Opinions on Windows 10?

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
My Win 7 desktop machine keeps trying to upgrade to Win 10.
Microsoft lost what little trust I had in them when they tried to cram Win 8 down our throats.

I'm happy with Win 7. My work runs Win 7. My phone is not a Windows phone.
►Is there any reason to upgrade to Win 10?
►Is there any reason not to upgrade to Win 10?

Having started out wielding a slide rule and having migrated from CPM to DOS to Windows over the years, I'm in a quandary. What do folks who are familiar with this new system think?

if you are on 7, and use it at work, stay there. If you were on 8, I'd say upgrade, but not from 7. Give it some time to get settled out, there is a big service pack scheduled for the fall, and that should help a lot of stuff. Right now there are enough little things to keep you from having a good time. The upside is that all the reviews are really up on 10, so once it gets going, it should be really good, and will likely run on most windows 7 machines.

You will be able to get 10 free of charge for an entire year. Wait six months for major debugging and hotfixing to take place, then get a much more stable and less buggy OS than what you would get now. Microsoft realized that they messed up with 8 and have remedied almost all of the major complaints customers who bought 8 had.

I am also on Windows 7, and will upgrade in six months. However, 7 has been serving me fine and will serve you fine for a while to come. Don't upgrade if you don't want to.

Last edited:
I go back to CP/M and DOS as well, Frank. What I've learned is that it's best to let new operating systems from Microsoft mellow for awhile before you adopt them. So my plan is to stick with Windows 7, at least for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I've dropped 10 onto an EeePC I've got here and so far it seems to run a bit faster. only problem is that the function keys don't work right now, so that's a small thing to fix, and its an asus problem, not a windows one. Looks really good, and so far I haven't freaked out at it, which took about 10 seconds on the last 8 machine I used.

I'm running Win 10 on a desktop that was running Win 7. I've noticed that 10 starts faster and shuts down faster than 7. The computer seems to run faster now. You can go back to 7 if you don't like it. This option is available for 30 days from date of install.

We switched. My wife had 8.1 on her laptop and noticed essentially no change. All we had to do was switch her browser to default....If you don't watch out it will pick the Windows browser.
I was running 7, and mine was painless as well but I have one glitch...My Fallout 3 game won't load saved games. We (steam techs) are working on it....
Other games seem to work fine, even oldies like Half-Life2.

This is all very encouraging, but I think I'll let you guys keep testing Win 10 for awhile before I jump in . . . :)

I will just wait on the time for a new computer. I am using 7 right now and really like it. The work computer is 8 and I can barely figure out how to get online. Glad to here windows 10 fixed the 8 user problems. Wasn't looking forward to buying a new computer just to have to install windows 7. Really would have most likely gone to an Apple.

Updated a 7 and 8.1 machine. No problems. Like the new start menu, easier to find some stuff. Won't be going back.

When I found out about windows 10 downloading automatically, I disabled automatic updates. Now nothing loads unless I say so.

I have 10 and really like it,however this was an upgrade from 8.1 so obviously this is a dramatic improvement. I agree with others if you have windows 7 I would wait until all the bugs are fixed.

I will just wait on the time for a new computer. I am using 7 right now and really like it. The work computer is 8 and I can barely figure out how to get online. Glad to here windows 10 fixed the 8 user problems. Wasn't looking forward to buying a new computer just to have to install windows 7. Really would have most likely gone to an Apple.

Why do that? Just buy Windows 7 if that's what you want. :confused:

I have a Windows 8 lap top that I have not turned on yet from last year. It was an insurance replacement that took months. I needed a computer MUCH more quickly than waiting for that process to complete. I intend to crank her up in a few months and up grade to Windows 10. It will be my guinea pig for the operating system.

I have a desktop that still uses Vista. I am depending on a Windows 7 machine and my wife has a windows 7 machine. Next computer purchase is a new desktop and unfortunately it will likely be Windows 10. I'm waiting for the dust to settle on Windows 10 before buying anything unless I am forced to.

It is very hard to find new computers with Windows 7 installed.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop. And I use Lubuntu and Oracle Linux on towers. Due to privacy concerns, and control over updates on Windows home editions, I will not be upgrading from 7 to 10. That and the old if it ain't broke don't fix it. Having studied the Pro's and Con's I see no advantage to upgrading. If you do upgrade you may wish to consider these.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/destroy_windows_10_spying.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/if_you_regret_the_upgrade_to_windows_10_downgrade_with_easeus_system_goback_free.html

All kinds of Microsoft settings are "Share" by default with the new Windows 10. Most users aren't sophisticated enough to know where all of these settings are located, or even knowledgeable enough to understand why they should change the default settings.

But with Windows 10 even the most experienced users are finding it impossible to stop the operating system from connecting to the internet and sending information to Microsoft servers.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/informatio...ndows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

It is very hard to find new computers with Windows 7 installed.

Windows 7 continues to be readily available from online retailers:
Windows 7 Home Premium, $100
Windows 7 Professional, $140

And, to my knowledge, even the very newest hardware components include Windows 7 drivers. At least I haven't encountered any hardware or peripherals yet that haven't worked with Windows 7. Graphic cards, sound cards, hard drives, motherboards, printers, scanners, cameras...

Back