Off Topic Not even a snark-wide pandemic can keep us down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the dividend. It’s a smaller blade that is more robust than the leek. As you can see above, I have the m390 and s35vn versions. I was eyeballing the composite (it looks very cool) and a Damascus version but talked myself out of it as I don’t really have a need for them. I’ve been buying way too many knives and am at the point, mainly because of space, where I would rather get a higher end compared to several lower cost knives.

Funny because i just talked myself out of a $280 knife. Figured i didnt need it since i have so many others. Then i turn around and spend 200 on 3 knives of less(most likely) quality. Over 230ish is hard of me to justify. Though i doubt the quality from say 160 to 260 is worth the 100. That being said, i too have more knives than i am able to give attention to. When i was young i loved some damascus. I wont spend the money on it now. Just not worth it to me. While ive been focussing more on quality, i tend to also buy a less expensive variant of it as a beater, or work knife. Bad habits die hard.

took a half day off work today to go deer hunting.
it was such a let-down.
got all dressed up, fresh thermos of tea, etc....
started walking out to the stand in the back side of the property and as I was stepping over a fence, I had to stop and unstick my pants leg from the barbed wire - when I looked back up, there was a doe in the rise about 60 yards from me.
just staring at me.
just. staring. at. me...

so I took my time taking the rifle back off safe, aimed and shot her.
put it back on safe, finished stepping over the fence, chambered a new round, and went looking.
she made it about 15 yards from where I saw her.

totally ruined a nice, quiet afternoon in the stand, watching nature and ignoring the world!

Sometimes, a deer just insists on morphing into venison. Enjoy the easy harvest. They don't occur that often. I've had 10 days already this year where a deer was never seen all day. You can always go sit in the stand when deer season is over or you've filled your tags. I've watched way more birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc from the deer blind than I have deer.

Funny because i just talked myself out of a $280 knife. Figured i didnt need it since i have so many others. Then i turn around and spend 200 on 3 knives of less(most likely) quality. Over 230ish is hard of me to justify. Though i doubt the quality from say 160 to 260 is worth the 100. That being said, i too have more knives than i am able to give attention to. When i was young i loved some damascus. I wont spend the money on it now. Just not worth it to me. While ive been focussing more on quality, i tend to also buy a less expensive variant of it as a beater, or work knife. Bad habits die hard.

Yeah, I think once you get over about $150, it's more about "Is THIS the knife you want" (materials, ergos, finish, lines, maker, etc.) vs. performance or basic build quality. And I say that as a knifemaker. I mean yeah, you can get higher-end finishes or more attention to detail, but only to a point, especially with working knives made to be used. And sometimes you don't get that either, just the fancy name. Expensive knives are a luxury good. And it's delightful that we can enjoy luxury items that aren't vehicles costing tens of thousands of dollars or non-useful beautiful things. If you can afford to treat yourself and aren't shortchanging something else important, enjoy doing so. I think one should be honest with oneself about want/need/tool/art. Knives can be tricky since those things are often tangled up together.

Also, I'm buying guitar gear recently, and going through the same process. :p

As mobile tool vendors all know, people buying tools will also likely buy various knives, if afforded the opportunity. I've been eyeballing a certain CRKT on our local tool truck for a long while, until cash coincided with opportunity, that is.
So, yesterday this 'Minimalist' cleaver came to stay for a while.

Yep, sometimes a knife has something a little extra or something specific that you want and it makes it worth it to spend that extra money. Most of us work hard for our money so its nice when we can buy something expensive for ourselves.

Ive bought knives that afterwards i came to the realization i could have bought a gun for that price and id much rather have bought a gun.

As mobile tool vendors all know, people buying tools will also likely buy various knives, if afforded the opportunity. I've been eyeballing a certain CRKT on our local tool truck for a long while, until cash coincided with opportunity, that is.
So, yesterday this 'Minimalist' cleaver came to stay for a while.

Yeah ive been guilty. Sometimes its all about convenience. Come to me and offer me a knife too much, im going to buy it.

took a half day off work today to go deer hunting.
it was such a let-down.
got all dressed up, fresh thermos of tea, etc....
started walking out to the stand in the back side of the property and as I was stepping over a fence, I had to stop and unstick my pants leg from the barbed wire - when I looked back up, there was a doe in the rise about 60 yards from me.
just staring at me.
just. staring. at. me...

so I took my time taking the rifle back off safe, aimed and shot her.
put it back on safe, finished stepping over the fence, chambered a new round, and went looking.
she made it about 15 yards from where I saw her.

totally ruined a nice, quiet afternoon in the stand, watching nature and ignoring the world!

Sometimes, a deer just insists on morphing into venison. Enjoy the easy harvest. They don't occur that often. I've had 10 days already this year where a deer was never seen all day. You can always go sit in the stand when deer season is over or you've filled your tags. I've watched way more birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc from the deer blind than I have deer.

Youngest son and I have had a few deer and squirrel days this year. We considered shooting an armadillo one afternoon, but it was still early.

Went out yesterday and had plenty of time sitting and watching. Eventually the two does we've seen a couple of times showed up in the gaps at the far tree line - well beyond confidant shooting. A little while later they trotted in from the side at 30 yards and kept on trotting out of sight at 300 yards. Moving faster than the boy was ready for. Just before shooting hours ended, a spike buck showed up and kept turning himself broadside until we couldn't stand it anymore.

He'll be back from the processor in about a week.

Ha! I feel the same way about folders or knives in general too. That's why I own a bunch of Becker knives and none from bark river... I'd rather buy 5 Rat 1s than a ZT. Well I used to I guess? I've looked at 200usd+ knives A LOT but nothing tickled my fancy that much other than the Spydiechef. I have had one on loan for two years now that's going back for Christmas so I might need one anyway... But, I pulled the trigger and got myself a Spyderco Swayback in the meantime.
Most I ever spent on a folder but I'm really happy with my purchase. I think. :D

Well I finally got exposed, and unfortunately it wasn't a wardrobe malfunction.

Heading to the doc for a rapid test in a few hours.

Wife gave me a $50 card for the zon a few days ago for my birthday. It's funny, I used to have a list of outdoorsy things I've wanted over the years, but filled that list up quite some time ago. I have no idea what to use it for.

Happy 1st night of Hanukkah, all! :)

Happy Hanukkah!
Candles are traditional, so I lit up the woodstove.
Being a good half-Jew, I threw a sweet piece of thick-cut local fancyfarm bacon into my Giswold #6 and made a killer omelette. Wiped out the remaining hot grease with a paper towel and threw it in the stove to get the whole neighborhood high. I'm cool like that, very sharing. Miracle bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back