Opinions on Scandi for SHTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whiskey would be a good trade item. People like their adult beverages regardless of the situation.

^^^Always have a supply of dirt cheap booze of any kind; people won't care that it's not Gentleman Jack and the cheap crap costs very little...Now. ;)

I have food storage. More than a bit. I have a few 72 hour kits.....

And a gravity fed water filter big enough to keep the family in clean drinking water for years.....

I also have more than a ton of other food storage.....

Not a big deal.

Really, I need more ammo. And knives..... I dont have any scandi grind knives in my food storage....

Do they make scandi ammo???

On a side note, I've lived through a natural disaster where food and transportation were completely shut down.

Police, fire and rescue not running for a few days. Store shelves were bare within an hour.

Took a while to get back to normal.

Not even a particularly bad natural disaster.

But we had food and water, and heat, and cooking.

Localized disasters can completely shut down areas for weeks or months.

I did pick my house location partially based on elevation. It can't really flood where I'm at.

I don't have any plans to really "bug out" if there is a problem. But I do work 30 minutes from home. It would be a long walk, but I'd get there in about a day or so.

I am pretty aware that an EMP is just about the biggest risk to the supply chain. I've read books by people who have spent careers advising the government about the outcomes. People think that explosions and fall out from nukes are the real risk, but a single higher altitude nuke, not even a big one, would put the entire north American continent in the dark ages for literally months. It would be a disaster that kills millions..... all those without a scandi grind....

Last edited:
I have food storage. More than a bit. I have a few 72 hour kits.....

And a gravity fed water filter big enough to keep the family in clean drinking water for years.....

I also have more than a ton of other food storage.....

Not a big deal.

Really, I need more ammo. And knives..... I dont have any scandi grind knives in my good storage....

Do they make scandi ammo???

On a side note, I've lived through a natural disaster where food and transportation were completely shut down.

Police, fire and rescue not running for a few days. Store shelves were bare within an hour.

Took a while to get back to normal.

Not even a particularly bad natural disaster.

But we had food and water, and heat, and cooking.

Localized disasters can completely shut down areas for weeks or months.

I did pick my house location partially based on elevation. It can't really flood where I'm at.

I don't have any plans to really "bug out" if there is a problem. But I do work 30 minutes from home. It would be a long walk, but I'd get there in about a day or so.

I am pretty aware that an EMP is just about the biggest risk to the supply chain. I've read books by people who have spent careers advising the government about the outcomes. People think that explosions and fall out from nukes are the real risk, but a single higher altitude nuke, not even a big one, would put the entire north American continent in the dark ages for literally months. It would be a disaster that kills millions..... all those without a scandi grind....

Disaster assessment team for the state of Oregon says that if the "big one(s)" hit, meaning subduction zone earthquakes, that the rural areas within the Oregon coast range could be without normal services for up to a YEAR! There are not that many roads through the coast range linking the coastal strip to the Willamette Valley / real world, and all of them are on slopes with loose dirt and trees and all of the roads will be wrecked.

Just remember to grab the whetstone too! :D
Now you tell me:rolleyes:
I've been wading out in the Ohio all night looking for a rock. All I've found is 7 used syringes, and well used diaper, and I think I'm testing positive for Hep C:p

To the OP. It's all in good fun. These kinds of exercises are fair game. If reasonable solutions are rejected for the more fantastic (which is totally cool with me), then unreasonable ones will be floated as a matter of academics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back