"Old Knives"

Nice knives Stuart and Jeff :thumbsup: ..... Stuart's beautiful Case MOP pen reminded me of a Southington MOP pen that I would like to share though a different pattern... This one is 3" with crown bolsters... Southington just loved to use long pulls on their blades - even the manicure blade has a long pull :)...

daH3k7D.jpg

O2dPXVe.jpg

Cheers
Lee

Wonderful collectible knives Charlie, Jeff, Stuart and Lee!

Here are two Robeson vintage folders. First or top knife is a 3 & 1/4 inch MasterCraft serpentine slant bolster Jack. Pattern no. 623657. Tang marked Robeson/Shuredge (script)/Rochester 1922-1939. It has completely sunken joints. It is one of the smoothest operating folders I own with bronze bushings on the blade tangs. This is a standard feature on the MasterCraft series of Robeson folders. The etch is full and complete on the primary clip. Also, has coined liners. It is in near mint condition with no blade sharpening post production.

The second folder is a very rare gunstock split spring Whittler style folder. Pattern no. 692374. Tang marked Robeson/Shuredge (script)/Rochester NY 1911-1921. It is 3 & 3/8 inch closed. Very nice pick bone type bone handle covers. In very good condition and functions perfectly. Negligible blade loss but looks to have been very lightly sharpened.
IMG_1411.jpg IMG_1412.jpg IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1408.jpg

Wow, Lloyd, you always find/own such rare BEAUTIFUL knives. Both unique but that Gunstock Whittler:eek::eek::eek:

Here are two Robeson vintage folders. First or top knife is a 3 & 1/4 inch MasterCraft serpentine slant bolster Jack. Pattern no. 623657. Tang marked Robeson/Shuredge (script)/Rochester 1922-1939. It has completely sunken joints. It is one of the smoothest operating folders I own with bronze bushings on the blade tangs. This is a standard feature on the MasterCraft series of Robeson folders. The etch is full and complete on the primary clip. Also, has coined liners. It is in near mint condition with no blade sharpening post production.

The second folder is a very rare gunstock split spring Whittler style folder. Pattern no. 692374. Tang marked Robeson/Shuredge (script)/Rochester NY 1911-1921. It is 3 & 3/8 inch closed. Very nice pick bone type bone handle covers. In very good condition and functions perfectly. Negligible blade loss but looks to have been very lightly sharpened.
View attachment 761936 View attachment 761935 View attachment 761934 View attachment 761933
Very nice old and happy knives. Thanks for sharing.
- Stuart

Lee matey- Oh man that wee Southington is a stunner- two beautiful Pearl examples displayed by Stuart and yourself!

Lloyd my friend - what two amazing Knives. From a Cutler firm that at the time of the production of those two knives - was recognised for quite literally making THE best Knives in the world !
Those two beauties are your proof right there!
That Serpentine Jack is just gorgeous- everything- just everything about that Knife I love. The typical Robeson Jig work actually varies to as close as you can get to Schrades Peachseed Bone!!
Wow!
I must admit to never seeing a Gunstock split spring Whittler before - remarkable Knife my friend!

Interesting idea!!
I will try and get a better picture, but some of the design elements on the aluminum are similar on this Simmons Barlow - obviously aimed at a somewhat upscale market.

View attachment 759363

Beautiful example of a Barlow model. So neat to see a fancy version with pearl handles and decorated bolsters.

View attachment 761936 View attachment 761935 View attachment 761934 View attachment 761933

LOVE the gunstock!

KAvtS4R.jpg

h5Yahto.jpg

4hHAoMq.jpg

Recent acquisitions from the local Gun & Knife Show today.

A Cattaragus and a Case. As I was looking (being picky) through the case of knives, I asked the seller to see many of them. I looked at some Case and IXL knives that were perfect except one thing. They were composite. I've got nothing against synthetics. I just want more wood covers in my collection.

Here's what gets me though. There was an old Cattaragus equal end. Spear main and pen secondary. Spear main had no long pull. It was an easy open knife. It was beautiful, nice snap left in the spring, beautiful patina, wonderful shield, tight grain black wood(I'm guessing ebony??), except for one problem. The pile side cover had been replaced to some other lower quality wood and it didn't fit or match well. It was all perfect. A wonderful knife, except for that one fatal flaw. That's why I didn't buy it. I bought the Cattaragus knife you see above.

I don't know much about this knife company so if you could point me in the direction of some history on them I'd appreciate it!!!

KAvtS4R.jpg

h5Yahto.jpg

4hHAoMq.jpg

Recent acquisitions from the local Gun & Knife Show today.

A Cattaragus and a Case. As I was looking (being picky) through the case of knives, I asked the seller to see many of them. I looked at some Case and IXL knives that were perfect except one thing. They were composite. I've got nothing against synthetics. I just want more wood covers in my collection.

Here's what gets me though. There was an old Cattaragus equal end. Spear main and pen secondary. Spear main had no long pull. It was an easy open knife. It was beautiful, nice snap left in the spring, beautiful patina, wonderful shield, tight grain black wood(I'm guessing ebony??), except for one problem. The pile side cover had been replaced to some other lower quality wood and it didn't fit or match well. It was all perfect. A wonderful knife, except for that one fatal flaw. That's why I didn't buy it. I bought the Cattaragus knife you see above.

I don't know much about this knife company so if you could point me in the direction of some history on them I'd appreciate it!!!

Is the length closed 3 5/16"? There should be a pattern number stamp. Is it 32646? That pattern is in the 1922 Cattaraugus catalog. The main blade has been completely resurfaced. The bolsters are buffed so you might examine whether any parts have been replaced. Levine's Guide to Knives and their Values is a good general reference book for knife history.

Yq0NAX7.jpg

Last edited:

Neat knives, Lloyd :thumbsup:

Yes this knife is indeed 3 5/16". I could not see any numbers on the either blade tangs. Mark side tang stamp reads Cattaraugus Little Valley. Or something close to that. And yes as far as I can tell the only modifications that have been made is here someone decided to polish it.

Also whatever they did to it made it really not sharp!!

Thanks

The stamp may have worn off when the blades were resurfaced. A lot of material was removed. Removing stamps is also common when parts are replaced. The dull edge may also be due to resurfacing. It also knocked the crisp edges off the swedges.

For reference, here's an old Cattaraugus knife that was not resurfaced. It has some patina but it's pretty well preserved. Also notice the pattern number on the secondary blade.

WvGIkrP.jpg

The stamp may have worn off when the blades were resurfaced. A lot of material was removed. Removing stamps is also common when parts are replaced. The dull edge may also be due to resurfacing. It also knocked the crisp edges off the swedges.

For reference, here's an old Cattaraugus knife that was not resurfaced. It has some patina but it's pretty well preserved. Also notice the pattern number on the secondary blade.

WvGIkrP.jpg

Beautiful knife there. What an attractive blade shape!

I appreciate your willingness to help. I will have to check out that book you mentioned.
An interesting difference about my knife. The Pen blade is behind the clip. On the pile side.
On the catalog it shows the pen in front and the coping blade in the back.

WvGIkrP.jpg
That is one wicked clip point. Anyone know any modern knives with blades like that? Nice knife man.

Back