• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

People who blatantly and fraudulently sell knives as hand made when they are blanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I just checked and it's still there. You need to scroll down a bit but the photo I posted is still under his version of the knife.

Because enough people have stated in this thread that chris williams (the one from SC not NC ) knives are what they are this thread shows in his google search.

Sure it shows up when I search, but my puter is loaded down with cookies or brownies or whatever they are from looking mostly at knife-related sites, and being on BladeForums pretty much every day. Does it show up for someone who doesn't have that sort of browser history?

Sure it shows up when I search, but my puter is loaded down with cookies or brownies or whatever they are from looking mostly at knife-related sites, and being on BladeForums pretty much every day. Does it show up for someone who doesn't have that sort of browser history?

I just cleared my cookies and history, when I search "Chris Williams knives" this thread is the third result on google.

That's what I was afraid of. I think a person would have to try it from a different computer and ISP to find out.

I submitted a question on one of CFK's ebay listings, asking if the knife was made in the USA... I got a nice long response that conveniently avoided directly answering my question.

HISTORY: CFK was started in 2005 as a private label custom knife shop in Beaverton, Oregon, USA. This knife is 100% hand forged and hand crafted. Instead of using cheap or bad quality parts, to cut costs, we used only the very best materials. The handle materials, blade steels, leather sheaths are made professionally with no expense spared. Spec Ops soldiers, hunters, and survivalists can use this knife any outing and it will stand up to a beating and still perform for a lifetime. We are a new brand, but we are one of the best! Our knives come with the very best customer service!

MANUFACTURING: Our knives are painstakingly handmade from top to bottom. No laser cads, robotics, or computers are used to assist our knife maker in their manufacturing process. As a result each knife is unique and 100% original. Lacking these machines will give each knife its unique character but the knife will lose the perfect refined look of our competitors who use more modern manufacturing procedures. We make each knife by hand using old school techniques. Our knives are built well and will stand up to the elements and are actually handmade.

KNIFE: This knife's blade is 100% handmade of 512 layer Damascus steel that has 8 folds of German 1095HC and Swedish 15N20. The blade is tempered to 58-60HRC on a C-Scale. The knife is very well made and is sharp. The handles are known for their ruggedness and non-slip qualities. 3 Locking pins per scale and a lanyard hole. The knife is built like a tank and will take a beating and also will save your life if needed.

- cfk-cutlery-company

I submitted a question on one of CFK's ebay listings, asking if the knife was made in the USA... I got a nice long response that conveniently avoided directly answering my question.

Well gee, what does that tell us? :rolleyes: ;)

The CFK guy is well aware of this thread. I just got another response through ebay where he quotes my BF username. He also answers a bunch of stuff I didn't even ask, so I guess he is just expecting me to post this here for him so he doesn't have to do it himself...

philllll Gold Member - Blade Forums

CFK = Custom Forged Knives, not "Customer Forged Knives"

We work with 3 custom knife makers and one of them forges our steel for us in a small brick and mortar forge in United Kingdom, this forger has been a friend of our CEO since 2005. We have documents in writing that prove this statement from the UK forge, if needed. We have 2 knife makers here in the USA that put handles on the knives and build them for us. There is a big market now of knife makers using custom made blades and then making their own handles.

Sometimes we modify other knife patterns and sell them on eBay with no reference to the actual knife maker or company. There are many many many knife makers who copy, alter, and make similar knives of other knife makers. We are not the only ones. We also have our own designs and others are copying ours too.

We make our knives in small batches and sell them for wholesale on eBay and other outlets. Our main products is a collaboration with custom kydex artists and then we sell the sets. We are trying to make good knives for everyone to have a chance to own a good bushcraft knife, etc. Our knives are made well for the prices we sell them at and we have many happy customers.

In Oregon there is no sales tax, so registering a business is optional. We decided to register CFK Cutlery Co. with the state of Oregon to be part of the Chamber of Commerce in our local area. It is registered to a home address. We are a registered home based internet business. We are 99% internet based and do not have a "store front".

The fellow in the photos is not "Mr CFK" he is on of our employee and he is showing our members on FB how one can quickly sharpen a knife with the tool he is using, in the field.

