Pancake Sheaths and how I go about them. (PIC HEAVY)

Vilepossum hmm interesting ideas on the armor. I know back in the day when armor was worn for real that a lot of "boiled" leather was used for those that couldn't afford steel. I don't know the process though. My sheaths get hard but not that hard I guess. I don't want them to get soft I want them to stay firm. No the oil doesn't soften them up I don't put that much on.. You could over saturate it and get it soft. Also and I guess I should of mentioned this earlier I'm brushing on a very light coat. Particularly on a tooled sheath as the tooling seems to absorb more oil quicker.

I remembered this video:

And found a process for it:

First we buy (or make our own) gelatin (animal glue) which can be sold in sheets, granules, beads or powdered form. Sheets must be soaked in equal amount of water (it is unclear if it is by volume or weight, but there must be a recipe in most cook books) for half a day, and powder for a few hours. At this point we can raise the temperature to 30-40 degrees Celsius (!), this is the gelatinization temperature, when the gelatin will liquefy.
We can raise the temperature ideally to 60-70 degrees Celsius in a bain marie. Higher than that, and quality deteriorates.
We adjust viscosity by adding warm water. 50-35% dry matter content is the ideal range.

I don't know how long the leather should be soaked for best penetration, but that probably can be determined with some trial and error.

Forming the treated leather must be done quickly (or maybe in a hot environment), as the temperature drops, rigidity increases.

Dave, Thank you so much for taking the time to create this thread. I will try to share some pics in this sub forum as my projects get under way.
You're welcome and please do.

This is my first time to see this post and I just wanted to say Thank You for taking the time to make it. It is very informative and educational, and I learned a ton of good stuff. Or in your words, I picked up nearly enough pearls to make a necklace.

Do you have any plans to make additional tutorials?

Loved the story of your dog guessing at the rock to fetch. I have a nephew who had a yellow lab who would do that. He would wear you out bringing a rock for you to throw. We always thought he was cheating too, so one day I put a mark on the rock with a permanent marker. He wasn't cheating because he would bring back the marked rock every time. Perhaps he could smell our scent on it or something but he came back with the correct rock time after time.
Very sorry for the very late reply I think I just saw this too. Yeah I've done some other tutorials on tooling and other sheaths, rifle scabbards etc.

Ya bet my friend.

Hi Dave. I was wondering if using Neatsfoot Oil would mess up my painted bald eagle? I used Eco Flo water based paints. I also put a light coat of Super Sheen across the eagle. I was hoping that a tiny amount of whatever I dyed the leather with would leave little dabs of light-brownish golden coloring around some of the color on the edges of the eagle's white feathers as in the photo I originally uploaded.
But I've never used Neatsfoot Oil before and am not sure if it would ruin painted stuff. I guess I could paint some stuff on a scrap piece of leather and see what the Neatsfoot Oil does to the paint.

Hi Dave. I was wondering if using Neatsfoot Oil would mess up my painted bald eagle? I used Eco Flo water based paints. I also put a light coat of Super Sheen across the eagle. I was hoping that a tiny amount of whatever I dyed the leather with would leave little dabs of light-brownish golden coloring around some of the color on the edges of the eagle's white feathers as in the photo I originally uploaded.
But I've never used Neatsfoot Oil before and am not sure if it would ruin painted stuff. I guess I could paint some stuff on a scrap piece of leather and see what the Neatsfoot Oil does to the paint.
Ya know I simply don’t know, we don’t do much with paint. I’d certainly do a test piece first for sure.

Ya know I simply don’t know, we don’t do much with paint. I’d certainly do a test piece first for sure.

Thanks! I just painted a little bit on a scrap piece of leather. After it dries I'll put a light coat of Super Sheen on it like I did with my eagle and test the Neatsfoot Oil. I guess I can heat the Oil up with hot water because I don't have an oven or anything to heat it up with.

What is the ingredients in Bee natural Pro Carv? Will it be possible to make it at home because I can´t get this stuff in my country.

What is the ingredients in Bee natural Pro Carv? Will it be possible to make it at home because I can´t get this stuff in my country.
I just went and checked the bottle and it doesn't list the ingredients. I have no idea whats in It. I have heard of other folks making up their own casing solutions using mouthwash and dish washing soap. Ya might try doing some google research on that. The scent of Pro Carv does tend to remind me a little of dish soap.

I just went and checked the bottle and it doesn't list the ingredients. I have no idea whats in It. I have heard of other folks making up their own casing solutions using mouthwash and dish washing soap. Ya might try doing some google research on that. The scent of Pro Carv does tend to remind me a little of dish soap. We order off of Amazon.

Dave, I think you are referring to the No More Tears Quick Casing Formula. I found this on the IILG website years ago.. they ceased operations in January of 2021.

No More Tears Quick Casing Formula from IILG

Makes a Pint (the formula scales up)
1/2 Cup Lexol
1-1/2 Cups Distilled Water or Filtered Water
1 Tablespoon Johnson's No More Tears Baby Shampoo
1 Tablespoon Listerine (original brown)

Randy

Dave, I think you are referring to the No More Tears Quick Casing Formula. I found this on the IILG website years ago.. they ceased operations in January of 2021.

No More Tears Quick Casing Formula from IILG

Makes a Pint (the formula scales up)
1/2 Cup Lexol
1-1/2 Cups Distilled Water or Filtered Water
1 Tablespoon Johnson's No More Tears Baby Shampoo
1 Tablespoon Listerine (original brown)

Randy
There ya go!

I was curious about this too, so I checked. Safety data sheets are your friend.

Water, distilled water, deionized water 92.365%
Glycerol 5.85%
Cocamide DIPA 0.701%
Tea Tree Oil 0.31%
Benzenesulfonic acid, C10-16-alkyl derivs. 0.246%
1,1'-iminodipropan-2-ol 0.221%

So, water with glycerol, surfactants, and some tea tree oil for scent/as an antibacterial. Essentially a mild glycerine soap.

Back