New Mora Bushcraft Black

They are made in China, however the first batch was made in Sweden. Unfortunately, the manufacturing costs were too high.

~Paul~

I suspected this, but there's nothing wrong with them and they are great for the intended use.

Regards

Mikael

I suspected this, but there's nothing wrong with them and they are great for the intended use.

Regards

Mikael
Absolutely! I have two pcs from the first batch, made in Sweden. One made of stainless and one made of carbon steel (red and blue handles). They both perform very well!

~Paul~

We had one of those red hvk at work.
I found it on the ground at the recycling station, rusty and chipped as a saw.
After a few passes on the beltsander it was convexed and without a guard.

It did good service until a collegue forgot it outside of the workshop.
It rapidly changed ownership one more time!

Here it is together with the Bark River CPS-XHP steel Woodland Special.

View attachment 307340

The replacement is an orange made in China.

Regards

Mikael

We had one of those red hvk at work.
I found it on the ground at the recycling station, rusty and chipped as a saw.
After a few passes on the beltsander it was convexed and without a guard.

It did good service until a collegue forgot it outside of the workshop.
It rapidly changed ownership one more time!

Here it is together with the Bark River CPS-XHP steel Woodland Special.

View attachment 307340

The replacement is an orange made in China.

Regards

Mikael
Nice combo Mikael! Yes I kind of like the Hultas. The grip is comfy and the sheaths are adequate.

~Paul~

Pretty cool. I always overlooked Mora favoring big beefy blades instead. I can do smaller stuff alright with a stout blade but I realized it'd be a lot easier with something like this after watching a few bushcrafting vids on youtube. So I have a Mora companion 840mg saved in my online cart with a few other things waiting for payday. I have enough big choppy blades anyway. (What am I saying? No I don't.)

Pretty cool. I always overlooked Mora favoring big beefy blades instead. I can do smaller stuff alright with a stout blade but I realized it'd be a lot easier with something like this after watching a few bushcrafting vids on youtube. So I have a Mora companion 840mg saved in my online cart with a few other things waiting for payday. I have enough big choppy blades anyway. (What am I saying? No I don't.)
Welcome to the crowd :).

~Paul~

100_3297.jpg

100_3296.jpg

100_3291.jpg

100_3287.jpg

100_3283.jpg

100_3282.jpg

100_3281.jpg

100_3280.jpg

100_3278.jpg

100_3277.jpg

100_3268.jpg

100_3263.jpg

Moose

I'm still laughing, this is great!

For years, I've always preferred blade coatings on carbon steel for rust prevention. All the "traditionalists" get rid of the coating right away because they hate the "tactical" look. Now we have a Mora gone tactical. I can't wait to see how people start twisting themselves all into a knot trying to defend this. I can hear it now, "Yeah, but it's ok on a Mora!" This is gonna be good!

Moose, this is not directed at you, and for the record, I like this one, and will be ordering from Ragnar. I think the polite term is "irony"... :D

Great Pic's and I'm convinced, I will get one of the these new black Mora Bushcraft!

Regards

Mikael

For years, I've always preferred blade coatings on carbon steel for rust prevention. All the "traditionalists" get rid of the coating right away because they hate the "tactical" look. Now we have a Mora gone tactical. I can't wait to see how people start twisting themselves all into a knot trying to defend this. I can hear it now, "Yeah, but it's ok on a Mora!" This is gonna be good!

Moose, this is not directed at you, and for the record, I like this one, and will be ordering from Ragnar. I think the polite term is "irony"... :D

When I get one, it will be convexed on a beltsander...

Regards

Mikael

Nice combo Mikael! Yes I kind of like the Hultas. The grip is comfy and the sheaths are adequate.

~Paul~

The HVK gets a lot better, after the zeroedge is convexed.
Naturally the XHP powdersteel knife is beyond compare regarding..well,everything!

Regards

Mikael

No worries, I'm one of the folks that usually strip off the coatings.

But, most of the coatings I deal with , are epoxy paint. This one is quite different.

Its a DLC coating like what the ZT knives have, only not as thick. It has an RC of about 95 from what I could glom onto from teh interwebs. Its applied by passing current through the blade steel, then putting negatively charged, atomized tungsten carbides in the air, thus, forcing them to adhere to the steel, forming a permanent bond.

If anyone has a more info, I would love to hear more about the process.

I don't think the idea was to go "tactical", per say, but allow Morakniv to explore more options in their manufacturing process. Most coatings on knives are there to cover up tooling marks, and so on.

Yeah, there is some thought to resisting corrosion, but with use, all coatings wear, this one will just wear a little slower I think. I do know that I will find out soon, though.

You can see tooling marks on the edge, not sure if it came through in the pics, or not, but there is definite marks where the edge was ground.

I found that with most of my Moras, the edges would roll and chip pretty easy, until they had been sharpened a few times, later, I found out that the polishing process they use to eliminate the tooling marks, cause the steel to soften up. Only just a little, though, not the whole blade.

Whatever the reason behind the coating, I like it, and it looks good. It has a shine to it, but its thin enough that you can still see grain structure through it.

Good stuff, and I can't wait to see what else is around the bend. Mora's, what's not to love.

Moose

I like DLC coatings because they don't introduce as much extra friction during the cut as compared to epoxy/powder coatings. DLC and ti-nitride are still as smooth as the steel's surface finish and wear much better.

I can't tell from the pictures, but I assume the coating is not on the edge grind, or else that first sharpening might take a while. :D

If it's like a typical Mora then probably. Looks like it in the pics at least.

Sometimes I like to touch up knives on the spine of another knife I have on me, curious to see how it would work with this thin DLC coating. I remember my Paramilitary with DLC coating had a slightly chalk-like feel.

I can't tell from the pictures, but I assume the coating is not on the edge grind, or else that first sharpening might take a while. :D

Its on the the edge. Yeah, I suspect it will take a diamond hone to strip off the DLC, or maybe a heavy alum oxide. I had a slip up on my 302 when I was sharpening it, didn't get to the metal, but it put a noticeable scratch.

I guess there is a tiny micro bevel?

~Paul~

Yeah, a small, tiny micro bevel, but its coated too. Seems it was sharpened before it was coated, and there is a small burr on on the file side of the blade, coated as well.

I'll get to sharpening it after I do a performance review, probably this weekend, or sooner.

Moose

Back