No Vacation! Starring Snark W. Griswold

Status
Not open for further replies.
The work I did, consisted of removing the NRV, (non return valve, we call a check valve) replacing the pip with viton, from the original cork pip, add new lead washer on the NRV and reinstall, change all the gasket/seals, from the fuel cap, to the reserve cap, to replacing the lead gasket where the burner mounts to the fount, to new burner seals, above and below the spirit cup, (old were asbestos, and leaked fuel), and replacing the leather cup seal on the pump. I also purchased a new windscreen for it, as this model didn't have one. The brass one I purchased, is next to a black one from my Optimus 111B. The black one fit my 45, but the brass one had a wider edge/lip/roll:

I placed the one from the 111B over the new brass one, and traced a general guide line:

I had purchased a Dremel like tool, and chose a grinding stone:

Started grinding for a bit, and the flame ring, in this case from my 111B, just started fitting in it:

A little more grinding, and she fit like a glove:

Soft brass clogged up the grinding stone some:

But anywhos, it turned out great:

I may have one that came with that tool.

Figured so. It came with quite a few different bits. Some look to be cheaply made. It's a Chinese knock off. 4 1/2 stars out of 1900 reviews. Was gifted a $25 gift certificate for Christmas, so I only had to pay $17 for it.

Got this one in today. Radius No.21. My first Radius stove, and also my first nickel plated stove:

Dang, Dubz, that one is pretty too.

Does it need any work? Sure doesn't look like it from here.
It sure does. I have 2 others of similar size, that I ordered kits for. But since I got this one in, I'll use one of them for it. Old stoves always need the fuel cap seal replaced, as they get brittle, and don't seal well anymore. The fuel tank can't pressurize properly as a result. This is the number one problem of stoves not working. Also, the spirit cup is loose, as the burner gaskets no longer exist. Plus, someone took the burner apart, installed the windscreen upside down, and put it back together. As a result, you can't remove the windscreen. The pump cup is completely dry, which I'm sure is also rotten. I haven't got a date for this one, but I'm guessing in the 50's.

It sure does. I have 2 others of similar size, that I ordered kits for. But since I got this one in, I'll use one of them for it. Old stoves always need the fuel cap seal replaced, as they get brittle, and don't seal well anymore. The fuel tank can't pressurize properly as a result. This is the number one problem of stoves not working. Also, the spirit cup is loose, as the burner gaskets no longer exist. Plus, someone took the burner apart, installed the windscreen upside down, and put it back together. As a result, you can't remove the windscreen. The pump cup is completely dry, which I'm sure is also rotten. I haven't got a date for this one, but I'm guessing in the 50's.
Well it sounds like it landed in good (if enormous) hands.

Braved the grocery store today. Got a fine haul, should be good for awhile. Some sweet custom micarta arrived in the mail too. Feelin' pretty good, hopefully I didn't brush with the plague. :p

There was a minor quake this evening south west of Palm Springs near Anza Ca., 4.9 they claim. I felt the slightest tickle of it. I remember people's reaction to quakes who never felt one when I was in the military. Pretty entertaining listening to the whooping and hollering. :p

I haven't got a date for this one, but I'm guessing in the 50's.
Someone responded with, "Tank clearly marked โ€œRadius Ltd.โ€ so post 1939/40 and before 1962 when production stopped." That particular windscreen was in the 1920 Radius catalog, but the "Ltd." on the tank, put's it later. That windscreen did appear again in the 1956 catalog. So probably between 1956, and 1962. My guess was in the right era anywhos.

EDIT: I found this in the margin, on the instructions that came with it, perhaps 1951:

Last edited:
Good luck to all and hope everyone has enough to hunker down for as long as possible :thumbsup: went grocery shopping yesterday lots of coughing around made for a not so pleasant experience :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back