Old Friends Friday

You'll never learn. That is why they are called blades.;)
Here is my Friday post. Not one of there better productions.
wnPRn6T.jpg

LOL! :D I must be getting old mate, I might have forgotten, but I don't even remember cutting myself with it before :rolleyes: Nice IXL Barlow :) :thumbsup:

I've had this Victorinox-made Mauser Officer's Knife since 1982, and carried it for 10 years. It was also the subject of my first published knife review in 1991. We've certainly had a lot of adventures together, but it's been a while since we last went out together. I had the temerity to carelessly check the edge, and got bitten :rolleyes: I can forgive an Old Friend ;) :thumbsup:

eLKMI99.jpg

A0132Fe.jpg

YaAO830.jpg
I have to dig out my BW knife. I don't think it's much like yours.

I have to dig out my BW knife. I don't think it's much like yours.

I was shocked to see how much the Mauser knives go for these days! :eek: They weren't inexpensive back in 1982, not for a young feller anyway, but a nice BW provides much better value today I think. When I got it, I liked the idea of having a second blade, but over the years, the Clip hasn't actually been used much. I used to know a guy who had an Army Surplus store, and he would let me look through all his stock to find the unissued Vics :) I gave them all away though :thumbsup:

I was shocked to see how much the Mauser knives go for these days! :eek: They weren't inexpensive back in 1982, not for a young feller anyway, but a nice BW provides much better value today I think. When I got it, I liked the idea of having a second blade, but over the years, the Clip hasn't actually been used much. I used to know a guy who had an Army Surplus store, and he would let me look through all his stock to find the unissued Vics :) I gave them all away though :thumbsup:
A name to conjure with, I guess.
JiP90zp.jpg

Mine goes back to the phone-order to Tennessee days, so is fairly old.

A name to conjure with, I guess.
JiP90zp.jpg

Mine goes back to the phone-order to Tennessee days, so is fairly old.

That looks like a very useful companion Jer. Over the years, I've used mine an awful lot. The saw and awl have been extremely useful, the cap-lifter is one of the best in the business, it'll open cans, pry, and I've used the corkscrew so much I've sprained it slightly! :rolleyes: The saw-guards are worth picking up if you can find them Jer. Victorinox sent @scruffuk a handful for free :thumbsup:

VUfPT1v.jpg

wrjVvuF.jpg

PH2c8fc.jpg

I think I bought this before I was driving. Certainly before I was good at sharpening. I found it in the back of my roll-top desk years later, and it felt like the edges had been deliberately rounded.
b4nbHMK.jpg

I carried it a lot. That cel sheet isn't out-gassed, it's worn out.

Last edited:
I am carrying some old friends and family heirlooms today. My grandfather‘s name was Jack but his nickname was old-timer and so of course that is what he carried. This was his stockman, it has not been sharpened in at least two decades but still cuts like a razor.My father’s name was also Jack and I gave him many knives made under the happy Jack Brand by Chuck Garlits this one was his favorite, and I like it too.
66206B4F-CFB6-4D35-B6AC-41B3327335BF.jpeg DD0D3C7F-DDE4-46F5-B6EE-4132DC7028B5.jpeg

Jack, good to see your post old friend...my not so old friend. :)
Great stag!
This smooth ebony 72 started out as a spear blade with a nail nick. :rolleyes:
QO9WAHR.jpg

Have a wonderful weekend all! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you my friend :) Nice job on that one. I'm guessing the old Brooksbank was modified after being damaged. A shame I couldn't have got it as a Lambsfoot, but I still enjoy carrying it from time to time :thumbsup:

9znIGm7.jpg

I’m carrying this Old Friend today. This #56 was my introduction to the generosity of the Porch and the beginning of a wonderful friendship that lasted until he passed. Bob @BigBiscuit sent me this knife as a surprise gift after I had approached him offering to trade him out of it. It’s actually a Prototype for the pattern. Bareheaded, as I think this pattern should always be. I also have the tube and certificate. Bob Flitzed the blade Etch from the blade. He didn’t care if it was a prototype, he did not like etches. :) :thumbsup:

20746074158_a4f5dbf6c2_c_d.jpg

Back