Opinions on Windows 10?

Ideally the new system should work out better, as incremental upgrades should help with file backwards compatibility, and also keep you up to date without having to shell out the big bucks every few years for the new software. Of course that's an ideal world, we will see what really happens. I think subscription based software is the direction we are going, whether you pay the fee, or its ad based, someone is going to. The main thing will be figuring out which features are worth paying for, and which are not. The trouble is, I don't think we will get much choice in the matter.

Thinking about getting a new Windows 7 desktop at the moment.

If you generally snap together your own desktop in order to save money, get a warranty on the components, and end up with hardware custom-tailored to your needs, then Windows 7 costs the exact same as Windows 10, about $100. Just get whichever you prefer.

So I just spent a good part of today setting up a new Windows 10 computer for my parents, and drafted a pretty long winded post with my opinions. Instead I decided to keep it short and sweet, I don't like it when compared with Windows 7.

Basically it seems like there were a lot of very major design changes when compared with Windows 7 and earlier (ignoring Windows 8 since I never really used it). Finding things which were commonly used is now a pain. Also many privacy concerns, there were many places where the default was to opt to send Microsoft data, and some wording around it to make it seem that if you opt out your experience will be horrible. That actually probably left the worst taste in my mouth, just about every setup screen seems to imply of dire consequences if you don't opt in and do everything in the Microsoft cloud. In reality though if you opt out and stay on your local machine you are at no more risk than before hitting the power button on the shiny new computer, and in reality possibly less since you own your data.

For those who are willing to build their own towers, or re image Windows devices there are alternatives. And there are a lot of how to build your own instructions on the web. A good source of alternatives to Windows is distrowatch.
http://distrowatch.com/
If you wish to continue with Windows 7 or 8 and continue with updates you may want to read this.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/windows_updates_to_hide_to_avoid_telemetry_or_windows_10_upgrade.html
If you have 10 and don't like the spying there is this.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/destroy_windows_10_spying.html
Have fun!

Last edited:
I am a huge Linux fan, most modern distributions are very easy to live with.

Personally I recommend ZorinOS, but it is easy enough to make a bootable flash drive using an app called LiLi to try any Linux distro without installing.

My Win 7 desktop machine keeps trying to upgrade to Win 10.
Microsoft lost what little trust I had in them when they tried to cram Win 8 down our throats.

I'm happy with Win 7. My work runs Win 7. My phone is not a Windows phone.
►Is there any reason to upgrade to Win 10?
►Is there any reason not to upgrade to Win 10?

Having started out wielding a slide rule and having migrated from CPM to DOS to Windows over the years, I'm in a quandary. What do folks who are familiar with this new system think?

if not a fast learning computer guy then stay away from it
installed it and gone back to win 7 after 35 minutes
'' i don't have anything to hide people'' won't mind the privacy item monitoring and cloud storing
then there are the bugs and horrible windows customer support.

always pirated my windows os's then i decided to buy one because i needed the laptop for work
bought win 7 for 150 euro's ''i think''
came home to install ''registration key is invalid''
after 45 minutes of calling with the customer support they gave me the '' we can't do anything for you at the moment'' answer

Good thread, I have a laptop with Win 8.1 and the Shell app to make it look and run like Win 7 and does a very good job at it. Microsoft has offered the Win 10 upgrade and after reading this thread I am going to wait. No sense fixing something that isn't broken. The older laptop has Win7 and I am going to leave it as is, 7 is a good stable OS.

I have been running windows 10 for a few weeks now and I like the new interface. I had a huge problem with my network driver and had to try several before one worked. I also had to reload several other drivers. I was coming from windows 7 pro. After I sorted out the driver issue it has been smooth sailing. Autocad, microsoft office, and RISA 13 3D work fine. I recommend the upgrade, but set aside some time to work out the initial bugs.

I think Windows Nein, conspicuous by it's absence, tells you all you need to know :D

Oh by the way. I just figured out that Win 10 does not recognize the driver for my CD/DVD. When I look at the drivers listing, it ain't there. It was there under Win 7.

I'm running an ASUS motherboard with an AMD processor. ASUS shows no driver updates for this board for Win 10.

I'm open to ideas, folks.

you might need to roll it back. there might be a driver for the drive itself, but depends on if its an identifiable make. weird that it didn't find a generic one, CD/DVD is very simple generally. Other option is getting a usb drive... not ideal.

Bought my daughter a Mac and I will NEVER run anything with windows again. Every friend I have with Windows 10 is frustrated to the breaking point. Windows = problems!

If I was on Windows 8 or 8.1 I'd download Windows 10 now. I did and am much better off. If I were on Windows 7 I'd keep it until I had to move to Windows 10.

I don't think it'll be long before Microsoft quits supporting Windows 7 (just as they did Windows XP) in order to force people go to Windows 8/8.1 and to Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a money maker for them anymore.

My computer and laptop both run Windows XP and I'm getting tied of keeping them going. I think I'm going the way Bently71 went and getting a Mac.

I don't think it'll be long before Microsoft quits supporting Windows 7 (just as they did Windows XP) in order to force people go to Windows 8/8.1 and to Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a money maker for them anymore.

My computer and laptop both run Windows XP and I'm getting tied of keeping them going. I think I'm going the way Bently71 went and getting a Mac.

You could always get a minimalist Linux distro that will run super-fast on your aging hardware like Puppy. Alternatively you could use RoboLinux which for a small donation gives you a VM application that will run XP, 7, 8.1, or 10.

I think the support timeline for Win7 will be a couple more years, but that's it. As for using old systems..... Do so at your own risk. Once security updates stop, holes get found that don't get fixed, so if you are doing any sort of online banking, stock trading, or really anything that involves personal info, you are at risk. Some of the biggest bot-nets that have been found are old towers running ME and Vista. Hardware isn't a problem anymore, anything that is running 7 now will be able to run 10 once all the drivers are sorted out, give that a couple more months.

As for Macs being somehow immune to attack, its just not so. you can still get trojans, router infections, browser hi-jacks, and lately apple has been taking months to fix major security flaws. You can still get phished or scammed, doesn't matter what machine or system you use, so its important to keep in mind that type of system does not matter, behavior and habits do. Saying Macs don't get malware is like saying Dodge trucks don't get stuck. They don't, if they stay on the highway, just like any other brand.

I upgraded to Windows 10 for a couple of weeks before I downgraded due to it not working properly with my old USB MIDI adapter for a keyboard I own. Coming from Windows 7, it wasn't the worst to get used to. The start menu is a lot simpler to figure out than the start screen on Windows 8/8.1 and most of my equipment was plug and play without any driver changes.

I plan on upgrading back to it in a few months as they patch security issues, and some driver support.

At home I generally use OSX or Linux, but have been using Windows 10 a bit recently. Zero issues thus far.

I still use Windows 7 and Linux at work.

Back