1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Once I got into fixed-blades... I just don't care about folders...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CanadaKnifeGuy, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    IMG_1326.JPG
    And a couple fixies that get used during hunt season...extensively!

Dangerously and Seesteel like this.
  2. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    What knife is this!? Cool little guy!

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  3. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Count me in. :cool:

4. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    A dendritic cobalt knife from Boye Knives.
    If you like that one, you might like this one as well.
    MISSION.MPU-Ti in beta titatium. Here in various guises. I first used it as is and then with paracord, which I didnt much care for. Settled on homemade carbon fibre scales with titanium chain ring bolts.
    I can attest to both being excellent kayaking knives.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Richard S.

Richard S. Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2018
    I’ve always considered a folder as an addition to fixed blade carry. I’ve carried a fixed blade most of my life. My favorite is my Randall model 15.

PNWhovian likes this.
  6. PNWhovian

PNWhovian

Jan 16, 2015
    I’ve always preferred a good fixed blade but I do like my folders as well. I usually carry one of each where I’m able and find I tend to reach for the fixed blade quite a bit more often.

7. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    IMG_1331.JPG
    Couple more for you all. :)

8. dsalazar

dsalazar Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 22, 2017
    20190126_151057.jpg
    My 4 inch selection. Esee 4, bk16, guardian 4, ruike jager.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  9. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I only own about a dozen fixed blades out of over 220 knives that I own.

I have nothing against them and enjoy looking at them but, for the most part, they are just not practical to carry as an EDC in urban settings. Hiking/camping or on the farm/ranch is another matter but I don't engage in those activities often, if ever.

There's also a law in my state that prohibits carrying virtually any fixed blade knife "concealed" which is not a problem when the weather is warm but is basically impossible to comply with if you wear a jacket. So, I seldom if ever carry any of my fixed blade knives which are primarily combat/SD knives.

The one exception is the Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika which I have started to carry every day as a back up to the folder that I am also carrying.

While the Pika also technically violates the law mentioned above, unlike larger fixed blade knives, it is very compact and comfortable to carry and entirely concealable because of it's small size. The Tek-lok type belt clip on the sheath also makes it very easy to remove/attach to/from my belt.

It also makes for a very effective SD backup weapon when I am carrying a gun. More so, IMO, than any folder.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  10. t5brick

t5brick

Oct 4, 2018
    You twisted my arm.

Guardian 4 - FFG CPM-3V, 3D micarta:
    [​IMG]
    Guardian 3 - FFG M390, G10:
    [​IMG]
    Side by side:
    [​IMG]

11. User27

User27

Apr 23, 2017
    I used to EDC a fixed blade like you,OP, but then I had to move away to a less knife friendly state....

:p

CanadaKnifeGuy likes this.
  12. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2015
    I, too, have gone from folders to fixed blades. Particularly, CPK’s offerings.

That said, I still carry a Victorinox Alox Cadet everyday.

13. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    [​IMG]

14. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I find fixed blade EDC to be a bit overcompensatory.

15. SharpieB

SharpieB Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I carry fixed blades every weekend when I am in the woods, but stick a folder in my pocket most of the time.

I prefer fixed blades, but they aren’t practical for going out for dinner, while wearing a suit, winter activities like snowboarding, shovelling the snow, etc.

Maybe a very small horizontal carry one day though....

16. JDRanger

JDRanger

Aug 14, 2017
    I go in phases, for a while I’ll be into building up my fixed blade collection but then later in the year I start buying folders again.

I’ve noticed I pay attention to and buy more fixed blades during the warmer months. I love bushcraft and general outdoor use so naturally fixed blades get the call 90%+ of the time.

Love any good knife regardless if fixed or Folder.

17. Landshark99

Landshark99 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 19, 2007
    By the numbers, I seem to like folders far more than fixed blades unless you count my kitchen knives, 70 folders, another 10 if you count the multi tools, 20 fixed blades not counting my over 60 kitchen knives
    Here are a few of them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    orangejoe35 and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  18. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    When I'm outside doing chores, using the snow plow, etc is EXACTLY where a small horizontal BK14 is perfect!

You can get to it instantly, wearing gloves and it's already deployed .

Phixt and SharpieB like this.
  19. rje58

rje58 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I definitely still enjoy folders, and carry them more just because they are more discrete and convenient most of the time, but I am enjoying fixed blades and carrying them more. I went hiking today, and before I went I put my Ruike Jager F118 on my belt. I started out on property that I own (not that much, a little over an acre) but I wanted an extra hiking pole, so before I took off, I used the Ruike fixed blade to chop down a small, straight hardwood sapling that made a great hiking stick.

I hiked about 4 miles, then when I got back in the car, I had to stop by a few stores (drug store, grocery store) and I just left my Ruike on my belt until I got home. Even in the car it was not uncomfortable or in my way, I could almost forget I was wearing it. I have been on something of a fixed blade binge lately... have purchased several in just the past month or so.

Nice knives in your photos! What is the one, below? I can't quite make out the logo...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  20. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Landshark99 likes this.