"Old Knives"

The only rule of which I am aware about posting names, is not to use them to insult the poster.

If I know somebody's name (and if I can remember it, which seems to be the larger problem these days) I use it.

That being said, the first thing I did when I was asked to be a moderator was to add my first name to my signature line.

Thanks for the clarification Frank. Happy to follow your and Gary's guidance here on the forum.

Duncan, that Challenge scout is a real beauty! I really like the blade etching and engraved bolster. I've wanted a Challenge for some time but haven't had any luck so far.

Paul, same for the Jimmy Allen knife. What a cool shield, pattern and jigging, and an interesting secondary blade to boot.

The main blade on this Henckels closes by pressing down on the secondary blade. It seems like a solid lock, but who knows. It does have the steel pins that you seen on German knives that was mentioned a few pages back.

gS2T15M.jpg
m79LZr0.jpg
ng5jwnP.jpg

Mike - amazing Henckels, I missed one on the big auction that finished a few days ago.
Typical- early Henckels- Folks- have a look at just how thick the Spine of the Blades are on Mikes side shot of that beauty- gives you an idea of the Spring/Spine thickness of these wonderfully built Knives - these Knives are incredible in every way.
Thank you for the sharing of this beauty Mike!

Thank you Jack- no you haven't maligned me at all- certainly not taking it that way!
I think Paul Hilborn definitely is the worst offender by far - Im calling for a infraction"!
Jack- Those Robesons are something special arent they!!! I heavily suspect who that fella is who gifted you that Beauty! Well deserved my friend.

Just to add knife content ..
I showed this lovely Challenge Scout recently - Charlie posted one as well- slight differences- but challenge and beautiful and in a lot better condition that this example- but that doesnt take any of the fascination and liking I have for this wonderful Knife.
Each Challenge Scout like this - ( if you are lucky enough to find one ) has a beautiful full convex shape to the Bone- just a wee tad more than the "ordinary" Scout - and the Bone is incredible! everything about this Knife is superb!
I love the very tidy engraving on the Bolster of a past owners name and address- as they did in those days-engraving was/is an art.
tOlHEa7.jpg

Check out the neat old etching on the Blade....( as well as a better view of the engraving on the Bolster )..
9MWeIEk.jpg
Ha!!! Alright mister CAMPBELLCLANMAN!!!

And here's a PRISTINE Case XX 1940-1964 Spear/Pen red sawcut Barlow. Duncan, is yours this nice:p

wN03oc.jpg

Last edited:
Ok - we obviously have a guy who is either having trouble with his meds- or going through some sort of mid-life crisis lol.
Paul - My Friend, there is no photo - perhaps that Case xx 1940 - 1964 is so pristine its transparent?

Aha! I see you have added a Photo Mr. Hilborn- why yes indeedy I do actually my friend- in Clip-point form......
bsNb92N.jpg

Last edited:
Mike - amazing Henckels, I missed one on the big auction that finished a few days ago.
Typical- early Henckels- Folks- have a look at just how thick the Spine of the Blades are on Mikes side shot of that beauty- gives you an idea of the Spring/Spine thickness of these wonderfully built Knives - these Knives are incredible in every way.
Thank you for the sharing of this beauty Mike!
Thank you for the nice words, Mr. Campbellclanman. :thumbsup: Henckels used bark stag right to the edges on the earlier ones.

Ok - we obviously have a guy who is either having trouble with his meds- or going through some sort of mid-life crisis lol.
Paul - My Friend, there is no photo - perhaps that Case xx 1940 - 1964 is so pristine its transparent?

Aha! I see you have added a Photo Mr. Hilborn- why yes indeedy I do actually my friend- in Clip-point form......
bsNb92N.jpg

Paul hangs head, turns and exits room:)

North Shore, that KeenerEdge sure looks Camillus made, especially the jigging.
Goins implies that McClung Hardware started the brand KeenerEdge ca. 1932, so the timeframe fits, as well as the style. The knife could post-date WWII as well, up until about 1960.

bsNb92N.jpg
You and Paul need to send them to me and let me be the judge of which is the best . Pictures of all 3 are great , but they do not always tell the whole story .

Harry

Going to try to catch up with this thread, it can get away from you pretty quick, lots of nice old knives have been posted the last couple weeks.

I picked up a few in the last month, found a couple English Jacks, first a Hatch Mfg Company. Hatch was around under different names in the late 1800's and finally was bought out by Challenge Cutlery in 1899 or so.
This is a pretty nice example although it has been buffed and has a bone repair, 4 1/2" long, interesting jigging, still has great snap and no play.

IMG_7354.jpg IMG_7355.jpg IMG_7366.jpg IMG_7364.jpg

Other one is a strawberry bone Robeson from the 1950's to early 60's. Pretty much unused but does have some rust spotting and mark side bone is sun faded.

IMG_7383.jpg IMG_7384.jpg

Last edited:
Another pretty scarce knife found is this Kinfolks large hunter. Kinfolks did not make many folders and they are hard to find, this 6292 pattern is the easiest to find. Knife has close to full blades,well used but still tight with great snap. Has really nice bone, most likely Rogers bone by the look.

IMG_7345.jpg IMG_7346.jpg IMG_7347.jpg IMG_7351.jpg

Back