1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jprime84

jprime84 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2014
    I am dying to get one of these, but they seem quite pricey. I know that we are discouraged from discussing pricing, but when you consider decades or even a century out of production knives, how can I tell if I am paying too much?

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Look for completed sales on e-bay, is the best advice I've heard, or at least the best advice that has penetrated my scull.

jprime84 likes this.
  3. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck

Oct 11, 2001
    I would love to have one of those NYK Co. lockback coke bottles as well. They do come up on that large auction site but even the worn out ones seem like a lot of $$$.

Glennbad: I love those bolsters. Can't imagine how they were peened.

Posted before but lost to the Photobucket money grab is this Napanoch lockback banana knife: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    GasMan1, LongBlade, Duckdog and 7 others like this.
  4. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I have my first Primble knife! :) The tang stamp says:
    John Primble
    BELKNAP
    HDW. & MFG CO.
    Which I believe dates it to between 1940 to 1968.

I might patch the missing bone on the pile side with some epoxy and maybe some scraps of bone covers. Otherwise, I doubt I'll do much to it besides touch up the edge.
    Primble 1.jpg
    Primble 2.jpg Anyone have any guesses as to who made it? According to my copy of the Blade's Guide 5th (thanks, @supratentorial ) It could have been made by Boker, Camillus, Utica or Schrade.

Oh, also, the number 620 is on the reverse side of the main blade.

Pàdruig, Cambertree and Duckdog like this.
  5. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Beautiful knife Mike:cool::thumbsup:

This last year has been a successful year in regards to acquiring several sought after knives for me. This is my latest. A "PRESS BUTTON KNIFE Co" "WALDEN N.Y." This is the large folder roughly measuring 4 7/8 closed. It sports Beautiful Pic Bone that is chip and crack free.

I had the pleasure of meeting a knife collector named Tom at this years GEC rendezvous. We spoke one night while having supper out at Cross Creek and in our conversation we spoke a bit about this knife. I was interested in a Geo Schrade switchblade and Tom mentioned he had this Press Button Knife. He said when he got back home he'd send me an email with pics and information regarding the knives we discussed. True to his word, he did. Tom is a stand up man and trustworthy all day long. He said, "I'll send it to you, you look at it and if you like it we'll talk more about it"

Thank you Tom:thumbsup: Now things must happen for a reason because after the rendezvous Duncan and I met Neal, here on the forum for lunch and Neal gifted both Duncan and I his informative book on vintage switchblades that he co-wrote with Dan Fuller. I strongly encourage everyone to locate a copy as it's very informative and combines wonderful pictures of switchblades themselves and vintage ads. Well here is my knife which I have concluded is the "INVINCIBLE" model Circa late 1800's - early 1900's:cool: this switchblade locks up solid and fires strong.

Pictures of my knife along with excerpts from Neal and Dan's book.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neal and Dan's book.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this picture from the book showing the "Invincible" and "Business" models.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Pàdruig, GasMan1, LongBlade and 9 others like this.
  6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Fantastic post. Really cool.

7. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck

Oct 11, 2001
    Paul,
    Great knife, story and book to go with! Congrats! Love the bone.

8. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Mike - I think we all went Bananas over that knife when you first showed us.
    Beautiful- just beautiful.
    R8shell as Paul educated me - of your Primbke has a Star stamped on rear of Main? = Boker which would match that era from memory?
    Oh Paul - that Press button!!!
    You did good my friend.
    Yes - both Paul and I were SO lucky and grateful to be presented with Neals Book.
    I now have both Neals and Mikes books signed by those two amazing fellows - Both books are a must for us Knife enthusiasts.
    Edit: darned predictive texting :mad:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    navin74 likes this.
  9. Luger1952

Luger1952 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Paul what a gorgeous Press Button--congratulations!! Having that book to go with it is so nice. Very generous of Neal:thumbsup: I will have to get one. Paul your collecting prowess and vintage knife collecting instincts continue to amaze! Great photos also.

Campbellclanman likes this.
  10. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Yes, get the books!! It's like having your own high-grade collections, the pictures are so well done!!
    Nice Banana, Mike!!:thumbsup:
    Nice Press-Button Paul!!:thumbsup:

11. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck

Oct 11, 2001
    Thanks Charlie, Duncan and Paul for the nice comments on the Napanoch.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Duckdog, Campbellclanman and Peregrin like this.
  12. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Paul
    What a treasure....wow!! Fantastic post! I knew there was something special about Neal :D

13. Duckdog

Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Kudos to Mike, R8shell, and Paul - great knives, wonderful stories.
    -Stuart

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    Mike Robuck likes this.
  14. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Nice old knife, r8shell, and I'm fairly certain it was made by Boker.

BF Boker 2 blade 1941 .jpg

15. herder

Feb 24, 2007

Beautiful example Paul!!! And good story of an honest deal to go along with it.
    It's becoming quite hard to find nice examples like yours, good score.

16. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Nice knives everyone.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 10:05 PM
  17. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks for the kind words from you and others, and I'm just happy to be around a bunch of other collectors and enthusiasts. :)

jprime84 likes this.
  18. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Invincible indeed, Paul!

No star on the blade, but that sure looks like the Boker. Thanks!

19. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Wow! Not sure how I managed to fall half a dozen pages behind with this thread, but if I'd known what was going to be on those half dozen pages, I'd have put my jaw-rest in place! :D Absolutely fantastic folks :) You certainly did some great shopping Duncan :) :thumbsup:

Just a word on forum etiquette, some of us post under our own names, others add their name to their sig lines, others post anonymously, or at least discreetly, and I know some of the latter group prefer to keep it that way, at least in public posts :thumbsup:

Duckdog likes this.
  20. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck

Oct 11, 2001
    My apologies for breaching forum etiquette that I wasn't aware of. (I just re-read the sticky guidelines in case something had changed.) I've edited my post, but I guess anyone that quoted mine will need to do so as well.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 at 11:31 PM