Old Friends Friday

Old Friends... Worth Their Weight in Gold.
DxkhEHs.jpg

I don't know Jer, I'll have to look that up sometime :confused:

Boy Scouts carried sheath knives, so if you hear someone here refer to a 'Scout Knife', that's generally what they're talking about. Here's an old one by Maleham & Yeoman, but they were produced en masse with leather and stag handles.

ZBsjUwH.jpg

OXG7m1c.jpg

I guess it was assumed that boys would all have a pocket knife anyway, but there were some folding Boy Scout knives produced, later just like the US Scout knives, and earlier like the ones you describe, though they are rare I think.

dytCDJW.jpg

UbogoKm.jpg

The first military knives issued to the British forces were issued by the Admiralty, which helps to explain the marlin spike I think. The first British army knives issued had a can-opener, but no marlin spike, but one was added later, and on future knives excepting those issued to troops in the Far East (the Burma Knife). Ibberson's were one of many Sheffield firms who made Girl Guide knives, but they also made identical small yachting knives :D :thumbsup:

H76Kqlo.jpg

By coincidence, one of my Old Friends today is a Camillus BSA Whittler, which I won in one of r8shell r8shell 's giveaways some years back, and for which she kindly made this well-designed pocket sheath :) :thumbsup:

7yYAVq1.jpg

2wQEN1B.jpg

7oaByPO.jpg

My other Old Friend is my 2017 Guardians Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

C2Rkyj1.jpg
Thanks for the rundown on the military and scouting knives, Jack. It makes sense that the Admiralty would be your senior service, and maybe as Islanders you've been more aware of your marine wilderness than some of us more woodsocentric types.

I went in with Dad on a grab-bag of Bruckmanns back in the days of phone-ordering from paper catalogues. So this is pretty old to me.
DSCF5658.JPG

Old Friends... Worth Their Weight in Gold.
DxkhEHs.jpg

Cool pic :cool: I sometimes still buy chocolate like that for my mate's kids at Christmas :) :thumbsup:

Poor old lambsfoot that stood derelict in a drawer :)
View attachment 1398466

Nice to see your Trevor Ablett Lambsfoot Alain :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the rundown on the military and scouting knives, Jack. It makes sense that the Admiralty would be your senior service, and maybe as Islanders you've been more aware of your marine wilderness than some of us more woodsocentric types.

I went in with Dad on a grab-bag of Bruckmanns back in the days of phone-ordering from paper catalogues. So this is pretty old to me.
View attachment 1398467

Historically, a high proportion of men went into the British Navy - most didn't have a choice! :eek: That's a nice-looking penknife mate :) :thumbsup:

By coincidence, one of my Old Friends today is a Camillus BSA Whittler, which I won in one of r8shell r8shell 's giveaways some years back, and for which she kindly made this well-designed pocket sheath :) :thumbsup:
Nice to see that old BSA Whittler, Jack!

For Old Friends Friday (and Shark Week) ;) I pulled out this old BuckSkin to carry.
g2uKn0i.jpg

Made in 1988, I believe, it was a gift from a late ex boyfriend, who was well trained in gift giving. ;)

Last edited:
Nice to see that old BSA Whittler, Jack!

For Old Friends Friday (and Shark Week) ;) I pulled out this old BuckSkin to carry.
g2uKn0i.jpg

Made in 1988, I believe, it was a gift from a late ex boyfriend, who was well trained in gift giving. ;)

Thanks again Rachel, it's treasured, and I should carry it more really :) Shark Week eh?! :D :thumbsup:

Screen-Shot-2018-11-16-at-7.43.22-AM.png

This 1979 Eisenhower was a Christmas gift. Given to me in 1979 by my late father. I was truly blessed to have a wonderful father. He was also my best friend. He passed in 2009 and there’s not a single day goes by that I don’t think about him. For years he would give me a knife for Christmas. They were usually a Case, but sometimes Bokers, because that’s what our local hardware store sold. A couple of years he got me a Kissing Crane Canoe. These he usually got from the train crew that came every day to switch the train yard. They would bring in wood haulers filled with pulp wood for the local paper mill and empty box cars. Then they would take out the box cars filled with newsprint paper (remember those relics) :( and the empty wood haulers. Most all of the train crews I ever meet were big knife guys. Buying, trading or selling was a common sight in the depots. Also some of the most colorful commentary you could imagine! ;) This exposure helped to make me a knife lover at an early age. And I’m sorry to say, but in my younger years I may have also uttered a few expletives. :rolleyes:

50224620823_2ab2e30538_o_d.jpg

This 1979 Eisenhower was a Christmas gift. Given to me in 1979 by my late father. I was truly blessed to have a wonderful father. He was also my best friend. He passed in 2009 and there’s not a single day goes by that I don’t think about him. For years he would give me a knife for Christmas. They were usually a Case, but sometimes Bokers, because that’s what our local hardware store sold. A couple of years he got me a Kissing Crane Canoe. These he usually got from the train crew that came every day to switch the train yard. They would bring in wood haulers filled with pulp wood for the local paper mill and empty box cars. Then they would take out the box cars filled with newsprint paper (remember those relics) :( and the empty wood haulers. Most all of the train crews I ever meet were big knife guys. Buying, trading or selling was a common sight in the depots. Also some of the most colorful commentary you could imagine! ;) This exposure helped to make me a knife lover at an early age. And I’m sorry to say, but in my younger years I may have also uttered a few expletives. :rolleyes:

Fascinating post Ron, and a very special Old Friend :) :thumbsup:

Great post, Ron. My dad passed 15 years and one week ago today. He always had a knife in his pocket, and he gifted me many over my younger years. I too think of my dad everyday. Not a bad thing, but bittersweet.
He would have loved the Lloyd I carry most days, which is fast becoming an old friend.
lHRzL0v.jpg

Half/Stop Half/Stop and Peregrin Peregrin - Gary and Ron; I can relate to your posts about your Fathers. A strange thing that I experienced after my Father's passing was that whenever something would happen that I thought would interest him, I'd pick up the phone to call him for about the first six months after he passed.

Although he didn't give this Puma to me, I carried it often when I was with him.

PyPmTbV.jpg

Great post, Ron. My dad passed 15 years and one week ago today. He always had a knife in his pocket, and he gifted me many over my younger years. I too think of my dad everyday. Not a bad thing, but bittersweet.
He would have loved the Lloyd I carry most days, which is fast becoming an old friend.
lHRzL0v.jpg
Thanks Gary! :) I never knew your father, but I know if he liked knives he would have loved your Lloyd my friend! :thumbsup:

Half/Stop Half/Stop and Peregrin Peregrin - Gary and Ron; I can relate to your posts about your Fathers. A strange thing that I experienced after my Father's passing was that whenever something would happen that I thought would interest him, I'd pick up the phone to call him for about the first six months after he passed.

Although he didn't give this Puma to me, I carried it often when I was with him.

PyPmTbV.jpg
It’s great how something like a pocketknife can make us think about the most important man in our lives! :) :thumbsup:

I've had this Victorinox-made Mauser Officer's Knife since 1982, and carried it for 10 years. It was also the subject of my first published knife review in 1991. We've certainly had a lot of adventures together, but it's been a while since we last went out together. I had the temerity to carelessly check the edge, and got bitten :rolleyes: I can forgive an Old Friend ;) :thumbsup:

eLKMI99.jpg

A0132Fe.jpg

YaAO830.jpg

Back