Old Friends Friday

n20QSzc.jpg

This must be a very old friend, and yet it was very near the surface. I thought it was from a dispreferred country of origin, so either I never turned it over to see it was from Italy, or I bought it when my only experience of Italian knives was those stilettos with soft copper wire for pivot pins, which would be quite a while ago. Anyway, a happy rediscovery.
p9AWMHU.jpg

This must be a very old friend, and yet it was very near the surface. I thought it was from a dispreferred country of origin, so either I never turned it over to see it was from Italy, or I bought it when my only experience of Italian knives was those stilettos with soft copper wire for pivot pins, which would be quite a while ago. Anyway, a happy rediscovery.
p9AWMHU.jpg

I was admiring that the other day Jer, it looks very much like the Sodbusters (Marinera) that Maserin produce :thumbsup:

Over the years I've come to appreciate the Turkish Clips, Schrade made some to the best, like the one on this old friend. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
VB7pK3B.jpg

That's a nice one :) :thumbsup:

I was admiring that the other day Jer, it looks very much like the Sodbusters (Marinera) that Maserin produce
Thanks, I'll check them out. I'm certainly happy with this one.
[Mine even has the gap at the butt end that the negative reviewer on a dealer's website complains of.]

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check them out. I'm certainly happy with this one.
[Mine even has the gap at the butt end that the negative reviewer on a dealer's website complains of.]

I have gifted a view in olive wood, but don't actually have one myself! :rolleyes: I do have this one in smooth white bone though, which was a Christmas gift some years ago. It also has the gap at the butt end! :D :thumbsup:

hz28IF8.jpg

I have gifted a view in olive wood, but don't actually have one myself! :rolleyes: I do have this one in smooth white bone though, which was a Christmas gift some years ago. It also has the gap at the butt end! :D :thumbsup:

hz28IF8.jpg
Nice. I think mine is carbon and rosewood, but again, who knows how old it is. And olive does darken. And the only wood I could identify in the quiz in shop class was the green one. (limba, I think.)

I'll stick it in a potato and see what happens.

Before rinsing:
DHnyxNE.jpg

PuFxiF3.jpg

After rinsing, still pretty stained:
DcnzvoF.jpg

As usual, sorry about the picture quality, but it is still dark.
4xAtf4e.jpg

:cool: :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black , the one you gifted me is frei of rost ;) and has a lovely scent of olives.
A1hHAaX.jpg

Sorry about the typo in my post, but that's a fine view Rachel :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

I'll have to get round to getting one! :D All the ones I've bought have been stainless, but I don't think they've always had that tang stamp :thumbsup:

I have carried my Wenger Patriot daily for the last 12 or 15 years. Small, two blade, thin. I think the handles are aluminum that 95% of the black coloring has worn off. If I ever lose it or break it I'll be devastated. I wish that I had picture capability to show it's beautiful ugliness.

Back