"Old Knives"

Another recent acquisition...

I did a short research online and have not been getting 'solid' answers...would like to turn to your expertise!

It's a Remington barlow with straight line stamp, no circle. It is stated that circle tang stamps were used on higher quality knives and the straight line stamps on the lesser quality knives...

My first impression is that this is a high a quality knife, going head-to-head with the vintage Russell that I have. Rock solid craftmanship. It came with lazy/no-snaps when closing blades but after spending about fifteen minutes flushing and opening/closing, now has re-gained the snaps.

qPiRqXB.jpg

1CgWM88.jpg

Thought it came with a wood cover but upon careful inspection, I can confidently say this is a bone cover...

MBEP936.jpg

VzTQCeV.jpg

Also, (not pictured), the bolster and the line 'looks' to be a single piece?

I got an indication that this 'could' be from the 30's (based on what looks to be a similar stamp on other knives) but I'm definitely not certain. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I carry this cattaraugus knife most of the time. It’s amazing how often I have a use for the screwdriver. The steel they produced holds an edge extremely well. Plus I like having an “old knife” with me. The schrades are part of my collection. Great pattern in my opinion. F84DE43C-E2F4-4976-A53A-FC4009266F5F.jpeg907FF42B-BBCD-4EA1-B78E-8BEE6A929FAD.jpegB1876C48-1E16-4EFE-9C92-F6F4AD8E8787.jpeg

Nice close-up of the middle one, James!! May have been made for Schrade by Empire!!
Nicely fitted Empire shield!!
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that was a possibility. I did notice the pinned shield and the unique shape. This is one of my favorite knives. It has the locking feature where you press down on the master to release the screwdriver. Also the wood coves are really nice.

Here is Empire's Electrician's knife, made with their own branding!!
Operates the same way as yours James - squeeze the main to unlock the screwdriver!!
In later years, Schrade used the same shield shape, and called it the "Empire Shield" in their catalog :) !!
Electrician 1.jpgElectrician 2.jpg

Operates the same way as yours James - squeeze the main to unlock the screwdriver!!
In later years, Schrade used the same shield shape, and called it the "Empire Shield" in their catalog :) !!
View attachment 1809390View attachment 1809391
Love it. Thanks for the info. Cool etch on your knife there!

View attachment 1809390View attachment 1809391
Charlie, one of the coolest old knives(?) I've seen on here looked a lot like that but with the blade removed - just a folding electrician's screwdriver. I think that was yours? Didn't you have someone recreate it, too?

Your knife has an etch that mine does not. Looking at my knife I think it has very little use. I’m thinking they did not etch some of them??
I think his knife is near mint. Your knife has more signs of use and it was well taken care.
I've five or six that need to photograph and post as they're all old wood handles with shields.
Nice knife.

A grandaddy barlow (5 inches in length closed). As far as I can tell the tang stamp is EDWARD / FURNESS / ENGLAND. It has been my understanding that there were no Sheffield barlows of this pattern from this era. No idea if the knife is legitimate or not. It is very tight with good snap. The knife has integral bolsters. I have provided a good number of photos so the experts may have a chance to evaluate it.9A95D1A8-DFF6-4D04-BE2E-1B42B2FB8599_1_201_a.jpeg6DF63D99-277F-4B72-856A-98C4F058575B_1_201_a.jpeg86F55A52-DF07-4763-ABAE-BD4923BB003A_1_201_a.jpegF533C6CA-D062-4C3E-927E-6D1628F4BD70_1_201_a.jpeg8A72B0C5-0F57-4DC8-85E8-8EB0DD7BABAA_4_5005_c.jpegFA8D83AF-07EB-432F-A9A8-955213FE1FF3_1_201_a.jpeg009A9404-5CE7-4777-B3EE-DB77DB732C4C_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachments

• FB2BC9B5-5722-4D88-B1EE-1CC52C28E384_1_201_a.jpeg
    FB2BC9B5-5722-4D88-B1EE-1CC52C28E384_1_201_a.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 3
A grandaddy barlow (5 inches in length closed). As far as I can tell the tang stamp is EDWARD / FURNESS / ENGLAND.
Great find Dwight!! Amazing!! I've never seen a grandaddy of that branding, nor apparent vintage!!
I hope it's real - I don't see anything that says otherwise - at least from here!!
I hope Jack Black Jack Black sees this!! 😲

Great find Dwight!! Amazing!! I've never seen a grandaddy of that branding, nor apparent vintage!!
I hope it's real - I don't see anything that says otherwise - at least from here!!
I hope Jack Black Jack Black sees this!! 😲
Thank you Charlie. I was hoping to hear from you, Jack and Neal for sure. Your words are exciting to hear! :)

ps. That in no way means other opinions are not wanted and deeply appreciated. I welcome and would value many of the regulars on here to express their views.

Back