1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

P2 unresolved warranty problem uggggggh

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Talley1013, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Undertow82

Undertow82

Nov 23, 2010
    I had this exact same issue, down the the exact same knife. The difference is that both pivot screws are as tight as can be so I can't even try to find a "sweet spot" by tightening it down like I have with my other Para 2's. (all three, including the CF S90V have no play at all and can swing shut with gravity alone. This is why I was ticked when the gray model couldn't be tightened down) I never contacted Spyderco about it because I have a second gray para coming (hopefully not with the same blade-play) so I decided to use it and forget about the blade-play. (The gray actually gets darker with finger prints ;))

I can totally understand where you're coming from wanting it to be fixed, especially when you have other non-sprint-run knives of the same model that meet your expectations.

I've had other knife companies tell me that side-to-side blade play is nothing to worry about. When the majority of people say "Mine is perfect and had no play at all," pertaining to this knife as well as your own comparisons based on your own knives, it's easy to understand why you'd be annoyed.

I hope you're happy when it's all through and I look forward to hearing what happens with this thread.

2. Talley1013

Talley1013

Oct 15, 2010
    FlaMtnBkr,
    wow. that is an awesome offer. I just might take you up on that. I really want this knife to be right. cts-20cp is some bad a*@ steel and it makes me warm and fuzzy inside to to have it in my pocket. I bought this knife to be my #1 EDC, not a collector piece so I am willing to do what ever it takes to make it right. I still have hope that it will get resolved by Spyderco. I sent an email to someone farther up the food chain last night so hopefully I will hear something today.

3. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    Hate to say this but I did. Sold my sprint Manix, sold my para 2. Now carrying an umnumzaan. The sprint Manix broke my heart. Spyderco has always been perfect and now I keep having problems.

4. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    I had the same problem with the Orange Manix 2 sprint runs I bought. Out of the box, they both had a whole bunch of blade play when opened (even with the pivot screws tightened all the way), but having heard that Spyderco finds that sort of thing to be within their specifications and probably wouldn't bother fixing it, I decided to save myself the postage. Pissed me off a bit because the plain-jane Manix 2 I bought didn't have any such issue, so it's not like they're incapable of making a knife without bladeplay...

5. trimcut123

trimcut123 Banned BANNED

Feb 15, 2007
    They should replace the knife.

6. Talley1013

Talley1013

Oct 15, 2010
    So I still haven't had a response to the email I sent last week. I understand that the guy I emailed is @ blade show so I will give him a little while longer to respond before i get really steamed and swear off spyderco all together. I'll keep you guys up to date as this thing plays out. unfortunately, my gut feeling is that I am stuck with the knife. It really chaps my [email protected]# that spyderco will use "qc tolerances" as a cop out to not replace a knife that has obvious defects. This particular knife has 5 different things that are not right when compared to my other p2s! I could live with maybe 2 less than perfect areas of the knife but for $200 I feel that the knife shouldnt have all the problems that it does.

7. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    I feel for you dude but I don't think Spyderco is selling those for $200.

8. bode225

bode225

Mar 27, 2008
    I would politely ask where Sal is myself. See if he responds to this thread. PM him!

9. So-Lo

So-Lo

Jun 12, 2006
    Sal and crew probably their hands full with the blade show :)

10. xmtgx

xmtgx

May 11, 2007
    I agreed with that until i got my second one. the lock slips with the slightest of pressure. I sent it in to spyderco so we shall see what happens.

11. mongatu

mongatu

Jan 11, 2008
    I've got 4 P2's, two of them are the gray sprints. All of mine have some lateral blade play that is noticeable if I grab the blade with my left hand while holding the handle with my right hand and putting side to side back and forth pressure on the blade. But there is zero vertical blade play and the lateral blade play is not noticeable when actually using the knife to cut things, so I don't find it bothersome.

Otherwise, one of my 4 has a sticky lock and a too strong detent. The others are all perfect except for the aforementioned lateral blade play that isn't noticeable while actually using the knife to cut things.

With the one that has a too strong detent, I just open it by pinching the blade open past the detent and then dropping it open, which fortunately for me is how I prefer to open the P2's anyway.

Imo, the 20CP steel is simply awesome and the P2 is an awesome design despite these niggling F&F issues that some of them have.

12. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
  13. dsmegst

dsmegst

Jul 21, 2009
    I have 5 Para 2s in different flavors. One has a small bit of side play that can't be adjusted away but the rest can be tightened beyond "smooth opening."

