"Old Knives"

Well Charlie matey- you are going to have to put those treasures from the Oregon Thread here- you know this dont you? mmmmmm? :D

Boker Bone!

iDO086k.jpg

1k5WZSr.jpg

I went away to a knife show in Eugene only to come back and see a fantastic online knife show which took place in the past few days.
Some beautiful knives all!!!
Here is one pick-up from Eugene.
A large pre-war Boker Jumbo whittler in bone.

View attachment 1112480

Now that's a knife. Great bone, too. That pattern has been around for a while, I have catalog pages from other brands from the 1880s with whittlers like that.

I remember this being the first schrade cut that I ever bought. It was also my first old schrade with peachseed bone. It wasn't a bad one then, and still isn't. 71083 3/4 at 2 3/4". It's a tiny thing, and very slim. Notice how the jigging is sized to the knife.

View attachment 1112568

Wow- What an old beauty- and that was your first? you sure started off on the right foot, thats a real nice old Knife! There cant be too many around like that Paul!

I went away to a knife show in Eugene only to come back and see a fantastic online knife show which took place in the past few days.
Some beautiful knives all!!!
Here is one pick-up from Eugene.
A large pre-war Boker Jumbo whittler in bone.

View attachment 1112480

Oh Oh Oh..... now if you only came back with one knife? THAT would be THE one to come home with! Herder- that my friend is an outstanding knife in every way!

Jeff very nice Schrade Cut Ebony EO Jack:thumbsup: Looks cleaned but no overly so and with a soft touch. Tang Stamps still look very crisp. Hard to beat an EO Ebony Jack!

Here are a couple of my Schrade Cut EO jacks. These are non peach seed jigged bone handles. One a bare head and the other capped. The top one is what Charlie has characterized as a basketweave style jigging if I am not mistaken. The bottom one has a divot style jigging that was also used by NYKC. In fact I have several NYKC folders with this same style of jigging if not ever so slightly different—but not much. These are both probably pre peach seed. Both are 3 & 3/8 inches closed.
E4FF0E55-5609-430A-9C62-53EB4AA293A3.jpeg 8EEEC7B9-0772-4899-A58F-83CBBFE83EDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jeff, Lloyd and Paul- outstanding examples that are so very kind to the eyes!

Lloyd, you dont see too much of the Basket weave around do you- so nice to see this, the "divot style" jigging would have been the transistion to the early peach-seed that is very similar ( not the peach-seed that Paul is showing in his two fine examples ) I hope you know what I mean by this.

Paul- your Schrade's my friend .... are extremely nice! Oh to be a fly on the wall in your room during maintenance / Oil / Renaissance Wax day!

Thanks, Lambertiana (yes, an old pattern as you say), Campbellclanman, and Gevonovich.
Some nice examples shown from TheChunk, black mamba, and Luger.
Here is another Eugene show find. An older Henckels whittler with a Wharncliffe handle type in smooth stag.

BF Henckels Stag Whittler .jpg

Thanks, Lloyd, and yes, the cleaning is light. The cover/bolster transitions are still smooth as well as the crisp stampings. My ebony is one step up from the size of your bone beauties at exactly 3⅝"

Back