New Mora Bushcraft Black

It worked the Kabar counter at SMKW Rep Weekend, this last weekend, and had the pleasure to work along side Rose Marie Gontowski, president of Morakniv, and one fantastic lady.

And, a knife nut. Imagine that. Well, she brought some goodies with her, and one of them was the Mora Bushcraft Black. One helluva blade.

The first thing I noticed, was the balance, which, was pointed out by Paul Tsujimoto, of Kabar knives. Toooj has enough TIB to know a little something about knives, and he was right. Either they extended the tang some, or used a denser rubber, but either way, the knife just floats in the hand.

I know, Moras are light anyways, but once you get to feel it, you'll see what I mean.

The other thing I noticed, was a fully squared off spine, and meant that way. This isn't a "Oops, we forgot to do this....." its a "Oh, we're gonna make this thing scrape wood and firesteel like no other", and its well done to boot.

The third and final thing, and probably the most important, IMHO, was the black DLC coating. Yup, black DLC coated Mora Bushcraft. Take a minute, and catch your breath. The blade steel is carbon, not sure what kind, but I do know its not Triflex. How do I know? Well, lets just say I heard Triflex will be going away soon. So, high carbon Swedish steel it is. With a DLC coating of about 95Rc. Oh hell yeah.

Standard IMP sheath, but sans firesteel, but the knife will fit in the Survival sheath, if you have one. Which I do. The knife comes razor sharp, and since they are coating the blades, the "putty steel" that usually comes on a Mora, is not there anymore. No need to put a high shine polish with compound on the knife, this fella has something much better.

The price point will be around $35 from most places, where I was at, it was just a little more. They were brought over directly from the land of Blond hair and accents, as, the packaging was still in Swedish, I think.

No, I didn't snap any pics, but I do have the knife pic from the Mora website.

Anyways, this knife just jumped up to the top of my "HOLY COW I GOTTA HAVE THIS THING!!!!" list, I shoulda bought one while I was there, but I didn't have the funds at that time.

No, you can't find them on any website for purchase, trust me, I've looked, and even SMKW doesn't have it listed yet. She brought about 50 units in the door with her, and when I left yesterday, there were about 10 left hanging on hooks. I shoulda picked one up.........dang.......

Anyways, here is a look.

1057_593f56fb936d9f719f61bca33071ea90.jpg

Thought ya'll might be interested.

Moose

Dirty dog.
I still haven't even picked up a Craftline Robust, and you show me this.

I wonder how different it is from the Craftline Robust. Specs are the same at Ragweed. Price is a LOT different.

#10315; The Craftline Robust is a new model for heavy utility or Bushcraft work. The carbon steel blade is about 4 inches long, 3/4" wide, and .126" thick. That's about 1/8", and the thickest blade on a Mora knife to date. The handle is about 4 3/4" long, and proportioned for average size hands. The sheath has the usual belt clip that will securely take belts up to 1 3/4" wide, but can also be fastened over wider belts. It has the new dual sheath post described above. The knife and sheath weigh about 4 3/4 ounces. This one feels like a worker. $15.

#12043: The Bushcraft Black also has a carbon steel blade about 4 inches long, 3/4" wide, and .126" thick. The blade has a black coating to help prevent rust and unwanted reflections. The handle and sheath are also black. The sheath comes with the Bushcraft style belt loop that swivels for comfort when sitting, etc. $39 Available about October 25th.

I'm down.
Just "discovered" Mora this summer.
Up to 4 right now (2 ss & 2 carbon) this will be #5.
I LOVE the squared off spine on the light my fire knife.

This one looks like it will be the best one evah! :thumbup:

I have Moras stashed everywhere probably get more use out of them than all my other knives combined. Don't think I need a coated one but I'm sure I will have one. Just used a robust today on a deer. Still razor sharp after field dressing a big doe including cracking the pelvis and splitting the rib cage. They are the best value in a knife bar none IMO. I prefer no coating for game processing don't want to be eating some weird chemical coating with my organic steaks. I due like the robust dimensions though no flex. Although even the companion is tuff enough for big game. Have yet to break one.

I wonder how different it is from the Craftline Robust. Specs are the same at Ragweed. Price is a LOT different.