I've carried and used 3 of them, including the "loose" one and I've never noticed any difference when I use them. This is a non-issue for me since it makes no difference in how it cuts. If I was to randomly go from one knife to the other cutting the same material over and over, I wouldn't be able to tell which was the loose one unless I opened and closed the knives in question.

14. Talley1013

Talley1013

Oct 15, 2010
    you guys are probably right that lateral play with a compression lock has no impact on the cutting performance of the knife but it just doesn't seem right in a $200 sprint run knife. A new car with a trashed interior will get me to work everyday but I certainly wouldn't be happy paying full price for it when other cars with perfect interiors are the same price.

This knife is a user so it will get beat up with time and I am OK with that but the extreme lateral play of this knife compared to my three other P2s says to me that something is wrong with this knife. All of my knives get used so I dont have any "perfect" knives and I dont really plan on ever having one so I can deal with a flaw here and there but this sprint run seems to have every flaw that a P2 can have-blade play, really strong detent, sticky lock and a lot of steel missing from the edge(over zealous grinding?). So it really isn't just the blade play.

I got a reply from Spyderco today saying that they were sending me a call tag to send it in again so we'll see what happens.

ET

15. dsmegst

dsmegst

Jul 21, 2009
    Out of the eleven Manix 2s I own, 2 of them came with more than acceptable lateral play for me. I ended up taking a little metal off the pivot bushing to make the pivot a little tighter. Those two knives are now adjusted exactly the way I like them but at the same time there was a small risk of screwing something up. But it was worth the risk to get the knives to be the way I wanted.

On the other hand, the Para 2s seem to be better fitted in my experience, and even the loose one is within what I feel is acceptable so I don't see a need to change it. Without handling yours, I don't know how bad it is but personally, I would look to a custom solution. An extra washer may be all you need to tighten things up. In most cases, we're talking about hundredths, if not thousandths of an inch difference.

Anyway, I hope things work out for you. Good luck.

16. Handwrecker

Handwrecker

May 4, 2010
    It wasn't a $200 knife, but glad to hear Spyderco is helping you out. :thumbup:

17. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    Nope. It was a 220 retail knife. :D if you bought it from the outlet store directly from Spyderco that's what you would pay.

18. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    Just how extreme is it really? This is a pretty strong word description. What are some of the other defects? The Spyderco QC is typically high enough that the majority by far of people are satisfied by their tolerances . Sure, lemons will come through but I'm attempting to quantify this in my mind.

I've seen people that went ballistic and declared trolling wars on Spyderco for some pretty insignificant QC issues in my mind. Unlike others here I feel I could not make an informed rush to judgment about the knife, or you the OP without knowing more than has been presented by OP so far.

Nobody here that I know of or have seen will suggest that you should take it and learn to be happy with a knife you don't like but we shouldn't rush to judgment about spyderco yet either.

Charlene has established her reputation here already and needs no defence. If she states it's within specs than it most likely is.

High tolerances cost more, period. Witness the CR designs. Nothing spectacular materials wise but extremely close tolerances and consistency between products is what made their bones and sustains their reputation.

That's what you get for your extra $300 plus per knife at CR. I don't know the OP personally but I will say that it takes CR type attention to details and greater finish ( "touch labor") done by hand to really make some buyers happy.There's nothing wrong with that until you forget that you get what you pay for and shouldn't expect expect or demand more without expecting to pay.

When I see slight exaggerations or misrepresentations like "the $200 knife" statement I begin wondering if there are more such plays on words or exaggerations. OP may not be like that but we've all seen plenty of posters here that are, just as we see the types that try to use these forums to leverage a new knife out of Sal making claims such as blades snapping in half slicing cardboard.

Oh well. Perhaps I am becoming cynical. It's not meant as an attack on the OP as I don't even know the gentleman.

Joe/raleigh

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  19. ssblood

ssblood Banned BANNED

Jun 20, 2002
    For 150, 200, etc the one thing I personally feel you should not see is blade play. A lot of the problems people have been complaining about lately all lead back to that pivot bushing not having the right tolerances.

I don't think that's what is actually making people mad though. Spyderco telling everyone that's acceptable and shipping their knives back is what's upsetting them. If someone can fix it in a few minutes at home with sand paper or a file what would it hurt for Spyderco to do this for the small percentage that are complaining?

David

20. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Well, the para 1 wasn't known for a lot of lateral blade play. I have been saying that it's the bushing pivot that might be a bit problematic in regards to a tendency for lateral play.