Only one carbon and one stainless for the rest of your life, what are you choosing?

You know anyone here who can answer this question is fooling themselves or humoring you right ? :D

I've done it , but quickly learned questions like these should not be asked.
We a love owning lots of knives or we wouldn't be here, asking us not to own multiple knives is asking us not to participate in this forum :D

You know anyone here who can answer this question is fooling themselves or humoring you right ? :D

I've done it , but quickly learned questions like these should not be asked.
We a love owning lots of knives or we wouldn't be here, asking us not to own multiple knives is asking us not to participate in this forum :D

Welcome back Hickory that I know.

Carbon - definitley 52100 as lots of people stated. I have a knife in that steel and performance is seriously impressive.

Stainless - I have no real personal experience with anything except 440... so I guess 440...

Carbon - definitley 52100 as lots of people stated. I have a knife in that steel and performance is seriously impressive.

Stainless - I have no real personal experience with anything except 440... so I guess 440...

really? so you've never owned a mora which uses 12c27? Or opinel which uses the same? Those are some serious low cost baseline standards you really owe it to yourself to test out, great all around stainless and they cost only $15

the newer form of sandvik stainless is 14c28n, which is used in high end mora's like the garberg, excellent imho

for my 'low cost' stainless pick that would be it, ...sure stuff like m390 would hold an edge 2 or 3 times longer but I don't mind touching up an edge

for carbon I'd have to go for the high toughness of cpm-3v

really? so you've never owned a mora which uses 12c27? Or opinel which uses the same? Those are some serious low cost baseline standards you really owe it to yourself to test out, great all around stainless and they cost only $15

the newer form of sandvik stainless is 14c28n, which is used in high end mora's like the garberg, excellent imho

for my 'low cost' stainless pick that would be it, ...sure stuff like m390 would hold an edge 2 or 3 times longer but I don't mind touching up an edge

for carbon I'd have to go for the high toughness of cpm-3v
The thing is that I only buy knives when I need them.

Bought 7inch (18cm) knife in SK-5 for all around work on my yard and for use at constructuon site (my previous job).
And 4inch (10.11cm) fixed blade in 52100 for EDC.

Mora is cheap, but I still have no reason or purpose for one.
Handle and sheath make it almoust impossible to conceal making it poor EDC choice, while Drop Forged Hunter is doing a great job as my EDC.
And it's too small for all other tasks I use my Recon Tanto for.

I assume carbon here means non-stainless. I don't feel comfortable to have to choose a non-stainless but I can give it a shot.

Carbon - CTS-XHP
Stainless - LC200N

1095 for thrashing on outdoors and M390/S35VN for pocket carry.

I assume carbon here means non-stainless. I don't feel comfortable to have to choose a non-stainless but I can give it a shot.
That is how I feel about stainless.

Everyone is different. I got used to carbon steel and have no real experience with stainless...

No one is saying to not own multiple knives. In fact, the very question of the thread requires owning multiple knives.....
Damn, I totally misread this.
I thought he was talking knives and somehow read his choices as particular knives.
Definitely my bad.

If I had to choose it would be 420hc and I guess 1095, but I don't actually know which particular type most of my carbon steel knives are.

Carbon = INFI
Stainless = ELMAX

I totally misread this thread.
I thought he was talking one carbon knife and one stainless knife.
I feel pretty dumb too.

If it makes you feel any better, I've made dumber bloopers. That's how I got to be friends with Marcinek.

I think we should just treat these kinds of theoretical threads as opportunities to show pictures. So, here's a picture of somebody else's Busse Attack Ergo Badger/Busse Ergo Badger Attack/Busse Attack Badger, which is what I was thinking of earlier, when I was waffling on about heat treat.

VHWmvQd.jpg

I don't think the Bacon Boys forge these knives, but cinder blocks have been sacrificed to prove the quality of their heat treat process.

Back