New Steel CPM MagnaCut available today

Larrin Larrin
Do you have any opinion on how this steel is to mirror polish compared to say 440C or CPM154? Thanks for any info.

Anyone else? Talk to me... thx!

Last edited:
Larrin Larrin
Do you have any opinion on how this steel is to mirror polish compared to say 440C or CPM154? Thanks for any info.

Anyone else? Talk to me... thx!
There is some information in my article about the steel. Matthew Gregory said MagnaCut was easier to grind but past 240 grit or so the CPM-154 was easier to finish because of the softer carbides.

There is some information in my article about the steel. Matthew Gregory said MagnaCut was easier to grind but past 240 grit or so the CPM-154 was easier to finish because of the softer carbides.

Thanks, Larrin. I'll re-read to remember. I get to re-read a lot of things nowadays. :)
And I'll talk to Matt.
Grazie!

Hey Larrin Larrin ,

It may have been asked already, but it's this stuff forgeable by hand?
From what I’ve been told it forges very well for a stainless, similar to high alloy steels like 3V. It won’t forge like 1095 though.

From what I’ve been told it forges very well for a stainless, similar to high alloy steels like 3V. It won’t forge like 1095 though.

Thanks, have any body in mind I should talk to about it for specifics? Does it have a really small "forgeable" temp range? Red short etc?

Thanks, have any body in mind I should talk to about it for specifics? Does it have a really small "forgeable" temp range? Red short etc?
No I have t talked to anybody that has forged it by hand only people using power hammers and rolling mills. It has a relatively wide temperature range for forging. You shouldn’t go too hot just like with any steel. Like 2100F or so is good.

Just wanted to give this thread a bump. I have a custom coming in Magnacut coming in the next month or two and I'm very excited to try it out. Anyone on here able to try some Magnacut out yet and care to share results. I'm really hoping to see this steel make it's way into midtech/productions folders in some capacity in the upcoming year. A Spyderco sprint/exclusive, or maybe a midtech run from an established maker. I'm not usually willing to go over $200 for my folders, but I'll break the bank for the right folder in this steel. I have quite a lot of M390/20CV in my folders and it has never satisfied me because of the low toughness and chippiness when I've used it hard. Magnacut will seemingly remedy that.

Just wanted to give this thread a bump. I have a custom coming in Magnacut coming in the next month or two and I'm very excited to try it out. Anyone on here able to try some Magnacut out yet and care to share results. I'm really hoping to see this steel make it's way into midtech/productions folders in some capacity in the upcoming year. A Spyderco sprint/exclusive, or maybe a midtech run from an established maker. I'm not usually willing to go over $200 for my folders, but I'll break the bank for the right folder in this steel. I have quite a lot of M390/20CV in my folders and it has never satisfied me because of the low toughness and chippiness when I've used it hard. Magnacut will seemingly remedy that.
I think you'll see MagnaCut in some very nice production knives in the not too distant future.

I think I was the first maker to finish a knife in this steel. It is a nine inch chef’s knife with a wa handle.

It takes a very keen edge and has excellent edge holding. Kitchen knives don’t require a lot of toughness but at 62-62.5 hrc there is no chippiness.

This steel is a keeper. You can tell that the carbides are very small. This steel is well suited for any type of cutlery. Bottom line is that I love this steel.

Hoss

re jstn jstn :
From my testing so far, Magnacut - both control & my ht - performed very well at ~62rc. Upcoming test, spec will be ~64rc, differences often show up more at near boundary/limit hardness conditions. Also plan to test .14" & .18" thick Magnacut as well.

* if Larrin or anyone dislike this post, please don't quote, just reply a single :thumbsdown: (ref to bluntcut post) I will blank out this post. regards.
https://
imgur.com/OK2MDlD
imgur.com/kuny81Y
imgur.com/Dlvb6f6
You should attach your images better and provide a written explanation of what you think they demonstrate.

I think you'll see MagnaCut in some very nice production knives in the not too distant future.
That is exciting to hear! I would love to see it become relatively commonplace in higher end production knives, replacing some of the S35vn and m390 out there.

You should attach your images better and provide a written explanation of what you think they demonstrate.
Hey Larrin,

I intentionally posted links that way, not to blaster your thread... hence also my note about removal/blanking of my post. I've 3 videos annotated those 3 images, which discuss my tests. As you gather, magnacut is just one of many steels I tested cutting 16D nail and annealed 60D nail, where all edges are at 18dps (sharpened via edgepro finished with 600 grit diamond plate). Bottom line - I am impressed with Magnacut performance so far. Perhaps my tests are not solely focus on magnacut, thereby I will blank out my earlier post.

Hey Larrin,

I intentionally posted links that way, not to blaster your thread... hence also my note about removal/blanking of my post. I've 3 videos annotated those 3 images, which discuss my tests. As you gather, magnacut is just one of many steels I tested cutting 16D nail and annealed 60D nail, where all edges are at 18dps (sharpened via edgepro finished with 600 grit diamond plate). Bottom line - I am impressed with Magnacut performance so far. Perhaps my tests are not solely focus on magnacut, thereby I will blank out my earlier post.
It looks like MagnaCut did the best of the tested conditions and that the recommended heat treatment did better than your experimental heat treatment.

It looks like MagnaCut did the best of the tested conditions and that the recommended heat treatment did better than your experimental heat treatment.
In task completion context - Magnacut control (mfg ht protocol) indeed has minimal damage in compare with other steels. otoh, my ht is chasing after aebl & 3v in toughness.

Back