Old farts and friction folders.

He (or is it “they” now, since his son started working with him) makes/make a nice knife. :thumbsup:

AtsTG3u.jpg
A sheepfoot will have to go on my list of want to buys.

Since we showing them off ... My rather insignificant accumulation.
MAM large sheepsfoot, MAM "Medium "clip point" (looks more like a spear point to my ancient 6 (with bifocals) eyes. Admittedly I might need new bifocals. I've only had this pair for about 12 or 14 years. Harry Potter 'THE HALFBLOOD PRINCE' was still a couple months from release when I got them.) Opinel N°6 in Olivewood, and a Italian Bergamascos.
"Someday" I'll splurge and get a Svord Peasant.
View attachment 1837383
All have seen pocket time for several consecutive days, at one time or another.

Finally picked up an FK7. Much better size for my hand. Smooth, light, and sharp. Not much more you can ask for, oh yeah, gorgeous purple heart wood.
z7hmc0P.jpeg
Well, you convinced me. I went for an FK5 since I recently a larger BPS. Weighs next to nothing and drops right into a watch pocket. It’s sharp as all get out too. I can see a FK7 or 9 in the near future. 😃
View attachment 1838600

I got this one in from Tod Cutler a few days ago, based on an early 14th century clasp knife. The original is shown in Simon Moore's superb book, Cutlery For The Table: A History of British Table and Pocket Cutlery. Tod's version is a little modern for me :D ;) :thumbsup:

UYLfwsS.jpg

7yWR08C.jpg

There's a Spyderco version of that 14th century folder??!! :eek::eek: This is the Traditional knife sub-forum, so you might be better asking in the General sub-forum, which is here :thumbsup:
Theres a Spyderco friction folder.

Theres a Spyderco friction folder.

That's something new :) :thumbsup:

When I was new here, I received an infraction for "deal spotting". It's a breach of the forum rules I'm afraid (rules are at the top of the page). Probably a good idea to edit it out of your post ;) :thumbsup:
Will do. But again not mine. Just trying to be friendly.

I got this one in from Tod Cutler a few days ago, based on an early 14th century clasp knife. The original is shown in Simon Moore's superb book, Cutlery For The Table: A History of British Table and Pocket Cutlery. Tod's version is a little modern for me :D ;) :thumbsup:

UYLfwsS.jpg

7yWR08C.jpg
Understandable. That piedmontese tab didn't come along for at least another 100-200 years. 😂

Beautiful knife Jack!

Will do. But again not mine. Just trying to be friendly.
Of course :) As was I :thumbsup:
Understandable. That piedmontese tab didn't come along for at least another 100-200 years. 😂

Beautiful knife Jack!
Some folks have no respect for tradition my friend 🤣 :thumbsup:

Is it called a 'Piedmontese tab'? I didn't know that :cool: :thumbsup:

Of course :) As was I :thumbsup:

Some folks have no respect for tradition my friend 🤣 :thumbsup:

Is it called a 'Piedmontese tab'? I didn't know that :cool: :thumbsup:
I've seen it called Piedmontese and Piemontese, which is probably just a stolen term from the original Italian Piedmontese pattern friction knife. Whether it was the first of it's kind, I don't know.

Here is a picture (not mine) of that pattern.

Screenshot_20220608-051936.png

I've seen it called Piedmontese and Piemontese, which is probably just a stolen term from the original Italian Piedmontese pattern friction knife. Whether it was the first of it's kind, I don't know.

Here is a picture (not mine) of that pattern.

View attachment 1838917
Very interesting :) Thanks for the info. I have certainly not seen tabs on the really old English folding knives. That looks like a nice one :thumbsup:

Back