One Knife For a year...What would it be ?

Seeing Stanley White's ' One knife for a year ' thread and thinking about my own 6 month challenge coming up ( albeit I'll also use a small necker for when a larger knife would draw undue attention ), I wondered what knife you would all choose for such a trial.

Would it be a knife you already have in your collection or would you have something made and if so what ?

Let's hear your thoughts !

Pics and specs are always welcome !!!;)

I carried this all last year.....
IMG_1402.jpg
probably carry it this year too.
I should add its 3.5 closed and 1095 carbon steel with ebony scales.

If I get other tools - like a saw and stuff - I would choose one of my fix blades:

Here are my choices - all of which I think would work:

1) Fiddleback Arete - Convex
2) ML Kephart
3) BRKT FT Kephart
4) BRKT Rampless Gunny
5) ML Straight back Kephart

If I couldn't use any other tool - I would choose a SAK Farmer.

TF

If I get other tools - like a saw and stuff - I would choose one of my fix blades:

Here are my choices - all of which I think would work:

1) Fiddleback Arete - Convex
2) ML Kephart
3) BRKT FT Kephart
4) BRKT Rampless Gunny
5) ML Straight back Kephart

If I couldn't use any other tool - I would choose a SAK Farmer.

TF

The shape of the Kephart's do make them a good multi-tasker eh....great choice !

This year. 3.5" slipjoint for small task, BRKT Aurora for everything else.

Things I may change.
Just bought a GEC 4" trapper.
I think the Bravo-1 or the upcoming Bravo1.5 would outperform my aurora.

So I guess I'm thinking about going a bit bigger this year.

I have no idea how 'you guys' afford so many knives.

Probably Rat RC-3, the blade is a good carryable size and the sheath is pretty versatile.

Pitdog,
My choice for one year would be this knife design
IMG_0406-1.jpg

But with only a 7" blade. I do 90% of the cooking for the house hold. My main kitchen blade has a 6" blade lenth and I am really wanting just a little longer for the blade lenght.

This design works just fine for the woods time too. but for one year a 10" blade is more than I want to use for my only knife.

Bryan

I have carried one knife for a year or more, many times. The situation I was in dictated which one it was. A small Case whittler, A Buck 110, A Schrade USA 61OT, A Huntsman, and A Buck Wegner. By far the one that saw the most use was the Victorinox Huntsman. So based upon my lifestyle, I'd choose a SAK similar to my Huntsman. Or one of the new multitools.

I have a Case 6375 with cv blades that has been my main knife for 3 years or more. Sometimes you need a bigger blade but mostly the stockman is enough.

Man, all this talk of kepharts makes me think I "need" one.

You don't need one at all. Any decent knife will do you just fine. But should you decide you want one, I strongly recommend an ML.

God bless,
Adam

PS: I've had one for 2 weeks now, its quickly become my favorite knife, even over my ever trusty, ever present Delica. I just keep reaching for the Kephart. It's a great knife. But you don't need it. :D

Ok, I have been thinking about this a lot since Stan first brought it up and have been testing several knives with some of these thoughts in mind. I've done it before but circumstances were different then. You are meaning literally one knife for one year right? I mean as in this is THE one knife I get to use for a solid year, the one that I prepare food with at home or in the field, the one i use for ALL fire starting needs, the one I carry on me in town at restaurants and stores, and the one I'll have the most chance of having handy if the shit hits the fan and have as both a constructive and defensive tool? Am I clear on this? Because, while there was a time when i was on the same page as Stan, if so my approach is going to be much different than Stan's by necessity because these days I spend a lot of time in urbanized environments, a need for discretion is going to play a major part in my decision.

Pretty sure this would cover all the bases for me...

izula04.jpg

I'd choose the SAK if I could only have one.

My Baryonyx machete would do me fine. Wouldn't be very discreet, but this is Maine and we don't care too much. :D

Back