Newb here, and first post!

Here is another knife I can recommend - Opinel No.8:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GmYtNmnz9VmwWtgBrF0EVjxFJTKc9Il6/view?usp=drivesdk

I just checked. This knife goes for about $19 in the USA and you just can't get wrong with this knife. It's so cheap you can buy it just for fun. Absolute slicer. Very popular. Made of Sandvik 12c27mod steel. I have bunch of them in different sizes and they all perform.
This knife will give you all you need. It also has a very ergonomic handle.; it fits very nice in hand.
So; how about this knife? Do you like the look?
You can also get a carbon steel version. What do you like more - carbon steel or stainless steel?
I am strongly considering getting one of the Opinel No. 8, another member also suggested it to me. Thanks for sharing, I will probably go with the carbon steel.

T TheOne45
b6N6BE0.png

The guy has been given dozens of suggestions. Just finding this forum and deciding he'd like to get a new knife doesn't necessarily mean he's obsessing over it (yet). He might have a job, a wife, a dog, a kid, friends, a life, or even a bottle of bourbon to distract him from this thread and his knife search.
Think about how many people start these threads and never respond at all. It's been 10 years since he's carried a knife. He might not remember specific models, and they might not exist today anyway.
In a way, I can understand your frustration - your post reads like you are trying to solve a problem. He's just looking for a knife...don't take the fun out of it.

If T TheOne45 doesn't switch to decaf and take a less aggressive tone with the member and the community, another thread ban may be imminent.

Let's try to avoid that, shall we?

T TheOne45
b6N6BE0.png

The guy has been given dozens of suggestions. Just finding this forum and deciding he'd like to get a new knife doesn't necessarily mean he's obsessing over it (yet). He might have a job, a wife, a dog, a kid, friends, a life, or even a bottle of bourbon to distract him from this thread and his knife search.
Think about how many people start these threads and never respond at all. It's been 10 years since he's carried a knife. He might not remember specific models, and they might not exist today anyway.
In a way, I can understand your frustration - your post reads like you are trying to solve a problem. He's just looking for a knife...don't take the fun out of it.

Very nice post hhmoore hhmoore 👍

Welcome to Bladeforums U Uncle Lem 🍻

I am strongly considering getting one of the Opinel No. 8, another member also suggested it to me. Thanks for sharing, I will probably go with the carbon steel.
I have No.9 in carbon steel. It takes incredible-shaving edge and holds it admirably. If you have larger hands perhaps No9 would fit you better. I must say, I somehow avoid carbon steel but I like it on this knife. It gives me sort of nostalgic feeling-just steel without chrome and those small balls in the steel they call them carbides.
In short, you can go wrong with Opinel. And, it's so cheap it won't stop you getting another (more serious) knife.

Oh, I forgot... the first knife is PF719. It goes for about $30 in the USA.

Nice written, I agree. Sorry again.

I have No.9 in carbon steel. It takes incredible-shaving edge and holds it admirably. If you have larger hands perhaps No9 would fit you better. I must say, I somehow avoid carbon steel but I like it on this knife. It gives me sort of nostalgic feeling-just steel without chrome and those small balls in the steel they call them carbides.
In short, you can go wrong with Opinel. And, it's so cheap it won't stop you getting another (more serious) knife.

Oh, I forgot... the first knife is PF719. It goes for about $30 in the USA.
I’ve been looking at the No8, from what I can tell, it looks like it would be a good carrying size and it sounds like it would be fairly strong and capable of most tasks. Thanks for the additional info.

I think the No8 is a great choice.
1N6jBvQ.jpeg

The one pictured is black palm - I reshaped the handle and was thrilled with the outcome. (I ended up giving that one away. I replaced it; but have not yet done the handle on the new one - yet another project that got set aside and forgotten. Now that I've remembered, I'll have to follow through in the near future...assuming I can find it before I forget, lol)

*Edited to add
U Uncle Lem this is the 3318 I mentioned a couple days ago. I put it in my pocket the next day.
I24ASjX.jpeg

Case makes another 3 blade Stockman - similar in size, but with squared bolsters. Model 63032
SKHHg6S.jpg

**Edited again, to add
I still think you want a Spider Monkey 😁
If you aren't into the carbon fiber, they've done it with copper scales (heavier) as well as G10. I bought the copper first, and liked it so much I bought the CF to carry at work. IF it appeals to you, watch the Exchange - they POP up periodically, usually for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
1N6jBvQ.jpeg

The one pictured is black palm - I reshaped the handle and was thrilled with the outcome. (I ended up giving that one away. I replaced it; but have not yet done the handle on the new one - yet another project that got set aside and forgotten. Now that I've remembered, I'll have to follow through in the near future...assuming I can find it before I forget, lol)

