Old videos

[Youtube]fc0mdjknbPM[/Youtube]

[Youtube]H-rO5yczA5s[/Youtube]

[Youtube]acQACiv1e24[/Youtube]

Last edited:
Good video. Somethings I picked up for teaching Boy Scouts. Though I chuckled a little we he said cutting tough wood like this. When he is cutting some sort of pine. Living in the North East there are a lot more tougher woods then what he was cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they are just,(at least the first two) old "work training/safety " videos. Like most things I do not agree with everything said or done, but they are fun to watch.

[video=youtube;qb_YNZn_kaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_YNZn_kaQ[/video] i'v watched this quite a few times

This is one of the best films I've seen documenting the logging industry of the PNW. From axes and crosscut saws to feller bunchers it's all here. The film centers around Squamish, B.C.

Kind of long - 48 minutes.

Another good one to add to the pile.

Last edited:

I don't think I've seen this one before, thank you.

At 6:58min those guys run the logs to work them around a tight bend in the river with lost art skill. Not sure what to say other than I only had to see that once to realize I couldn't run on logs like that on dry land.

"The water and the logs are making so much noise that conversation is difficult"

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen this one before, thank you.

At 6:58min those guys run the logs to work them around a tight bend in the river with lost art skill. Not sure what to say other than I only had to see that once to realize I couldn't run on logs like that on dry land.

"The water and the logs are making so much noise that conversation is difficult"

It is a real peek into the way things were done here that is for sure! I love the food consumed per meal lists. Even the cook had a hard job in a logging camp.

It is a real peek into the way things were done here that is for sure! I love the food consumed per meal lists. Even the cook had a hard job in a logging camp.

Seriously.

So, I'm a young guy who wants to work with that crew. I got hired, am excited, and my mother is crying the whole time.

I show up my first day,

The main priority is getting these logs in that river and moving -time has always been money.

Do I watch for quite a while? Do I get paid to heft logs to the river while they run them like otters?

Do we wait until there is down time to get me the basics and establish what my initial duties are the first time I get "wet"? I have to be trained but it's kind of sink or swim.

Do I have a post near the shore on the outside edge of the mass to pass them on to the other guys? Kind of closer to shallow water and practice as much as possible between sets?

This is a crew of guys that have worked together long enough to be able to read each other with talking - this aspect guarantees I will get yelled at a lot - possibly from their frustration with me or in general, for my own safety, to do what they are all doing without talking to each other, or just because I'm green.

Which guys should I talk to or not talk to? Should I talk at all?

I'll earn a nickname and it won't be flattering.

Also, which pranks or false lore should I expect?

I'm one step away from being crushed, drowned, or a nice mix of both.

Soliloquy aside, things were definitely different then. Being the new guy probably hasn't changed much besides the risk at hand lol. Great stuff to have in one place.

This recent thread has some good Old videos as well: Clearwater log drives

Some logging drama, starring Henry Fonda and Paul Newman (and directed by Newman):

[video=youtube;kJz8JEEjGrI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJz8JEEjGrI[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJz8JEEjGrI

[video=youtube;KvDpiUD3lJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvDpiUD3lJs[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvDpiUD3lJs

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read the book by Ken Kesey (author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). As I recall it was a good story but not an easy read, unconventional and non-linear.

Seriously.

So, I'm a young guy who wants to work with that crew. I got hired, am excited, and my mother is crying the whole time.

I show up my first day,

The main priority is getting these logs in that river and moving -time has always been money.

Do I watch for quite a while? Do I get paid to heft logs to the river while they run them like otters?

Do we wait until there is down time to get me the basics and establish what my initial duties are the first time I get "wet"? I have to be trained but it's kind of sink or swim.

Do I have a post near the shore on the outside edge of the mass to pass them on to the other guys? Kind of closer to shallow water and practice as much as possible between sets?

This is a crew of guys that have worked together long enough to be able to read each other with talking - this aspect guarantees I will get yelled at a lot - possibly from their frustration with me or in general, for my own safety, to do what they are all doing without talking to each other, or just because I'm green.

Which guys should I talk to or not talk to? Should I talk at all?

I'll earn a nickname and it won't be flattering.

Also, which pranks or false lore should I expect?

I'm one step away from being crushed, drowned, or a nice mix of both.

Soliloquy aside, things were definitely different then. Being the new guy probably hasn't changed much besides the risk at hand lol. Great stuff to have in one place.

This recent thread has some good Old videos as well: Clearwater log drives

Very intesting post, mirroring my own thoughts :).

Logging & Lumberjacks: Trees and Men: Timber is a Crop circa 1945 Weyerhaeuser

Little more modern tools but still lots of saw.
Our middle school was built into the hill facing the mill in Gardiner on the Umpqua River and there was a massive crane similar to the one at 35:56. It was called “The Heady” – not sure about the spelling or what it was named after.

Regardless, if the shades weren’t pulled it was a never ending source of distraction lol. When it dropped something, which wasn’t often, it would resound through the building. If you were in the gym at the time you could feel it in the bleachers.

Very intesting post, mirroring my own thoughts :).

Yeah, if what we share here is supposed to make us think then this one got me going.

Last edited:
Normally when someone posts a 42 minute video I think to myself, seriously?
Not the case here, in the ax corner of the world.

Another good one to add to the pile.

Actual quote replied to by above:

This is one of the best films I've seen documenting the logging industry of the PNW. From axes and crosscut saws to feller bunchers it's all here. The film centers around Squamish, B.C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFoqbU5XKL4

Kind of long - 48 minutes.
Thread: Pacific NW logging documentary, Post #1, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ntary?highlight=This+is+one+of+the+best+films

Bob

Last edited:
Back