NOTICE TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago, when I found BladeForums, this thread would probably have resulted in me writing off BF. It's very easy to forget to be civilized when you're behind a keyboard - I've done it myself more times that I care to admit.

We need to remember, though, one of the main reasons BF has been successful is the civil tone that is most often the rule here. Let's try to stay attractive to the new folks. If we don't, we'll be the ones losing out.

We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Welcome Michelle!

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 16 September 1999).]

Sal, I'm sorry I couldn't respond to you immediately but I've been out of town doing market research. I must have struck a nerve for you to react so strongly and some time has passed so I won't react quite as strongly as I might have a couple of days ago.

1. Strike one--I concede. I don't sell your products. I've bought them before but the prices charged by the Cutlery Shoppe were reasonable and fair in the market--actually quite good!

2. Strike two--I'm not an ELU, except perhaps in the mind of your marketing department. I do not now buy your knives so I cannot possibly be an End Line User to you. Notice some of those posting here have said it's OK with them if you call them an ELU, and some have indicated they were not pleased to be called ELU's. No one said "Please call me an ELU, I like it!" I don't care what you call those who buy your knives within the walls of your domain but take the hint that people generally don't like to be de-personalized with "marketing speak."

Strike 3--I do not want to work in your HR department, I have worked in that field before for organizations larger than yours, and didn't enjoy that part of organizational structure. I'm happy with the decision I made to move to R&D. But your offer to have me do so perhaps should be given to someone else because it seems yours organization could use it. I am ignorant of the facts surrounding Danelle's dismissal, and should remain so in fairness to her. But if you feel some, including myself, have been unfair to you, perhaps it is because there is always another way to handle things which, perhaps, could have prevented all this. You are the one who made her a very visible representative of your company by putting her on this forum. Perhaps you could have removed her from the forum for some time before her termination. This would have the effect allowing forumites to cut their emotional ties and later we might never have known she had left.

At the company where I work, we have a company newsletter with a curse. Anyone whose picture appears on the cover for doing something outstanding, seems to get terminated within six months. Ms. Espinosa, if I were you, I'd be worried.

When you say I am not banned from the forum, the intimation there is the possibility. It's your football, you can kick it any way you want. But understand my purpose here is to point out that things could have been handled another way that might have prevented all this ire.

Thanks for your time--Bruce Woodbury

[This message has been edited by bruce (edited 17 September 1999).]

Bruce - no problem. This IS an OPEN forum (and a good one, I might add). Differences of opinion are accepted, even welcome.

Our company "Pulse" doesn't hav a "curse" section. I guess we're too small (60 crew)

Michelle is one of the best we have. If she's not perfect, forgive and be patient, she's young. Personally, Spyderco would love to have more like her.

Though we don't think of it as "market speak", I will accept that you do not wish to be referred to as an ELU and will refrain from doing so. What would you like me to refer to you as?

sal

Sal, I hate it when someone disarms me with conciliation! My friends call me Bruce. And BTW, Spyderco makes great knives! If I hadn't shot my mouth off above, it would be easier finding someone to sell me a full size Wegner or Military. But I'll figure it out somehow. Before my recent retirement as a Colonel in the Idaho Army National Guard, if anyone asked for a folding knife recommendation, several Spydercos were always in the top five!

Bruce Woodbury

I second (or third) the motion on all of us just getting along!

(And, in my experience, full size Wegners have not been hard to find
smile.gif
)

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Bruce - Truth is truth and pobody's nerfect. I always enjoy intelligent opinions.

We will still build our pieces for the ELU & Bruce (as opposed to building them for the dealer or the disributor, whose core interests are different)

I'm gonna have to close this thread (sorry) it's just too long. If anyone wants (or needs) to further explore, please begin another thread.

sal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back