Opinions on Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by knarfeng, Aug 8, 2015.

1. sideways

sideways

Feb 19, 2013
    Intrusive garbage packaging incremental upgrades into a subscription based "service". That way they can bill you more often.

2. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    Microsoft is following Google's business model in which the computer users become the commodity.

3. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    You say it like they are early to the party. Its the way things are going, and have been for some time now. It should mean that over time the consumer ends up with a more useable, stable system. Do I approve of the security stuff? Not at all, and I hope that microsoft takes that feedback and makes changes. But we've been through this all before. From the WinME Ready debacle to XP's launch, Vistsa's problems that forced the re-naming to 7, 8's marketing error. Its what happens. Mac has the same issues as it updates, and all the Linux guys sit there all smug, and superior, and possibly justifiably so, but that's not a solution for most people. Life moves on.

4. Dragon_Man

Dragon_Man Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Just out of curiosity why do you feel that Linux, say Ubuntu, or Fedora, are not a solution for most people?

5. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    For me, it's because Linux doesn't run the software titles I need and use, and the substitutes are (generally) crap. It's particularly bad for PC-connected peripherals such as calculators, cameras, GPSes, printers, scanners, cell phones, guitar amp, telescope, PDA...
    Garmin, Texas Instruments, Fender, Nikon, Canon, HP, Epson, Kyocera, Dell, Samsung, Celestron... The software included with these everyday consumer products is Windows only (or sometimes Windows/Mac).

Furthermore, all decent Linux-compatible software is also available for Windows.

I've been playing with Linux on-and-off since 2000 or earlier as an operating system enthusiast, but there's no way it could function as a daily-driver OS. The last time I was excited about a Linux project was GoboLinux; it had some serious problems such as no sound and small list of compatible software.

6. Dragon_Man

Apr 26, 2003
    As I said it was just out of curiosity. I've been using Linux distros professionally and personally for 16 years. As far as peripherals I use cameras, printer, scanner, cell phone, and tablet. With no issues. I've done software development on Ubuntu with great results. I mostly use open source software, much of it free. As far as crap software I don't know which software you are dissatisfied with. I've not had any issues with what I use. On the plus side many Linux distros are free. Security and privacy are much better. To each his own.

7. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    I say its not the solution for most people, because its not designed for most people. Windows is like a small SUV or a minivan. not great at anything, but workable in most situations. Linux is a Ariel Atom. Really good for one thing, and one thing only, really fast around a small track. Nothing wrong with either, and I'd like to be the kinda guy who drives an Atom. But its not practical for my needs. For most folks the fiddle factor with linux is too high for the end result, even if that end result is amazing. I'd like to be the kind of guy who runs everything on linux, but it is just too much work. There is a reason that we left the command line behind way back in windows3.1, and stopped having to manually write batch files and command.coms. It can work really good, I had a stack of startup dos disks that meant I could run a bunch of games that the computer wasn't beefy enough for if windows was running. But that's not a problem anymore. there were also two sound systems, and three inputs, that was it. I'm sure I could find linux drivers for half the features on my laptop, and klooge the other half somehow. But I just want it to work. If I had a specific need to fill, like a dvd-rip machine, or a network backup system, then yes, linux would be the thing to use, but for an everyday, whatever machine, I want a little more automation.

8. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    Photo editing, topo maps/GPS, games, CAD...

I could not communicate with the Kyocera cell phone (back when I had it) using Linux. The Fender FUSE software does not run on Linux. The last Linux calculator software I tried was a poor copy of the OEM software distributed by Texas Instruments, and that was after the nightmare of getting the cable connection even noticed by Ubuntu; I gave up trying to get the actual calculators linked.

I've also never gotten a Linux distro that correctly identified and enabled the sound card without crippling half of the features. Remote control, jacks, knobs, 5.1 sound...

9. Dragon_Man

Apr 26, 2003
    No doubt there maybe some things that I do not use that may not work right out of the box in Linux. I have achieved a degree of tech burn out. As for the previous comment regrading command line. It is still alive and well in Windows. In Linux it is called terminal. In most modern Linux distros the typical computer user never has to access a terminal session. Surfing the web, email, entertainment, office work, etc. Given modern package management there is no need to.

10. sideways

sideways

Feb 19, 2013
    I guess they are just trying to stay with the times. Generate predictable cash flow and deliver up to date systems. Still... The lack of control is annoying. It's a brave new world.

11. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    I've heard they dropped some language in the EULA that allows them to try to detect pirated software on your computer. Wasn't a reputable source, but worth a mention.

12. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    In the final analysis, I look at Microsoft operating systems and software the way I look at The Borg . . . resistance is futile. I will assimilate. Having said that, I try to get as much mileage out of their old OS's and software as I can before I'm forced to march in lockstep with the rest of humanity and upgrade them. So, for example, I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 Pro on it. Windows 7 is relatively stable and will continue to be supported by Big Brother for roughly another 4.5 years. I also bought a copy of Office 7 Pro that's installable on 3 computers for $99 on the Bay (I'm still running Office 2003 on my desktop). It's compatible with Windows 10 and will continue to be supported for another year and a half. All of my other critical software is also compatible with Windows 10. So I'm basically going to wait until the last possible minute and install Windows 10 just before the opportunity to do so for free expires.

13. wolf-man-12

wolf-man-12

Dec 24, 2007
    Like someone already said ( if it ain't broke don't mess with it ) and I really like Windows 7 on my PC and don't plan on leaving it anytime soon.!** When push comes to shove and I have to go to 8 or 10 then I also will think about Ubuntu and I did try it years ago but hated it and went back to Windows 7 and that is where thy shall stay { for now anyway. }

14. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately, before I had started this thread, I had apparently signed up for the upgrade and the system would not let me install any other updates until I installed Win 10. As bld522 said, "resistance was futile".

So now I've been running Win 10 for 3 days and I do have a few observations to offer.

I did do a "custom install" and did clear almost all the defaults. I also took the opportunity to install Firefox as the default browser. (I highly recommend both of these things.) But there is still leakage.

►One thing that pisses me off is that, unless I want to put up with commercials, the solitaire games are no longer free. OK, going to have to buy some because the commercials suck. I feel my privacy has been invaded when commercials show up when I run software that is on my machine and am not cruising the internet.
    ►It does start and shut down faster than Win 7, but the Win 7 speed was not an issue to me.
    ►Some of my old Win 7 display settings are no longer available.
    ►This OS is still oriented toward mobiles and not for desk tops. I do not want a mobile OS running on my desktop system.
    ►This OS is full of pop-up ads for MS services and software. That pisses me off, too. It's MY computer and MY software. And they invaded it.

Bottom line is that, at this point, I feel invaded and imposed upon. And I am not happy. I have heard nightmare stories about trying to go back to 7 and failures tied thereto. I am weighing the option of returning to 7 very carefully. I got another couple of weeks to decide if I want to risk it.

15. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    Sorry to hear that, Frank. If you do decide to return to Windows 7, I hope it goes smoothly for you.

16. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    I'm downloading the most recent version of Gobo Linux at this very moment... Not that I'm ever going to swap Windows XP for Linux, but just to see how many of kinks have been worked out since the last time I tested it.

17. mwerner

mwerner

Apr 23, 2002
    So far, the only problem I've had in upgrading from 7 to 10 is that my "saved games" in Fallout 3 wouldn't load. After a good college try...Bethesda threw up their collective hands. "game not compatible in all ways." Started a new game and that works OK....
    My wife went from 8.1 on a relatively new laptop to 10 and it was quite painless...

The only oddment I've noticed is that my Zone Alarm firewall is gone. No evidence of it anywhere. Don't know if it was somehow deleted during the installation of 10, or it's not compatible.....The Windows firewall is working... I'm not all that trusting of same and have used Zone Alarm for a long time.

18. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    I've never had much trust in the Windows firewall. In fact in some old Windows versions it was turned off by default, and not configured to provide two-way protection. The Program Control is a critical feature, and I use Zone Alarm 6 with XP.

19. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    There are some problems with games that are going to be getting more press, and more rage. I hope there are changes. I also hope that MS bows to pressure to pull the ads. As I said, this might be the best OS with the worst communication they've done. Hopefully things smooth out.

20. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I am just not happy. I read about the Windows 10 issues and shake my head. I do not want to go to subscription based software and that's primarily why I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to Chrome and I don't want my desktop or laptops looking like a cell phone or tablet period. Thinking about getting a new Windows 7 desktop at the moment.

I have zero interest at this point in having to fiddle with things all the time. I just want it to work with the basic software like Microsoft Office programs. Those are the dominant programs I use on a regular basis.