If you get one of our knives and put it to the test, you will see that it is hand ground and hand assembled and it is of good quality for the price.

- cfk-cutlery-company

"He" phoned me this afternoon and said they would immediately stop making my design and remove it from Facebook (didn't mention ebay). Seemed like a reasonable guy, but he was careful to point out that he's just the customer service person and not in charge of the company. Personally, I don't believe the blades are forged in the UK and suspect they are imported through the UK from Pakistan. They may forge a few in the UK for cosmetic purposes, but Damascus is too easily and cheaply available from Pakistan to think that's where most of it originates. Who knows where it is ground, probably Pakistan as well. Putting handles on in the US allows them to legally put "US" on their knives as US manufacture. The name that is always shown viewing this page is "Mashadar", whom I suspect is the real Mr. CFK Knives and knows this discussion is not good for business.

"He" phoned me this afternoon and said they would immediately stop making my design and remove it from Facebook (didn't mention ebay). Seemed like a reasonable guy, but he was careful to point out that he's just the customer service person and not in charge of the company. Personally, I don't believe the blades are forged in the UK and suspect they are imported through the UK from Pakistan. They may forge a few in the UK for cosmetic purposes, but Damascus is too easily and cheaply available from Pakistan to think that's where most of it originates. Who knows where it is ground, probably Pakistan as well. Putting handles on in the US allows them to legally put "US" on their knives as US manufacture. The name that is always shown viewing this page is "Mashadar", whom I suspect is the real Mr. CFK Knives and knows this discussion is not good for business.

Could be any of the guest that seem to be constantly view this thread too. The GBU is open to public, don't even need to sign up/in.

I just received yet another message from them after not responding to the last one. More answers to questions that I wasn't the one asking. This will be the last one I quote and I politely asked them not to message me about it any more. I don't feel like being their messenger but I will quote this last one to be fair to them since I was the one that originally asked the question on their auction.

Let the forum know that:

Jason Baker is the owner of CFK and he is a USA born resident from Colorado. He is your "Mr CFK". There is no Pakistan connection and there is no Mashadar connected to CFK Cutlery Co.

You are all free to think what you wish and gossip as you please. But really guys, time to move onto a new topic.

- cfk-cutlery-company

Philll, they're stalking you. I had a guy at a show bring me two "custom" pig hunting knives he'd had made-for $300 apiece or so-that he wanted me to critique as a maker.
Can't remember the name of the guy that "made" them for him, but they were $25 440 spearpoint fighter blanks, less than 1/8" thick. Took me a while to figure out a kind way to tell the guy he'd been had.

Funny that the people doing something wrong want us to "move onto a new topic".

To keep this alive and to add my thanks and very small contribution.
A gunsmith once told me "only another gunsmith can really judge your work". Joe or Josephine, even if well informed can easily be misled or duped. Showing a kit knife with a handle attached to a REAL KNIFEMAKER will result in him saying " this is a pre ground knife with a handle installed". He or she knows. Joe or Josephine the knife buyer does not.

I feel that the real knifemakers out there, exposing those that deliberately misrepresent the truth keep the trade clean by self policing. Sure there will be some professional cornflake bowl kicking, but overall cleaner than any government or guild oversight could do.
I'd like to see a forum where questionable makers (note: I did not say knifemakers) resellers and vendors would be exposed to clients and others in the trade.

My $.02

"Sometimes we modify other knife patterns and sell them on eBay with no reference to the actual knife maker or company. There are many many many knife makers who copy, alter, and make similar knives of other knife makers. We are not the only ones. We also have our own designs and others are copying ours too."

Well... I suppose if other "knife makers" are doing it...

If somebody ELSE is doing it, it MUST be ok. :rolleyes:

You are all free to think what you wish and gossip as you please. But really guys, time to move onto a new topic.

That says it all.

Sincere knifemaking professionals are VERY clear about their processes and materials, as a matter of pride. There is no need for "gossip" or speculation or tough questions that some shady half-vast scam artist refuses to address, when business is conducted openly.

I sent them/him a message on FB ask for a halt to the M-18 copy. Very cordial response, they're done. They'll sell what they have left of a D2 lot and that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back