New Steel CPM MagnaCut available today

I called SB as well and they were supposed to call me back but hadn't heard anything about it and it hasn't showed up on the site.

yesterday along with my friend Tim Wright we heat treated nine large kitchen blades and four smaller ones

stacked 3 high in one pouch. Adequate soak time

everything went well and they all came out nicely except three had huge bends when they were pulled out of cryo- and it was concerning. I don’t know why and I don’t know what the root cause is. The other ones had slight bends but not a big deal

You can actually see those three blades here in my Instagram story https://instagram.com/stories/hsc3....ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=ighfdv6edgk3

I could not get the bends out in the temper even with counter bending but all blades with bends came out nicely with the carbide chisel. In Fact it was easy to over bend, over correct

all blades stacked came out with hardness in range

if I had to do it all over again and for next time I will stress relieve all the blanks beforehand and possibly even surface grind the mill scale off

Harbeer

Last edited:
yesterday along with my friend Tim Wright we treated nine large kitchen blades and four smaller ones

everything went well and they all came out nicely except three had huge bends when they were pulled out of cryo- and it was concerning. I don’t know why and I don’t know what the root cause is. The other ones had slight bends but not a big deal

You can actually see those three blades here in my Instagram story https://instagram.com/stories/hsc3....ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=ighfdv6edgk3

I could not get the bends out in the temper even with counter bending but all blades with bends came out nicely with the carbide chisel. In Fact it was easy to over bend, over correct

if I had to do it all over again and for next time I will stress relieve all the blanks beforehand and possibly even surface grind the mill scale off

Harbeer
What steel are they made from?

Hoss

yesterday along with my friend Tim Wright we treated nine large kitchen blades and four smaller ones

Harbeer

Harbeer
You just stressed me out. I have two ready for HT and I did surface grind both already. I don’t remember Larrin saying anything about stress relief but it sounds like a good idea. Just in case, can you elaborate on how you straightened your blades? Thanks!0287DA60-8392-4404-AAC3-4CFE0B50BF7E.jpeg

You just stressed me out. I have two ready for HT and I did surface grind both already. I don’t remember Larrin saying anything about stress relief but it sounds like a good idea. Just in case, can you elaborate on how you straightened your blades? Thanks!View attachment 1548835
No one ever says anything about a stress relief cycle. It’s something learned from experience taught to me.

it’s a way to taking no chances and standardizing the steels you work with.
That way you always reset the condition of any steel to a known level or start point.

I straighten hardened steel with a carbide chisel on an anvil.

Heads up, SB speciality has magnacut in stock! You have to call and speak with Scott on the phone.

Looks like it's only full sheets (24" x 36"). Some decent pricing though :thumbsup:

I thought unicorn horns were fibrous?

Heads up, SB speciality has magnacut in stock! You have to call and speak with Scott on the phone.

Looks like it's only full sheets (24" x 36"). Some decent pricing though :thumbsup:
I just talked to Scott and you can buy 36" long strips of CPM MagnaCut. No need for full sheets.

Must be very busy over there..., .

Must be very busy over there..., .
If it's anything like it was here on the 1st, then I bet it is. Give them a call at 817-649-2800 or 800-365-1168 to see what they have.

Frank is a stand up guy to deal with. :thumbsup:

Whoops my mistake, I wasn't paying close enough attention. :oops:

First, thanks nsm,for the response and numbers.
Things appear to be very hectic over there, no one I have talked to to-date knows anything and it sounds like the person in the know is perpetually out to lunch according to the entity(s) on the other end of the line.
Oh well, I always wanted to try M390 so now is as good a time as any.

First, thanks nsm,for the response and numbers.
Things appear to be very hectic over there, no one I have talked to to-date knows anything and it sounds like the person in the know is perpetually out to lunch according to the entity(s) on the other end of the line.
Oh well, I always wanted to try M390 so now is as good a time as any.
It may take them a while to get settled in with MagnaCut but they will do a great job once they get going.

We have plenty of CPM 20-CV in stock and ready to ship.

Back