1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Ratweiler pic thread.

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by cut it out, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Dicko

Dicko

Dec 28, 2014
    Just chemically, working on putting up a thread about it.:thumbup:

2. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    The nudie looks awesome man!

3. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Nice job Dicko!

The chemical strippers work well, just wipe on and let sit until the coating bubbles or gets loose. Make sure to do like Dicko did and etch the logo if you want to keep it. Or if you want it sterile, leave out the etching process. Don't worry about the scales the stripper doesn't seem to affect them.

4. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Might have to try that. Mine is tanker, which I've heard can be problematic. Am planning to see how it holds up first.

5. cut it out

cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
  6. crufflers

crufflers Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Nice. Now I can't decide if I want to mod sheaths or etch some coated blades today and break out the citristrip :) Great looking RW!

7. crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    Here's some pics of where the blade of a new 3/16" RW starts cutting into the liner. There's a BASIC and a couple Combat Masters. All mine are the new style liner without a screw retainer (velcro retainers for the liners). Maybe they are slimmer liners. I'll melt one and see if I can get it to fit. Edit post later if I take some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I changed my mind about modifying one of my sheaths till I buy one specifically for the RW to mess with. I looked for a donor and decided I don't have a tan sheath I want to take from a knife. Then I had a few bourbons and went ahead with it anyway :) Just a hair dryer and disposable Chinese chopsticks to stretch the mouth of sheath, and flatten the body of the liner all the way down. Looks decent. Fits decent. Only downside is I need to find a tan SpecOps on sale again for my poor homeless 711. Here's the liner of the latest style SPECOPS with the velcro facing back. That's what you are dealing with and a butter knife works great to separate while pulling the liner out.

[​IMG]
    Ratweiler sitting pretty
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  8. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    Dang. I had counted on using the Basic Modular sheath with my RW. I guess I'll have to see how it fits, but it looks like I'll be mod'ing a liner.

9. crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    If you have a heat gun, use it. Hair dryer barely got the job done. It is still a bit snug, I might resize again with the knife wrapped in painters tape inserted. Might also try to heat uniformly in oven first.

10. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    Be careful if you heat in the oven. Did you see the photo in another thread of one heated in the oven? It shrank to the point it was completely unusable for anything, it appeared.

11. crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't want a shrinky dink liner for sure.

12. crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    http://www.specopsbrand.com/knife-sheaths.html

Just discovered SPECOPS sells the liners for $13 if you do ruin one. Only ordered from them direct once when the Combat Master was on sale last year for $33. They ship fast.

Looking at kydex prices it would be cheaper to bend a custom liner... wouldn't have to be pretty.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  13. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    Agreed. Do that, throw some adhesive Velcro loop on the back, and you're good to go.

14. Mac77

Mac77

Apr 8, 2014
  15. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
  16. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Just received today.....
    [​IMG]

17. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    [​IMG]

18. crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    Looks great. Good color combo.

19. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Long lost brothers finally reunited!!
    [​IMG]

20. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    It drew blood within 10 minutes of opening the package. Time to go beat the snot out of it to teach it a lesson.