"Old Knives"

I have amassed a small I*XL Wostenholm Corn Knife collection. :D
A couple from ebay, plus one gifted to me from Markesharp Markesharp

GvH38RJ.jpg

I'm considering carrying one of these pocket scalpels, since they are unusual and wonderfully thin slicers. My question is: which one, and how much "restoration" should I do?
Mark's gift (bottom in photo) is in the best condition, and I'm inclined to preserve it as is, so I'm leaning toward the middle one.

I can just thoroughly clean/disinfect it and drop it in my pocket as is, or I could try to patch the ivory. 🤔 Would it disgust anyone to cut corn off a cob with a podiatric instrument?

I have amassed a small I*XL Wostenholm Corn Knife collection. :D
A couple from ebay, plus one gifted to me from Markesharp Markesharp

GvH38RJ.jpg

I'm considering carrying one of these pocket scalpels, since they are unusual and wonderfully thin slicers. My question is: which one, and how much "restoration" should I do?
Mark's gift (bottom in photo) is in the best condition, and I'm inclined to preserve it as is, so I'm leaning toward the middle one.

I can just thoroughly clean/disinfect it and drop it in my pocket as is, or I could try to patch the ivory. 🤔 Would it disgust anyone to cut corn off a cob with a podiatric instrument?
Hi Rachel. Use the top one and fix the knife I gifted you with the ivory from the other IXL. Heck, I would use the one you like the most.
Non knife geeks will think it was made for corn on the cobb and will want one too.
Don't worry what other people think and just do you. 😇

Here is an interesting one I picked up. Brantford Cutlery Co. Didn't find much info on it. Apparently Brantford was a brand for Butler Bros. between 1910-1930 A faint "Never Dull" etch is visible on the blade.
X8OZpnM.jpg

REJzPvx.jpg

UwMksbl.jpg
That’s a nice one, looks like a english jack pattern and I love those rat-tail bolsters.

61E097E8-3D0F-4380-AA6B-26BA0C6B11A5.jpeg
I picked up this high carbon gunstock this week. Couldn’t find much info on it but fell in love with the package and those rat-tail bolsters. Probably paid to much I’m a green horn when it comes to the vintage and antiques.

By the way, this is an awesome thread guys and gails 👍👍

View attachment 1806472
I picked up this high carbon gunstock this week. Couldn’t find much info on it but fell in love with the package and those rat-tail bolsters. Probably paid to much I’m a green horn when it comes to the vintage and antiques.

By the way, this is an awesome thread guys and gails 👍👍
That's a sweetheart of a Knife, Gunstock made By Camillus for Sears, not too many around of the Gunstock it seems compared to some other SFO's made from Camillus for Sears.
Knives stamped with High Carbon steel are extremely well made knives-probably some of the best from Camillus at that time. Sears also had 2nd tier and 3rd tier Knives available hitting every corner of the market / consumer - these too at times also sported the High Carbon Steel Tang stamps on the Tangs, but had a more economically affordable package wrapped around the Blades :)
Yours is one of the Top Line Models from Camillus as a SFO to Sears.

That's a sweetheart of a Knife, Gunstock made By Camillus for Sears, not too many around of the Gunstock it seems compared to some other SFO's made from Camillus for Sears.
Knives stamped with High Carbon steel are extremely well made knives-probably some of the best from Camillus at that time. Sears also had 2nd tier and 3rd tier Knives available hitting every corner of the market / consumer - these too at times also sported the High Carbon Steel Tang stamps on the Tangs, but had a more economically affordable package wrapped around the Blades :)
Yours is one of the Top Line Models from Camillus as a SFO to Sears.
Thank you and thanks for the info. I’m really enjoying it.
Good info, Duncan. Yes; they are well-made. This one is excellent fit and finish, flawless Rogers bone, milled center liner and all nickel silver, no brass. Some honest wear, obviously. I just listed it in another venue.
View attachment 1806532View attachment 1806533View attachment 1806534View attachment 1806535
That’s a beauty those milled center liners are classy.

Back