"Old Knives"

Nice old knives showing up, as usual!! Nice "basketweave" Lloyd!!
Time to dig up those comparison pictures I did a while back!!

Various Schrade Jigging styles in the first picture. The second and third pics are just crops of the top and bottom rows !
Top left is pickbone. Top right is divot style.
Bottom left is basketweave, and bottom right is peachseed.
SchradeBone1.jpg SchradeBone2.jpg SchradeBone3.jpg

Last edited:
Like you said in the Oregon Thread Charlie- that is one very special Knife - for sure! That pic bone is simply superb in every way! I have to admit to have never seen one of those before Charlie!

What a stunning line up to appreciate Schrades brilliance in Bone jig work, I don't think you would get better?

So I have been calling the"pivot jig" work the "earlier Peach-seed" - please forgive me on that one folks! ( Charlie I have always liked that Face carved in Bone - di you tell me one day that it was actually a very very early piece of Canadian Inuit work???)

I played "Swap Shop" with another Forumite recently and received this awesome Keen Kutter in the mail the other day in exchange for a knife to be named later. :rolleyes::D It immediately reminded me of a Henckel's knife that was the exact same concept... so since we are taking pictures of "twins" I thought I would include the Henckel's too :) Based on the punch I would say the Keen Kutter is Camillus so coming from the Kastor family you can definitely see the German influence in this one. Just all around a great knife :):thumbsup:

KKST-1A.JPG KKST-1B.JPG KKST-1D.JPG KKST-1F.JPG

Nice pair of stockmans and tray of pearls Kevin veitsi_poika veitsi_poika ! MOP is becoming one of my favorites. I never used to like it but it definitely grew on me on and I see my pearl collection growing in the future too. waynorth waynorth LOVE LOVE LOVE all your Schrades Charlie!!

Like you said in the Oregon Thread Charlie- that is one very special Knife - for sure! That pic bone is simply superb in every way! I have to admit to have never seen one of those before Charlie!

What a stunning line up to appreciate Schrades brilliance in Bone jig work, I don't think you would get better?

So I have been calling the"pivot jig" work the "earlier Peach-seed" - please forgive me on that one folks! ( Charlie I have always liked that Face carved in Bone - did you tell me one day that it was actually a very very early piece of Canadian Inuit work???)

That example of pickbone is pretty amazing, Duncan. Best one I have, I think. I am hoping someone will post a Schrade Cut Texas Jack with a clip blade to compare.
"Pivot jig" is one of a few names I have seen. I don't know if Schrade had a name for it, or any of their jigs. A Jigging by any other name would . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . !:D

That little bone face is carved into a specific bone from an Elk vertebra. The Inuit expert thinks it is Coast Salish!:rolleyes: The Coast Salish expert thinks it is Inuit!!:eek: Maybe it is from a blended family!!??
One of those sweet mysteries of a collectors life!!:)
BTW, that little spirit face was under my shirt for the whole Oregon Saga!! Trip and Show!!
Face carving 4.jpg

Nice knife, Nick!! That looks like a cross between divot and basketweave!!:rolleyes::D
I've seen it before, but it is hard to pin down! Great specimen!!

This one is new to me. I think it’s called an equal end jack? Or a moose? It has 2 springs. I’m guessing the jigging would be considered the basketweave pattern? Would love to hear from you Schrade gurus!

Ahhh, so YOU got that one. ;):thumbsup:

Here are some schrade cut pearls. I think these kind of "gentleman" knives tend to be underrated, and often go for low prices compared to larger bone handled knives. In their time these were often the most expensive and premium type of knife offered by the manufacturers. By the way does anybody know a Leo Carolan?

IMG_3443.JPG

Ahhh, so YOU got that one. ;):thumbsup:

Here are some schrade cut pearls. I think these kind of "gentleman" knives tend to be underrated, and often go for low prices compared to larger bone handled knives. In their time these were often the most expensive and premium type of knife offered by the manufacturers. By the way does anybody know a Leo Carolan?

View attachment 1113840
FYI... Don't Google the name :eek:

TheChunk91 TheChunk91 Yep, I’m guilty, it was me:rolleyes:

Real nice ones Paul! I agree with what you said about pearl knives. They don’t go for as much as bone and are underrated but that makes it nice to be a pearl knife collector. And many are still mint!

Thanks Nick. You certainly have some nice little pearls, and others as well.

I don't chase after these kinds of knives unless they are schrades and in the right condition. I have an "odd man out" camillus four line stamp sword brand that I took a chance on because the price was very low. It turned out to be a dandy. I like to carry it sometimes when I do not anticipate need for a more sturdy knife.

IMG_3997.JPG IMG_3998.JPG

It's a little fancified.

IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_4004.jpg

Thank you Charlie - I don't blame you for wearing such a fantastic piece- I have always liked that little fellow immensely!

Nice pair of Stockman Kev- two beauties- I too think that that Spiral is Camillus, although there was a comparison done with a non stamped "Spiral Punch" and a stamped Spiral Punch ( Camillus on their knives have this stamping on the Tang of the punch ) and it was thought there was a difference- I don't actually think so - there wasn't enough difference at all other than the spirals being slightly flatter on the face.
Man- when you look at those Stockman - both are actually very very nice knives! I would have lept on each my friend.

Thts a very nice collection of Pearl, I just don't know what it is with Pearl and me, I love looking at them, think they are absolutely fantastic- and own a few, but don't go out sourcing them? Why I simply don't know yet- as we change in Knife collecting will that change for me one day?

Nick - that's an outstanding Knife - Why I don't see these coming up in my ebay searches puzzles me!

Paul, gorgeous examples mate, just look at that TOP END Workmanship that's gone into those knives- actually some of the best no doubt!

I'm fudging "old" a little bit here, but just to keep in the MOP spirit of the last few posts. This Frank Buster 1st generation Fight'n Rooster 3.8" stockman is almost 40 years old, but has some terrific fiery pearl on both covers.

nVWdodi.jpg

BskH9Pz.jpg

Back