*Edited to add
U Uncle Lem this is the 3318 I mentioned a couple days ago. I put it in my pocket the next day.
I24ASjX.jpeg

Case makes another 3 blade Stockman - similar in size, but with squared bolsters. Model 63032
SKHHg6S.jpg

**Edited again, to add
If you aren't into the carbon fiber, they've done it with copper scales (heavier) as well as G10. I bought the copper first, and liked it so much I bought the CF to carry at work. IF it appeals to you, watch the Exchange - they POP up periodically, usually for reasonable prices.
I love the color of those handles, I will definitely choose that color over the lighter handled ones I looked at. Also, I know now I will have to have a 3318, that is a sweet little knife. I’ve also been looking at the Spyderco, thank goodness Christmas isn’t too far away!😊😉

1N6jBvQ.jpeg

*Edited to add
I24ASjX.jpeg

SKHHg6S.jpg

**Edited again, to add
Is the bottom one in the picture the one you reshaped the handle on?

Is the bottom one in the picture the one you reshaped the handle on?
The bottom is a fixed blade made by M.McAlevy M.McAlevy
The top is the Opinel I reshaped.
They look good together, IMO

You missed the boat on a Black Palm Opinel 8, unless you can find one on the secondary market. It was a limited offering that has been sold out for about a year. Last time I looked, ebony was still an available option...albeit an expensive one.
I had a spare 3318, but I sent that to a person in need of a yellow handled case.
At which Spyderco are you looking? I think a few have been mentioned.

Last edited:
The bottom is a fixed blade made by M.McAlevy M.McAlevy
The top is the Opinel I reshaped.
They look good together, IMO

You missed the boat on a Black Palm Opinel 8, unless you can find one on the secondary market. It was a limited offering that has been sold out for about a year. Last time I looked, ebony was still an available option...albeit an expensive one.
I had a spare 3318, but I sent that to a person in need of a yellow handled case.
At which Spyderco are you looking? I think a few have been mentioned.
Just my luck, always a day late, and a dollar short!🤣 I may check on eBay if that’s an option, I really like the darker finish. The Spyderco I was looking at was the Delica-4. What are your favorite models? Do you prefer the Carbon Steel or Stainless in the Opinel. I think I will go with the walnut handle.

Last edited:
I'm an "old timer".-70+
I carried traditional knives my whole life but recently got a Spyderco Delica Wharncliffe.
A lot easier to open with my arthritic hands. Very utilitarian,well made knife in your budget range.
Now I carry both. Delica for big jobs and a traditional for small jobs.
Or maybe the traditional out of nostalgia and I have so many of them.

I'm an "old timer".-70+
I carried traditional knives my whole life but recently got a Spyderco Delica Wharncliffe.
A lot easier to open with my arthritic hands. Very utilitarian,well made knife in your budget range.
Now I will have an excuse to buy the Spyderco too!😊 Things are definitely looking up!🤣

I'm an "old timer".-70+
I looked up the Spyderco Wharncliffe, I definitely want one of these, looks very durable. Thanks for recommending this model. 👍🏻😊

The only Opinel I've owned was inox...only because the ones that have appealed to me were not available in carbon.

I think my favorite Spyderco was the Advocate. The Mantra 2 used to be in second; but I'm over flippers that don't have alternative ways to open...so I guess my K390 Delica might have taken that spot.
vzXclby.jpg

My Mantra 2, just because...
3RqSHDf.jpg

I'm an "old timer".-70+
I looked up the Spyderco Wharncliffe, I definitely want one of these, looks very durable. Thanks for recommending this model. 👍🏻

The only Opinel I've owned was inox...only because the ones that have appealed to me were not available in carbon.

I think my favorite Spyderco was the Advocate. The Mantra 2 used to be in second; but I'm over flippers that don't have alternative ways to open...so I guess my K390 Delica might have taken that spot.
vzXclby.jpg

My Mantra 2, just because...
3RqSHDf.jpg
I really like the looks of the K390 Delica, I haven’t seen any with wooden handles! It’s very nice!

U Uncle Lem - sometimes things are better with change. I actually liked the stock FRN color on the k390; but I wanted wood to go with something else. Unfortunately, I think they went with something they considered close enough. It looks great...it just doesn't look right.
I had the Mantra 2 Cerakoted and the blade etched.

McAlevy Knives are terrific. Matt posts here, Every knife I've seen him post is stellar. Sheaths are also very well done.

Old pics, T-B: Bird & Trout, Hunter purchased off the maker's Exchange.

view

view

Back