1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

People who blatantly and fraudulently sell knives as hand made when they are blanks..

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by GrizzlyBear, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    As a maker of knives using premade blades, I can usually, quickly, pick out knives that were made from blanks because I see the designs daily. I've been finding more and more people who are making and selling these knives but fraudulently passing them off as their own designs and ground with their own hands.

One guy in particular sells a kitchen knife using the Prestige Chef's blade offered by Jantz...he has an asking price of $650 for it. Yes, SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS! He also claims that it is ATS-34 stainless, when the blank is actually 440C. I thought well, maybe he just copied the design....trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Upon closer inspection of the blade it looks identical to one that I ordered from Jantz. There are some that appears to have a corner rounded here and there, but that still doesn't make it his.

After going over his website and then his Facebook page and reading comments he had made about "learning how to make knives from his grandfather" I had had enough and called him out in private messaging then publicly on his page. Instead of responding, he deleted all my comments and then blocked me. If that doesn't scream "caught red handed" I don't know what does.

It really burns my ass that this guy is taking people for a ride for enormous amounts of money and nothing can be done about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
    Damage109 likes this.
  2. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    To go further, this maker has an oyster knife that he claims "took years to develop and perfect this blade". Garden & Gun magazine did a write up about it and his site states that he has won accolades nation wide for the knife.

I've found the same blade on eBay and the internet. I was mistaken stating that it was the same sold on Tracy Mickley's site.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. bobbystoney

bobbystoney

Dec 13, 2010
    He can ask $650 for a knife but I wonder if he's actually sold one?

4. Ocelot85

Ocelot85

Feb 1, 2012
    Link to the makers site? Any other evidence that he is using the blanks? Not trying to take sides, I'm just curious.

5. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    Reading his Facebook page of visitor notes shows that he has sold quite a few knives of varying, grossly inflated cost. I never go by the "testimonials" page on a site, seriously...how easy is that to fabricate.

6. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    The site is www.williamsknife.com

Mods, if this is breaking any rules, please do what you have to do.

The only evidence I have is that I can pick out and name nearly every single knife he shows for sale by the name they are sold under on various sites.

7. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    Example:

The May Skinner is the Hondo Caper blade sold by Texasknife.com

The Chechessee is the Trout Filet sold by Jantzsupply.com

The Cooper is the Keen Edge Chef's blade sold by Jantz.

The Congaree is the Keen Edge Santoku blade sold by Jantz.

The Tugaloo is the Keen Edge Paring blade sold by Jantz.

The Sandy is the Prestige bread knife sold by Jantz.

You get the picture.

8. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Jan 24, 2007
    just asked him on facebook where he buys his blanks from :)

9. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    Good luck with that, he'll probably delete it and block you.

10. threeson

threeson

Sep 10, 2011
    :eek:

11. Ocelot85

Ocelot85

Feb 1, 2012
    http://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/ss606.htm

http://williamsknife.com/store-items/sandy/

Same exact length, look identical as well. Pretty sad.

Disclaimer Statement: All of my posts made in this thread are simply my own opinion, thoughts, criticisms and speculation on the subject matter presented. In no way do I intend to state anything as a matter of fact inwhich could be misconstrued as slander, libel, or defamation in regards to Chris Williams and Williams Knife Co.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  12. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
  13. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    Yup. $600. Ridiculous.

Oh, he may round a corner here and there but for the most part they are not touched.

14. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009
    Rat, I just looked over Jay's site the other day!! These people must be so self absorbed, so dense to think that they won't be discovered as frauds.

15. SENGVIN

SENGVIN Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ohh wow unbelievable :)

16. Ocelot85

Ocelot85

Feb 1, 2012
    I doubt they even give it a second thought, guys like them most likely travel to different gun shows and peddle their garbage to unsuspecting people who don't know any better.

Disclaimer Statement: All of my posts made in this thread are simply my own opinion, thoughts, criticisms and speculation on the subject matter presented. In no way do I intend to state anything as a matter of fact inwhich could be misconstrued as slander, libel, or defamation in regards to Chris Williams and Williams Knife Co.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  17. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    they don't care if we know, as long as there is another sucker to fleece.

18. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I've seen scammers selling alleged custom knives at gun shows. After examining them closely, I could tell that the blades were forged Damascus from a real custom maker. This custom maker would also sell ground blades and handle materials. The scammer
    was making kit knives that were a bit tougher to identify. He was a friend of the custom maker and the maker had no problem with it.

19. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Jan 24, 2007
    deleted but not blocked :p

Richard

20. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    My kapersky blocked the williams knife website...on my smart phone. Which is weird because it blocks about nothing including spamware filled nudie type sites and worse.

So I can't see the knives, but at those prices y'all keep talkin about.....out of my range anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.