Nice little experience just now with CS's online ordering

Following up from my last post, a package arrived from GSM without warning containing the order I previously cancelled (a Drop Forged Survivalist and a Drop Forged Bowie). I never got a refund or any further correspondence regarding my order. My wife was NOT enthused to watch me unbox 2 new bowies in the midst of an expensive time of year, so I suppose my only complaint at this point was that GSM didn't notify me and give me a chance to intercept the package. Clear violation of the knife-bro code.

More evidence that the new owners just don't understand their customers.:D

It's nice that some of you got your orders I still havent. Ordered on the 9th and live in the same state as the new company I guess the only good news is they didn't charge my credit card. They also never replied to my emails or calls so I guess they don't care.

I’m just curious, why buy directly from Cold Steel’s site? Why not from BladeHQ or Knife center?

Just that I always got my CS knives from a trusted local reseller and I never had any problems.

Shanghai Warrior 44.95-49.99 plus S&H at those sites vs 25.00 with free shipping during the sale. 25bux is 25bux and there was some other stuff that was almost as much of a savings. Heck since Cold Steel got sold I've also bought from Midway and Amazon and wherever else I can find stuff I want at a price I'm willing to pay.

I had a bunch of the discontinued drop forged knives in my cart for weeks, should have just done it. Too late now.

It also looks like the price on the new version dropped forged survivalist with scales jumped by $40+ dollars.

Order update:

Orders placed on 12/07 and 12/15 were received early this morning (Christmas Eve) via FedEx. Very small order (polymer push knife, $5.99) placed on 12/10 has not yet been received.

They did indeed ship out of Irving, TX, not Ventura, CA. I wonder when they actually began shipping out of TX?

If GMSO began the physical inventory move and the ERP migration on or after the public notice of the sale of the company, given the impact of the pandemic and the Christmas rush, they are doing a hardcore yeoman's job of it. Many would have delayed the move until after Christmas and New Years.

However, GMSO has also done a hardcore poor job of communicating their behind the scene's actions, leading to delays and customer confusion/consternation.

I wonder if GMSO has a centralized order fulfillment operation in Irving that services all of its brands?

Last edited:
I had a bunch of the discontinued drop forged knives in my cart for weeks, should have just done it. Too late now.

It also looks like the price on the new version dropped forged survivalist with scales jumped by $40+ dollars.
3a116884945f870924f1ffd3f36fc015.png

it is called a crap company
Malarkey. It's called a company migrating physical inventory from CA to TX and their ERP system, during a pandemic/Christmas rush. GSMO should be communicating a whole lot better. No question there. But judgements like yours are both inaccurate and offensive.

Malarkey. It's called a company migrating physical inventory from CA to TX and their ERP system, during a pandemic/Christmas rush. GSMO should be communicating a whole lot better. No question there. But judgements like yours are both inaccurate and offensive.

And you know all of this for a certainty how?
You still haven't addressed any of the questions posed about your affiliation.
No one has appointed you as the arbitrator of accuracy or objectionable behavior.

To address the questions of why order from CS during the current circumstances...

Before 12/3/20 the last time I bought from them directly was 10+ years ago.
I bought then for the same reason I did recently.
The price was lower than I'd ever seen it.

I wasn't 100% aware on 12/3 of any transition issues. The holiday sale had been going on for a bit. I decided to take advantage of the low prices.
I didn't know if the purchase site was doing business as usual or whether or not the staff was gutted so I assumed since the items were still listed as in stock all was well for that department.
If I'd known the full story I may have passed but to my knowledge the only people who knew exactly what was going on would have been CS employees or management.
Rumors and speculation didn't keep me from trying to save some money and get a particular model that was being discontinued even before the sale of the company.

Lack of knowledge not intelligence led me to the purchase decision. If you had the foresight to avoid such a purchase I commend your wisdom.
As I previously stated,lesson learned.

It's easy to watch from the sidelines and criticize or act as an apologist for the company in question if you aren't affected by the current circumstances.

Last edited:
Wonders never cease...
I just received a notice from FedEx that I have a package from GSM coming this Saturday.

One simple email response could have alleviated any concerns I had.
I'll report here if all is well or otherwise after I get the package.

It's interesting. The orders' packing lists say:
  • COPY: Sold To: Web Orders; 55 Lawrence Ave.; EAST AURORA, NY, 14052; United States. (parcel #1) (looks like a house in the middle of the woods?)
  • COPY: Sold To: Web Orders; 6388 hay, rd.; butler, OH 44822; United States . (parcel #2) (Looks like another house in the middle of the woods?)
Not sure what that means? Regional fulfillment centers? I don't think so... Contract bookkeepers working from home?

Last edited:
Sure would be credible of CS/GMSO to come out of hiding and make a presence here at BF - or, conversely, come out of the closet if such were already the case.

Still waiting on a 12/9 order.:(
For a Shanghai Shadow? CS now shows them out of stock. I suspect you'll either receive it in a day or two, else your knife is still in a container ship on the Pacific. That'll mean a couple of weeks plus, at this point. Hang in there! ;)

For a Shanghai Shadow? CS now shows them out of stock. I suspect you'll either receive it in a day or two, else your knife is still in a container ship on the Pacific. That'll mean a couple of weeks plus, at this point. Hang in there! ;)

I got the Shanghai Warrior.
I hate how they charged my card without shipping me my knife. That's pretty shady. I may have make a trip to my Credit Union to dispute the charge if it doesn't come this week. I can't wait forever.
I don't see how the customer service could be any worse.

Last edited:
Back