New Victorinox Outdoor Master?

Close but... not exacly. Check the swedge AND the grind. The Muela is clearly high hollow ground while the Victorinox is scandi (short flat saber ground). Steel for the Peccary is listed as MOVA, while the Vic has 1.4116. They could be the same steel with different names?

Could be the same blank with different grinds on the blade? Maybe... but as they sit now, they are NOT the same knife.

Mikel

you're right - it looks like the same steel with maybe slightly different tolerances? mova seems to be based out of Spain, while 4116 is Germany

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=MOVA-58,1.4116&ni=6612,623&hrn=1&gm=0

Close but... not exacly. Check the swedge AND the grind. The Muela is clearly high hollow ground while the Victorinox is scandi (short flat saber ground). Steel for the Peccary is listed as MOVA, while the Vic has 1.4116. They could be the same steel with different names?

Could be the same blank with different grinds on the blade? Maybe... but as they sit now, they are NOT the same knife.

Mikel
Thank you, Cap'n Obvious. :rolleyes: The Mic S is a scandi-version (read "worse grind for a knife") of the Peccary. Same sheath, same blade blank, same handle (scale material, liners, etc.), same steel, and almost certainly made by the same manufacturer Muela of Spain. It's like comparing the BK-16 saber vs FFG, or any company's serrated vs plain-edge versions of the same knife. If you wanted a Peccary but hated paying less money for a better grind, Victorinox has got you covered! ;)

Thank you, Cap'n Obvious. :rolleyes: The Mic S is a scandi-version (read "worse grind for a knife") of the Peccary. Same sheath, same blade blank, same handle (scale material, liners, etc.), same steel, and almost certainly made by the same manufacturer Muela of Spain. It's like comparing the BK-16 saber vs FFG, or any company's serrated vs plain-edge versions of the same knife. If you wanted a Peccary but hated paying less money for a better grind, Victorinox has got you covered! ;)

:D:D:D:D You just convinced me. I am going to order a few of them right now. Paying MSRP of course!

BTW, for anyone seriously considering this knife or the Peccary, keep in mind there is a design flaw in the sheath. It doesn't have any drainage holes so any water that gets inside, will stay there unless you remove the knife from the sheath. At least two spanish guys talked about rust issues in the blade (easily polished off) due to this issue.

If you hare handy enough, it shouldnt be hard to apply a blow gun to the bottom end of the sheath and with the help of rounded tip chopstic or something similar.

I know it is meant as a neck knife but if someone carries it in the regular upright position on the belt while raining or submerges it in water, you will definitely get water inside.

I hope it helps.

Mikel

Not sure if any has seen or stated this on here yet. but Victorinox USA has confirmed on the book of faces that these knives are in fact made my Muela in Spain. I'm kind of bummed its not Swiss made.

Not sure if any has seen or stated this on here yet. but Victorinox USA has confirmed on the book of faces that these knives are in fact made my Muela in Spain. I'm kind of bummed its not Swiss made.

That is double damning regarding the $200 price. Muela usually has low prices. I have a couple nice ones for well under $100 and they came with very nice leather sheaths. Even with the Victorinox branding these knives then should be more like $80. I like the style and sheath but way over priced. For $200 I can buy a Fallkniven F1 AND a Morakniv Garberg.

Reactions: MTB
Goodness, I just learned of this about 30 minutes ago because SMKW posted it to social media. At a glance, I love the design. A huge Victorinox fan anyway and love bushcraft. Beautiful knife, and it's a Victorinox! I was already making plans to take a ride to SMKW(I live in NE TN) as I looked it over...

Then I noticed....
Made in SPAIN!!! What the smell?!?! Why's it say Victorinox if it ain't even Swiss?!?!?!
It isn't even actually made by Victorinox!

Then I saw the price. WOW! They are PROUD of that! It's a very generic design and mediocre steel. In my opinion it isn't even really a Victorinox, just mislabeled. Plus the sheath isn't very well designed. I don't like it.

I was "all in" and ready to take a spontaneous road trip out of excitement of the idea, love of the basic design and Victorinox brand. After a closer look I think I've lost a little bit of that love. Or respect for the company. I'm staying home after all.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice looking knife. But if it ain't made in Switzerland in a Victorinox factory, it ain't a Victorinox. Y'all are wellcome to disagree. What I do see should say Muela on the blade and run about $60-75 imo. No disrespect to anyone that buys one. I'm sure it's a capable blade and it does look nice, but I wouldn't feel right carrying this.

Have a great day everybody.

Made in SPAIN!!! What the smell?!?! Why's it say Victorinox if it ain't even Swiss?!?!?!
It isn't even actually made by Victorinox!

