New Ratweiler pic thread.

It's the 3/16, the finger groove hits my hand just a little wrong. I may have to put a Beatin on it for a few weeks to see if it grows on me haha

Yeah the 1/4" just feels better in my hand (width of the handle), but the 3/16" is not bad. The lighter weight is noticeable though. Fit and finish is better on the 1/4" too (scale fit, tang seamlessness).

Didn't take any chopping pics but it bites deep. I love my SH-e but not sure which I would keep if had to sell one of them. I do like the Bowie shape on the RW better.

Unless you mold the insert, no. The large spec ops does work with the 3/16 LE without the need to mold it.

I thought I read somewhere that people were using SPECOP's 8", but they do not fit either of my RW's. 1/4" or 3/16" the blade is too wide. Maybe with some insert modding or replacement but it doesn't seem like a good fit to me. I'll revisit it and try a unmolded BASIC and Combat Master tonight. I think the one I was using last night was a Basic - I assume the same inserts but you never know. Didn't seem close enough to fitting to me.

Unless you mold the insert, no. The large spec ops does work with the 3/16 LE without the need to mold it.

I had a brand new black Basic received yesterday for a Tali LE and tried the new CG 3/16 which started to cut into the liner just like the 1/4" CG as soon as it cleared the tip.

Anyone think of a relatively way way/tool to use to melt and stretch the sides open from the inside? Might try heating up a file or butter knife tonight.

Thought about it more... I think I will try stretching after heating insert with a hair drier - maybe using the knife wrapped in tape. Only if the sheath will allow... might be too tight to expand and get the liner back in.

Last edited:
crufflers, is it just the thickness dimension, or are you saying that the blade edge is cutting into the liner in the width/height dimension?

I think the one my LE fits is the large combat master.

Just got mine. 100% the most interesting handled fixed blade I own. Can't wait to take it camping. :thumbup::thumbup:

The LE in a large spec ops combat master. My 3/16 CG fits but is tight. It would need a little work to be right. No way my 1/4" model is going in there.

crufflers, is it just the thickness dimension, or are you saying that the blade edge is cutting into the liner in the width/height dimension?

I think the one my LE fits is the large combat master.

The blade edge is cutting into the liner. I think properly molded either the 1/4" or 3/16" would fit. I think there is just enought slack in the sheath to allow the liner to go back in after stretching a bit or squaring off. Stock thickness should not be an issue as I use SPECOPS for .330" knives. It is the 1.75" width measurement. I can only tell you how my two new RW's fit (3/16" sage/tan and a 1/4" black/black) in a brand new Basic SPECOPS. I can try some Combat Masters and more Basics this weekend. I'll try modding one's liner.

Just have to figure which one is donating its sheath :) Lots of .30" .330" Regulators slide in with nice retention to SPECOPS. The flat ground Regulators like 6.5 and the new American are loose and require molding or they slip out even thought they have the .330" stock (or .30 plus coating). They slide in and slide out with no retention... the liners must be more open on the sides and come together in the center, so saber ground flats grab. I don't mind some friction on the flats of a coated blade like a parked Regulator or Mil Overrun where they fit and need no molding.

Last edited:
The blade edge is cutting into the liner. I think properly molded either the 1/4" or 3/16" would fit. I think there is just enought slack in the sheath to allow the liner to go back in after stretching a bit or squaring off. Stock thickness should not be an issue as I use SPECOPS for .330" knives. It is the 1.75" width measurement. I can only tell you how my two new RW's fit (3/16" sage/tan and a 1/4" black/black) in a brand new Basic SPECOPS.

Thank you for that.

So I'm thinking there may be some variance in the liners between the basic and the combat master. My 3/16 fits as far as the 1.75" dimension, but rubs on the thickness dimension.

Nice bunch of steel you've got there man. :thumbup:

Nice bunch of steel you've got there man. :thumbup:

Hey thanks. You too! I'll post if I discover anything or get the RW's to fit into a sheath. I am thinking it'll be an easy mod.

Could be variations in grinding too, but most likely the simple plastic liners like you said. I'll mic the blades and inside of sheaths if I get a chance.

The new Ratweiler has instantly become my 'end of the world' knife... It's phenomenal!

Made it my own...

Back