Only one carbon and one stainless for the rest of your life, what are you choosing?

For plain high carbon
My Little Monster (of course) ;)
I think he is White Paper #1
IMG_3374.jpg

For the stainless my Para2 M4
OhP my slip is showing. I guess I have accidentally revealed the extent of my passion for stainless steel. :(:p:rolleyes:
IMG_4683.JPG

3V(a gooood one)
Vanax SuperClean(but only if it is more rust resistant thanLC200N, then the latter)

I'll agree with 52100, but I'm going to have to insist that it has been low-temperature forged, heat-treated through a proper 3+3 cycle with cryogenic quench, and while I'm fantasizing about things I can't afford, please put a Hamaguri bevel on it.

As for stainless?

They keep making higher speed, lower drag stainless steels, so it would have to be one that can hold it's own for the next thirty years or so, which is all the much longer that I can expect to have the sense in my head to understand how to use a knife, anyway.

Tell you what: ask me again in another 27 years or so, and if I'm still able to understand the question, I'll give you my answer.

Either that or they'll run out of alloying elements before then.

Honestly steel choice isn't my first criteria (although somewhere I picked up a dislike for VG-10 that has no reasonable basis, whatsoever). I look at overall design, bevel shape, blade shape, handle material....

I guess things that are related to how the knife feels while I'm using it is far more important to me.

Hey: you asked, and this is the Internet.

1095 - Becker BK7
CTS-204P - Koenig Arius
I have both of these and they are perfect for their intended jobs.

Might need to edit my answer

Carbon in fixed blade: 3V (delta by Carother at that).

M4 for a folder.

Sticking with Vanax for stainless in a folder, but I'd go 20CV in a fixed blade.

Back