriber today but been lurking for a little while. Looking to offer my first group of knives for sale soon.

Hello Gentlemen-

New member here. Same "four.cycle" as found on GarageJournal, papawswrench, and other tool websites.

I will be using this site primarily as an information source, as I am adding ades, axes, and other edge tools and striking tools to the List of Manufacturers and Brands of Mechanics Hand Tools that I have been working on for the last several years.

I've made several search attempts, but I cannot figure out how to change the avatar!

Offhand, would anyone know if the following may have been "house brands" for Whiton Hardware Co. of Seattle:
Alki
Olympic

I am hitting dead ends on both.

Thanks.

Last edited:
New here also 🤗 but not new to the knife world. Been a collector for a few years and enjoying learning about new knives and also anything related to the hobby. Have yet to dabble a whole lot in the custom world other than a few but perhaps that will change. One thing that attracted me was the guidelines and rules and how members seem to appreciate the community aspect. I'm sure I'll learn a lot here, possibly make some friends, and hopefully give something back in return.

Happy 2023 all!

Hey all, this is actually my second post. Mainly joined for the want to buy section but looking forward to browsing and learning from the forum!

Hi I'm new. I created an account because I just noticed AlwaysSharper youtube page is gone. His reddit profile is deleted. All social media gone. Noticed he didn't delete the account on here tho but hasn't been on in months. Anyone know what happened? I liked those videos, his whetstone reviews specifically, helped me a few times, and was trying to reference one.

Hi all,

New user here who just discovered this forum.

Despite my age, I'm pretty new to knife collecting. My main interests are French folding knives and corkscrews (Sommelier knife type).

I live in London.

Happy to be here.

Hi all,

New user here who just discovered this forum.

Despite my age, I'm pretty new to knife collecting. My main interests are French folding knives and corkscrews (Sommelier knife type).

I live in London.

Happy to be here.
Howdy and Welcome. Should be a couple of threads on French traditional pattern knives in the Traditional forum. There's other cool stuff there, also.

Greetings from East Tennessee!
Joined for the heck of it, used to have a pretty sizable collection and really had a weak spot for blackjacks, but recently decided to thin it down to a few users, a couple sentimental pieces, and a couple of safe queens.
My main interest is fixed blades. Every pocket knife I've carried seemed to get lost or stolen so I gave up. Currently the only folder I own (multiple tools excluded) is a Case mini trapper in CV.
Nicest knife I own is my Randall model 1.
Most used is my PKS Kephart XL.
Hardest to replace is my Vehement tunnel rat.
My taste kinda changes here and there, but i tend to stick to the "old school" traditional designs.
So hello to all, hope to have some good conversation and meet new folks.
I also happen to work right behind SMKW. I'm sure one or two of you know that place.

Hello from South Dakota!

Found this forum recently while doing research on Microtechs and other automatic knives. What really brought me in is the exchange. But I enjoy seeing what all is out there for custom/semi custom and production blades. Lots of makers and brands I have never heard of! Going to stick around and learn what I can on sharpening and making. Most my knives get used and abused so I tend to buy mid level CRKTs and Spyderco but do have a couple higher end blades as well and plan on growing a collection.

Smoking meat, guns, and hunting are my hobbies. Glad to find a forum with lots of people with similar interests and tons of knowledge.

Hello to all from Florida!
Just discovered this new hobby of knife collecting a few months ago. I always liked it but never really got into it because of other interests. Little by little I've been reading and learning and suddenly it's become something that I really really like. Now a knife has become an essential part of my daily carry. I started like most with a basic Case trapper slipjoint that I bought at a local Ace hardware and have expanded from there. I'm up to quite a few knives so far in varying sizes and from several other manufactures: Benchmade, Zero Tolerance, Kershaw, SOG, Hogue, Gerber, Utica, Marttiini, Cold Steel, Buck and Bear & Son. I tend to favor folding knives!
Anyways, I'm glad to be here and hope to learn and share with the other members!
LRod

Back