Old John Primble Knives & Belknap Hardware History

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great find, Primble. Thanks for the excellent pics and the history lesson.

Got this Genuine Ivory John Primble Belknap Germany in today. I was excited to add it to my collection - firstly, I had no Ivory knives - secondly, I had no Germany made Primbles - thirdly, I really liked the fact it had a stamped main blade. Read about Belknap knives and the era is listed at around 1955 for the knives marked J. Primble, Belknap, Germany. Using Primble logic, that converts to maybe 1954, the year of my birth. Think back to 1954 and 1955 and you will find transportation overseas was much slower than today. I was thinking today that this knife might have been made on my date of birth - well - who knows !! ;):D:D

It really is a beautifully made knife in hand and the workmanship was very well done. The closed length is 3.25 inches and it appears to have the original blade edges, pinned oval shield, and NS pins. The mark side Ivory has diagonal striations that I failed to capture in the photos. It came to me pristine ( minus a couple tiny pepper spots on the blade spines ) and like many Ivory knives, I suspect, it has been in the hands of collectors since it was first sold.

35kv66o.jpg

30hor9h.jpg

Congratulations on an extraordinary, ravishing, unforgettable knife, Primble!!! :eek::thumbup::thumbup:
(Extensive analysis leads me to estimate that the probability that you and the knife have the same birthday is over 96.3%! :D:D)

- GT

Incredible knife Primble, congratulations my friend :thumbup:

Wow, that's truly a thing of beauty Primble, among the nicest I've ever seen. Congrats!:thumbup:

Thank you for all of the kind comments on the Ivory sleeveboard everyone ! :thumbup::thumbup::) I was hoping that somebody besides me liked it. :D

GT - I like the odds ! :thumbup::D

I have not heard of Primbles before. This are beautiful and look like GEC knives in terms of quality.

How about magnets to hold the knives. Two small neodymium
Rare earth magnets would hold each knife straight and secure and make them float a bit above the wood back.

You could drill a partial hole for each magnet and half-sink them and epoxy in place? Probably could work even for brass liner knives.

Gevonovich Gevonovich I would be thrilled too! The old ISW primbles were top quality knives. Case tested from the same era are comparable in quality. Opening and closing my barlow feels as smooth and snappy as my custom slippies. :)

Gevonovich Gevonovich I would be thrilled too! The old ISW primbles were top quality knives. Case tested from the same era are comparable in quality. Opening and closing my barlow feels as smooth and snappy as my custom slippies. :)
I wonder how many ISW's our friend Primble has by now? If anyone has some ...please post away :D

We do need a Tested Era threat too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back