1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pancake Sheaths and how I go about them. (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Feb 17, 2015.

1. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply, Dave.
    And the suggestions for different blade shapes make this worth saving, for sure...

So are you saying that because this is a new knife shape (therefore no experience) I have to just go ahead and stitch it up, and if it doesn't fit, figure out where I need to adjust from there and remake?

Horsewright likes this.
  2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Yeah kinda, but its not so much the experience with the new shape as it is with experience in the building of the sheath and what needs to go where. How bout using my experience? Draw it out with the new knife inside. Take pics and post em here. Lets see what we can come up with. Heck we can do a cardboard mark up with out ever cutting leather before we're pretty sure we're good.

I have tried fitting things up before stitching and it doesn't really work as wet molding is kinda integral part of getting this flat 2d sheath to fit around a 3d object. After stitch up and wet molding if the fit is not right there are a couple of things we can do to either tighten or to loosen. But that is a matter of degree. A little tight or a little loose we can fix. Too much either way and we start over.

I was teaching my wife Nichole, the other day how to make our Leatherman sheaths. Our sheath for the Leatherman Wave is by far the most popular. We had an order for one and so she made four. We try to keep these in stock but sometimes run out so we try to get them done in a day or two. I was tied up on other orders so she was gonna make up these four sheaths. I have a wooden block mockup of a Wave. I place that in the sheath and then draw around it to mark the stitching lines just like I do on a pancake sheath. She asked how far away from the block do I know where to draw the lines. I said imagine half the thickness of the Wave block and a "little" more. That "little" is the experience I guess. One of my horsemanship mentors use to say that: Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.

3. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Thanks Dave. I've already drawn up pics, played around with the 3/8" and "a little" and see a benefit for having a welt all the way around the blade instead of just on the edge. Very easy to check the fit and the cam. However, because it's only a drawn line I'm using on the spine side,
    I see that I'm at the point where I have to actually sew it up to see if all my lines were in the right place.

4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet keep us posted!