Now Hurricane Maria!!!--Hurricane Irma-

The power grid for most of the US is at least 40 years out of date. 80% of our local power grid is the same stuff as when it was first ran. The power lines in front of my house are the original lines from when power was first ran here. They are almost bare wire. Looking for power outages widespread here tomorrow and Wednesday.

Yeah, outages are a given, Im just waiting for the power to go out. I could kick myself for not buying that sweet briggs and straton 2kw generator, it can run electronics and anything else. 600 bucks, it was sitting in my amazon cart but I was too cheap to buy it before I needed it. Of course I ordered it wednesday, but who know when I'll get it. That was a dumb move, should have bought it long ago. Id be all set with a generator.

As long as you have lots of water and food, power is a luxury. Don't beat yourself up too much. Rest assured knowing that you'll have Everything you might need next time around.

As long as you have lots of water and food, power is a luxury. Don't beat yourself up too much. Rest assured knowing that you'll have Everything you might need next time around.

Thanks, you are right. And that might be sooner the later the way this hurricane season is going.

Got my 2 generacs ready to go, a 4800 watt and a 6500. We have or own well but its 10 acres away so it needs its own generator to run the tank and pump

My buddy lives down in the camps so he gave me a 50 gallon barrel of gas to borrow or useif needbe... these damn hurricanes always head for florida then beeline right over to me in southeast LA

Got my 2 generacs ready to go, a 4800 watt and a 6500. We have or own well but its 10 acres away so it needs its own generator to run the tank and pump

Whereabouts are you? Looks like Irma is dudding out. Category 2 now, when it comes to Tampa Bay it will be category 1, plus its moving east now. Might be too early to celebrate but we may have dodged a bullet.

Yeah, outages are a given, Im just waiting for the power to go out. I could kick myself for not buying that sweet briggs and straton 2kw generator, it can run electronics and anything else. 600 bucks, it was sitting in my amazon cart but I was too cheap to buy it before I needed it. Of course I ordered it wednesday, but who know when I'll get it. That was a dumb move, should have bought it long ago. Id be all set with a generator.

We bought a 7000w Briggs and Stratton about 6 months ago and so glad we had it! Kept the fridge from going bad, kept us and the baby cool and entertained!

I would say though, if you have a choice between a propane and a gasoline plant, get the propane. It last longer and tends to be easier to find than gasoline during these things. Plus, you don't have to worry about a lot of the maintenance that you do with the gasoline. And you can store the propane long term without it going bad like unleaded. Lot of people in PR run propane plants on their house and runs for days

We bought a 7000w Briggs and Stratton about 6 months ago and so glad we had it! Kept the fridge from going bad, kept us and the baby cool and entertained!

I would say though, if you have a choice between a propane and a gasoline plant, get the propane. It last longer and tends to be easier to find than gasoline during these things. Plus, you don't have to worry about a lot of the maintenance that you do with the gasoline. And you can store the propane long term without it going bad like unleaded. Lot of people in PR run propane plants on their house and runs for days

Thanks for the tip Adian :thumbsup:

After 18 hours of no power/internet, we are back to go!! Thankfully, the only damage is to trees, and they didn't hit anything on their way down. Hope everyone else is doing well.

After 18 hours of no power/internet, we are back to go!! Thankfully, the only damage is to trees, and they didn't hit anything on their way down. Hope everyone else is doing well.

At least now you have ample of reasons and excuses to break out the busse knives and "take care" of the trees. :D

If only!! My first Busse's haven't shipped yet, due to carriers not delivering around here.

We got lucky, no issues except a couple rotted fence posts blew over which is a good thing because Ive been meaning to replace them for a little while. Well, three years really, so its good that I cant procrastinate any more :)

The family and I have been dealing with Hurricane Irma all day after it smacked us here in Puerto Rico today.

Island has gone totally dark and hearing that there is very extensive damage around the southern tip of the island.

We have another few hours before it has totally left our shores.

Any of you Hogs in Florida or any other locales that she will hit, prepare and get someplace safe if you can. She is one nasty storm. And take advantage of the fact that you can hop in a car and drive someplace to get away from it. All we can do on the island is hunker down in the house and wait it out.

Take care guys and be safe!

And now this?

175516_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Geez. Only two weeks between major hurricanes?
Apart from that, how are you liking Puero Rico?
Take care and stay safe.

And now this?

175516_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Geez. Only two weeks between major hurricanes?
Apart from that, how are you liking Puero Rico?
Take care and stay safe.
This is my 3rd hurricane in 4 weeks. I was in Texas when Harvey hit, then Irma and now Maria. Irma kinda brushed by us, but Maria is making a direct hit and is projected to exit the island right at my house!!!

For some crazy reason the city already shut the water off to "prepare" for the rains that is two days out. So now no water to put in the tubs for sanitation. Telling ya, idiots!

It's supposed to be paradise but we are actually pretty miserable here. Hot all the time. Only AC there is is Wall units, and electricity is so expensive you can't cool the whole house. Everything costs MUCH more. People can't drive and tend to be very inconsiderate (just walk to the front of the line someplace like you weren't even there, speed up so you can't change lanes when you put on your blinker, drive 1/2 the posted speed limit and block both lanes of traffic, etc).

2 years left and we get to go back to the states.

Beaches are great! Diving is good. Great to visit, not to live.

Batten down the hatches!!! :eek: Stay safe down there! CRAZY hurricane season this year!!!

This is my 3rd hurricane in 4 weeks. I was in Texas when Harvey hit, then Irma and now Maria. Irma kinda brushed by us, but Maria is making a direct hit and is projected to exit the island right at my house!!!

For some crazy reason the city already shut the water off to "prepare" for the rains that is two days out. So now no water to put in the tubs for sanitation. Telling ya, idiots!

It's supposed to be paradise but we are actually pretty miserable here. Hot all the time. Only AC there is is Wall units, and electricity is so expensive you can't cool the whole house. Everything costs MUCH more. People can't drive and tend to be very inconsiderate (just walk to the front of the line someplace like you weren't even there, speed up so you can't change lanes when you put on your blinker, drive 1/2 the posted speed limit and block both lanes of traffic, etc).

2 years left and we get to go back to the states.

Beaches are great! Diving is good. Great to visit, not to live.

Sounds about right. Spent a lot of time in the Dutch Caribbean for work, pretty much the same. Had a coworker say those negative aspects were only exceeded by a project he worked in San Juan. I've felt those feels, sir, and I feel for you.

Hoping Maria follows Jose in a series of loops out into the middle of the Atlantic where no one has to deal with it.
Hang tight, stay safe.

Hoping Maria follows Jose in a series of loops out into the middle of the Atlantic where no one has to deal with it.
Hang tight, stay safe.
I wish but everyone (news and hurricane center) are all saying brace for impact. It's is projected to exit the island just to the east of my house

Back