The handle is that of the bushcraft series. The blade shape has more belly, and closer to a spearpoint than a clip.

$35 for what this knife has to offer is a good price in my book.

Morakniv has been on a constant evolution, increasing quality of steel, handle material, sheath attachment methods, and now, a coating that eliminates the need for high speed buffing which results in a softerr outer shell that has to he sharpened away to get to the good stuff.

Triflex was a trial run, to which something better will take its place. And I liked the Triflex, stuff was tough.

Evolution of a knife and the company that makes it, sells me everytime. Not much else is needed for me anymore. I have classics, brand new tech, and several editions of knives that span decades.

Right now, watching something like a Mora evolve into a modern marvel, from such humble roots, is freakin' fantastic.

Moose

Looks like a great knife. I can't beleave you didn't pick up one right there and then. Oh well, don't kick yourself so hard you can't sleep tonight,,like I would !

Looks like a great knife. I can't beleave you didn't pick up one right there and then. Oh well, don't kick yourself so hard you can't sleep tonight,,like I would !

I called and had them hold 2 of them back for me. I know the folks that run that counter. She said they were just about out.

I can't wait, and I promise to do a detailed review. I honestly can't wait to put it through its paces. I have no doubt that it will perform every bit as good as my other Moras. I just want to take some good hi res pics honestly.

Moose

That is pretty cool. I just received my first Mora which is a Robust. I am completely amazed with how it performs while cutting wood ( feather stick ).
I was blown away. TBH this robust cuts way better then my other well know neck knife survival fixed blade. So I had to buy a second one. At $14.85 each I didn't even think twice. Haha
Thanks for sharing Moose
Jose

On the Bushcraft Triflex I have I know that the tang is pretty short. How far does the tang on the Bushcraft Black extend into the handle?

Where I live the plastic handle Mora is the el cheapo knife. Everyone has them in their tool sheds. Usually they are used at summer cottages to clean and prepare fish, to whittle sausage sticks etc. Also they are used by construction workers because they are decent but cheap. Not to put you guys down, but considering that Mora is cheap puukko, there are tons of better ones. If you get hold of a Marttiini buy it, those have at least full tang. Also they have rubber handle knives, those were the ones I bought to my sons when they were in boy scouts.

http://www.marttiini.fi/epages/MarttiiniShop.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/MarttiiniShop/Categories

If you get hold of a Marttiini buy it, those have at least full tang.

i don't know where did the full tang requirement come about but i have yet to see any knife failure at the tang (or due to it not being full tang), but i've seen chipped or snapped blades (other brands) that are full tang and much more expensive than a mora.

i don't know where did the full tang requirement come about but i have yet to see any knife failure at the tang (or due to it not being full tang), but i've seen chipped or snapped blades (other brands) that are full tang and much more expensive than a mora.

Yes very true !! I love my Mora Robust !!

1. Where I live the plastic handle Mora is the el cheapo knife. Everyone has them in their tool sheds. Usually they are used at summer cottages to clean and prepare fish, to whittle sausage sticks etc. Also they are used by construction workers because they are decent but cheap.

2. Not to put you guys down, but considering that Mora is cheap puukko, there are tons of better ones. If you get hold of a Marttiini buy it, those have at least full tang. Also they have rubber handle knives, those were the ones I bought to my sons when they were in boy scouts.
Hi HFinn! I guess you live in Finland? ;).

1. Yes. A large number of moras are cheap. That doesn't mean they are sub quality knives. There is a vast # of different styles, steels and purposes. Most of them work very well in connection to what they are designed for. Cheap? Yes. Cheap? N0!! ;)

2. I think you'll have hard time to find a more priceworthy knives than the moras. Marttiini is not even close considering the practical view and price range. Also the steels in moras far surpasses the steels in Marttiini knives. The ergos are similar in many models. Thererfore I personally much prefer moras to Marttiinis.

Have a nice day,

~Paul~

2. I think you'll have hard time to find a more priceworthy knives than the moras.

So true. The quality to price ratio is amazingly high with Moras. One of the great examples of "more bang for the buck" in the knife world.

Btw, someone said above that Triflex blades are going away? The 780 is one of my favorite Moras. :( Better stock up while I can.

Back