"Old Knives"

Beautiful quadruple threat!:thumbsup:

Sorry about your health, thoughts and prayers for you for a speady recovery!

Btw, I like your avatar / patch!
My last unit after I changed my MOS.
DTorEeT.jpg
Wore that as a combat patch (2003) when I retired in 2004. Before Jake Jones died when he was the brigade commander.

Late war M3. PAL
PAL%2520US%2520M3.JPG

Last edited:
Wore that as a combat patch (2003) when I retired in 2004. Before Jake Jones died when he was the brigade commander.

Late war M3. PAL
PAL%2520US%2520M3.JPG
My combat patch was 3rd Tank under MG Funk, great guy and general!

I only spent 18 months in the MILI (Military Intelligence, Low Intensity), BIG change from infantry!
Got out in '94, then retired in 2014 from the state.
Great looking knife!

This old wreck arrived today. I can't help it, barehead ebony jacks are my kryptonite! :oops: I figured I could make a leather punch out of the main blade, if nothing else. :D
New york knife co. Walden 2.jpg I just came across this 1908 catalog page from NYKCo, and I'm thinking my knife looked like this 100 or so years ago:
NYK Co. 1908.JPG
Here's my question to the experts: mine has different tang stamps on the main and pen blades. Was one of the blades replaced? Which one is older?
New york knife co. Walden 3.jpg

I think the pen blade stamp is more compact, to fit the slightly smaller tang. The blades look the same age to me (from this limited viewpoint!)!

I think the pen blade stamp is more compact, to fit the slightly smaller tang. The blades look the same age to me (from this limited viewpoint!)!
Thanks! I hadn't really thought about them using different stamps, depending on blade size.

Damn Lloyd, sorry to hear your not feeling well and hope you get better soon. Great knives you posted. All the best my friend, Mike

Very nice folders Herder but that pressed stag opposite end with box is just outstanding and a real prize in your collection I am sure!! Thanks to all who post photos and some information to go with it in this thread—a fabulous resource:thumbsup:

Here are a few more I acquired at the OKCA show in April. I have had some serious health problems lately making it hard to be as active on BF as I would like at times. Thanks to the person who sold me these! You know who you are and I appreciate it!
View attachment 920464 View attachment 920463 HSB & Co. 3 & 3/8 inches. Single blade barehead sleeve board. Wonderful clip blade. View attachment 920462 Dwight Divine & Son split back Whittler pattern 3 & 1/4 inches. Beautiful rich colored jigged bone handles.View attachment 920461 NYKC serpentine Jack 3 & 3/4 inches.View attachment 920460Shapleigh Hardware DE serpentine jack. 3 & 1/2 inches. Schrade made with pretty peach seed jigged bone handles.
Deserving a carry over for sure:thumbsup: AMAZING group of wonderful knives Lloyd, all worthy of multiple LIKE button strikes but that NYKC:eek::eek::eek:
Lloyd, that said, your health is the most important issue...I pray your health is on the mend, get well Lloyd:thumbsup:

Praying for a speedy recovery Lloyd. Would've loved to of been able to actually meet and talk with you while you were picking out those rare beauties. It's on my bucket list to make it to that show.

Lloyd, your diamond edge schrade jack is super fine! You really don't see many old schrade jacks of that style.

Here's a C Gustav Spitzer 3-5/16" stockman... Goins has Spitzer as c.1863-1970. I've not been able to find a lot of information on Spitzer other than during the WWII era they primarily made knives / daggers for the German Army. From what I understand before the war they were generally manufacturer's of razors / knives and after the war they were focused mainly on pocket knives. So I'm guessing this knife is c.1960. The "LEO" trademark on the mark side and Solingen over Germany on reverse side. Pretty cool little stockman, fit is perfect and blades are very snappy :D

GUSTAV.JPG
GUSTAV2.JPG

GUSTAV3.JPG

Here's a C Gustav Spitzer 3-5/16" stockman... Goins has Spitzer as c.1863-1970. I've not been able to find a lot of information on Spitzer other than during the WWII era they primarily made knives / daggers for the German Army. From what I understand before the war they were generally manufacturer's of razors / knives and after the war they were focused mainly on pocket knives. So I'm guessing this knife is c.1960. The "LEO" trademark on the mark side and Solingen over Germany on reverse side. Pretty cool little stockman, fit is perfect and blades are very snappy :D

View attachment 921825
View attachment 921857

View attachment 921858
Pretty cool stockman, indeed. :thumbsup: There was a thread here once with examples of 'pictorial' tang stamps like that little lion. Very cool.
Thanks guys I appreciate your kind sentiments and remarks both about my knives and my health!!
May your knives and your health get better and better. :)

This old wreck arrived today. I can't help it, barehead ebony jacks are my kryptonite! :oops: I figured I could make a leather punch out of the main blade, if nothing else. :D
View attachment 920880 I just came across this 1908 catalog page from NYKCo, and I'm thinking my knife looked like this 100 or so years ago:
View attachment 920886
Here's my question to the experts: mine has different tang stamps on the main and pen blades. Was one of the blades replaced? Which one is older?
View attachment 920891

I haven't contributed to this thread in awhile, just lurking and enjoying all the fine oldies! Here's one i picked up last week. Tight and snappy, I'm looking forward to putting it to use.
8OMpRUF.jpg

View attachment 921825
View attachment 921857

View attachment 921858

R8shell- that is a great idea about making a leather punch from the old NYKC. Makes me wish I hadn't parted with an old Remington 173 that also had a broken blade. I think I've got another one somewhere that I'll be practicing on. Thanks for the idea.

Rob - that is a beautiful old Case. Could you tell me what pattern that is?

Kevin - you've come up with another unique beauty!!!

R8shell- that is a great idea about making a leather punch from the old NYKC. Makes me wish I hadn't parted with an old Remington 173 that also had a broken blade. I think I've got another one somewhere that I'll be practicing on. Thanks for the idea.
I do enjoy finding ways to continue to use knives that most would consider "used up" :D

Case in point: I was digging through the offerings at the antique store today, and came across a Case XX Cattle knife. One blade was broken off at the tang, and the other two had been roughly treated by a grinding wheel.
Case cigar before 1.jpg Case cigar before 2.jpg
I mean, it's almost comical, and yet...this poor knife spoke to me. The walk and talk is solid, no wobble to the blades, and I just really like the way it feels in my hand. For $10, I figured I'd see what I could do with it.

There wasn't any danger of making it look worse, so I used my WorkSharp mini belt sander. While the previous owner did a very messy job on the blades, he did manage to thin the blade stock enough that I could put a very sharp convex edge on it. I'm thinking about smoothing out the nail reliefs with a rat tail file.

Case cigar after 3.jpg Case cigar after 2.jpg
It still looks pretty rough, but I'm very happy with it. This one is going to be a hard worker, used for all manner of messy tasks that I'd hesitate to do with a prettier knife. :D

Pretty cool stockman, indeed. :thumbsup: There was a thread here once with examples of 'pictorial' tang stamps like that little lion. Very cool.

May your knives and your health get better and better. :)
Oh and just to complete the circle... here is a pic of the logo with Spitzer label.

Spitzer2.JPG

I did a trademark search today and it looks like Frost Cutlery own the rights to the Carl Gustav Spitzer name now so if you see any while trolling "the bay", beware that it may have come from a SMKW catalog and is not an "Old Knife" :rolleyes:

Back