Yeah. This is pretty much how I feel. I understand them outsourcing bags, clothing, and fragrances. I have no problem with that. Those aren't their areas of expertise. I will not buy a "Victorinox" knife that is not made in Switzerland. I'm not saying Muela makes bad knives. They might make great knives. But Im not buying a Vic labeled knife made in any other country. Sad, I was excited and hopeful when I made the OP.

Yes I’ve been saying that for years. I would love a Victorinox like a Leatherman Squirt!
Yes I’ve been saying that for years. I would love a Victorinox like a Leatherman Squirt!

One of the reasons I stopped working at Victorinox. They update their knives with a new scale color and thats it. No innovation for years. To bad. I really like the company and their values. But they need to step up their game and design some NEW knives. A smaller multitool would indeed be awesome.

.... But they need to step up their game and design some NEW knives. A smaller multitool would indeed be awesome.

The SAKs are what they are and while the design itself could use some slight changes (already tried in some models such as bi-material non-slip scales), they joy of those tools is that they work perfectly fine as they are.

One way to step up their game would be simply changing the steel of the cutting tools for something with better properties such as edge retention. That will drive up the price and catch the attention of knifenuts whoe don't want them as they are now for the soft steel.

Mikel

I think Victorinox has been innovative more than people give them credit for, but slower at it than most people want. I for one am glad they aren't putting out new products as fast as Buck, Gerber, Kershaw, etc, because most of the new stuff I have seen lacks quality and fails to stick around. Each manufacturer has a set of products that have long been proven and sells well. "Innovation" like I see with some of the manufacturers is just a waste of time, money, and raw material.

What I would like to see from Victorinox,
-A fixed blade actually made by Victorinox
-Better attachment for the scales. I never had a 91mm SAK whos scales didnt get loose eventually, but it is an easy fix.
-better blade steel just so people will stop whining(just kidding).
-Revamp of the Swisstool line. I LOVE the tool sets but wish they would tighten up the plier head a bit. Replaceable cutters similar to Leatherman would be nice too.

Last edited:
-better blade steel just so people will stop whining(just kidding).

Imagine a 91mm SAK with 59HRC LC200N steel. Super stainless (like the current 56 HRC 1.4110 steel) but much better wear resistance. And no downside (except the price).

Seems like Vic wants to cash in the bushcraft craze while leaning heavily on their name... FWIW, Muela knives are quite decent, although they seem very set in not deviating from 1.4116 or MOVA, pretty much the same. Other Spanish makers are making FFG or scandi "bushcrafters" in N690, 12c27, 14c28, K720 etc that look nicer than this one, and well under a 100 euros.

Seems like Vic wants to cash in the bushcraft craze while leaning heavily on their name...
I don't blame them. Vic has their name on many products and I know that when I see it is Victorinox, I tend to lean in their direction. But not with this knife. Plus I don't need another fixed blade anyway not that I will likely continue buying fixed blades because I like them.

1.4116 is the stainless steel that's used in Victorinox, Zwilling & Wusthof kitchen knives. Pretty basic & easy to sharpen. But way too expensive at $200..

A million reasons why this is an out-of-touch move on Victorinox's part. I suggested to them at SHOT years ago that they should get into the outdoor knife space and was told that they had thought about, it but didn't consider it consistent with their image (which I 100% disagreed with them on.) They should be competing in the Mora/Marttiini space, not in the space they bafflingly seem to have opted for. They should be producing them using their Forschner manufacturing infrastructure, too, not outsourcing them.

Last edited:
A million reasons why this is an out-of-touch move on Victorinox's part. I suggested to them at SHOT years ago that they should get into the outdoor knife space and was told that they had thought about, it but didn't consider it consistent with their image (which I 100% disagreed with them on.) They should be competing in the Mora/Marttiini space, not in the space they bafflingly seem to have opted for. They should be producing them using their Forschner manufacturing infrastructure, too, not outsourcing them.
Yes. They are producing their own 1.4116 blades for their chef & kitchen knives in Switzerland, why did they use Muela in Spain for these?

i suspect the victorinox management to
be exceptionally prudent in the running
of its core business .
considering also that it is very likely
something which might prove to be
economically unfeasible.for victorinox
to gear up for full production of sporting fixed blades,
when their specialty or rather their
workforce efficiency lies in the
manufacture of its swiss folders.
it would be far cheaper to repackage an
existing knife from its long time reliable
partner in spain by keeping the risk to a
minimum, thus preventing the possibility
of getting stuck with stockpiles of fresh
production materials and related equipment
in the outcome of a failed business venture
also remember they have more than just
knives in their brand lineup. i m guessing
its all outsorced too.
.. just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I have no problem with them outsourcing Muela with their design and branding. BUT, the price is way out of line. Either make it in-house with upgraded steel and charge $120, or outsource with their baseline steel at $60-$70.

This is likely going to be a failure and Victorinox will conclude they were right all along and stay out of the fixed knife business. Hopefully Muela uses this as inspiration for the US market.

Last edited:
Back