"Old Knives"

Kai -my mind goes to a factory second? - the x is not in line with the other stamping - so thats suggests struck at a different time, why such a beautiful knife is a second I wouldnt know- the same with GEC's seconds - or "S" marked Knives- hard to spot, but ...all such great Cutlers have high standards so...?
I thought that too, it could be but I can’t find anything wrong with it though...

Beautiful Ulster Nick,not an easy pattern to find in good condition.
Thank you sir! Ebony doglegs are one of my favorite combos.

A Remington equal end lobster pen (1933-1935) and the upper knife is a sleeveboard lobster pen, the maker of which is a mystery to me. The tang stamp is 3C in a circle (see below); also shown, the model# 8013 (?) on pile side of tang.

4gEsKdh.jpg

zd3LPpV.jpg

4HExLla.jpg

5WsYtIw.jpg

1QG5cLG.jpg

- Stuart

The 3C tang stamp is a rare Cattaraugus stamp. I have a batch of Cattaraugus Company stamps and there is a 3C in the batch. Any knives with that mark are hard to find. Great pickup!

The 3C tang stamp is a rare Cattaraugus stamp. I have a batch of Cattaraugus Company stamps and there is a 3C in the batch. Any knives with that mark are hard to find. Great pickup!

Thank you so much. Researching a tang stamp that is only a symbol, rather that words, is daunting. Once again, Blade Forums comes to the rescue! Does your stamp info give a date range?
- Stuart

Thanks for the info Mike :thumbsup: I figured it was a C_____ Cutlery Company but considering it's an old M.O.P., I was focusing on German cutlers in my search last evening. I believe Cattaraugus started out as importers / wholesale so maybe that "3C" stamp was one of their early stamps that were added to imported knives? The tang stamp on the pile side is likely 3013 for "3" blades, "0" bolsters, "1" is their lobster style and "3" is MOP or "Genuine Pearl".

D Duckdog

Thanks, Kevin. Yes, it is the 3013 pattern (later the 3000R, I think). And Mike's fabulous information, I understand from a thread on AAPK, comes from him owning an actual 3C stamp from Cattaraugus. Because he was so generous in sharing that info with me, I don't consider it cheating for him to know the answer. Thanks to both of you.
- Stuart

Thanks, Kevin. Yes, it is the 3013 pattern (later the 3000R, I think). And Mike's fabulous information, I understand from a thread on AAPK, comes from him owning an actual 3C stamp from Cattaraugus. Because he was so generous in sharing that info with me, I don't consider it cheating for him to know the answer. Thanks to both of you.
- Stuart
I saw that too! Among many other stamps he acquired ;) Galvanic is everywhere :D

I recently bought one on the exchange that was made for Hoffritz. The difference is mine has the same scene on both the mark and pile side and is made of brass.
View attachment 969946
That's interesting Alan... I like the brass :) I know Henckels started contracting pocket knife orders in the 1960s and have several different "Limited Editions" like my knife. Seems there was a mystery manufacturer of these knives and Hoffritz got in on the action. They probably couldn't have them made exactly the same as the Henckels run hence the same handles on both sides and the brass. Very cool :cool:

Nice looking CATCO knife. What is the size of the knife and what is the significance of the 3C marking? Thanks. John

John, see above. A little used old stamp, it seems.
- Stuart

Stuart I'm not sure of the color. On my iPad it looks like a rich burgundy. Great pattern in amazing condition for its age.

Back