Phill Hartsfield's knives?

JSP is a big fan of copywriting everything he makes. I told RJ to have Jim send his laywer all of his copywrites and patents.

This generally slows down a knifemaker as few if any have any real copywrites or patents. The process is long and costly. Additionally, if it is challanged it can be costly to defend this challange in court.

Funny thing is when I went through Airborne school, 1984, they were using the term "static cord". Perhaphs JSP is in copywrite violation of the United States Army Airborne School.

As for a cord with some knots in it. Again, I was using that as a distance counter for land navigation long before JSP was using it on the end of a knife.

JSP if your out there, would love to see a copy of the US Copywrite granted to you for the term "static cord". Perhaps you do have it and Im wrong.

Proprietary licensing requires more than a ad or a catalog saying it's yours.

Les

Not only is James out there, he's a moderator of his very on Bladerigger forum right here on BF. I dunno how active he is here as I've never even been in the JSP forum, but he shouldn't be too hard to find.

------------------
Kelly

SenatorsPlace.com
AKTI Member #A000289

Deo Vindice

Originally posted by Les Robertson:
Floyd,

It is interesting that you bring up the point about service after the sale. I had two different customers tell me the same thing. THey had purchased Phil's knives in the aftermarket and Phil would not work on them.

This is the first maker I have ever heard of that will not service a knife that he/she made.

The only reason for this can be, he is punishing people for not buying the knife directly from him.

The two individual's that told me their stories have since gotten rid of every Hartsifeld they own and will never buy another one.

So now you can add to a long list of why you should not buy a Hartsfield the fact he does not stand behind his work. Again, I found that absolutely amazing.

With this in mind, I will now be inclined to never buy or take a Hartsfield in trade. I will also have to inform all those who are interested in his work, his "unique" policy of not standing behind his work.

Phil if youre out there, you need to address this issue. Surely, these 3 people misunderstood what your policy is.

Can you really be the only custom knife maker in the US that does not stand behind their work???

To my knowledge RJ Martin cares not who you purchased your knife from. His name is on the blade, he stands behind it 100%.

Why would a knife maker want a bad example of their work for others to see.

I know several knife makers who try and buy their old knives and then throw them away.

So to wrap up, Hartsfield knives, poor craftsmanship, over priced, poor materials for both handle and sheath, virutally impossible to get your most of your money back on a knife in the after market. Now we find out if you do buy a knife on the aftermarket, Phil will not honor his work and clean up the knife.

So who started this thread about wanting to buy a Hartsfield. I hope you have your answer.

Les

I know this is an old topic but I just recently became a member.
I own two Hartsfield knives and have another on order. The first Hartsfield was purchased from a cutlery store in my area. I was so curious about the chisel grind on the 1/4" thick knife I thought I would try and duplicate, improve on it or whatever but all I managed to do was scratch the hell out of it on a 80 grit stone. I was not sure what I was going to do since I certainly don't have money to throw around. So I went to Phill's shop and asked what he would suggest I do to restore the finish. He simply took the knife from me without saying a word and went to his buffing wheel and began to work on the blade, when he returned with the like new knife, I said, "I did not expect you to do that, I just wanted to know what I could do myself" and he quitely said "I know that, thats why I did it." So, as for Phill not servicing certain blades maybe it's your attitude or how the question was asked. I perceive Phill's gaurantee to be for the "customer and his blade." He gaurantees that his blades "will not fail" for any reason. If it does he will repair or replace it. That also includes a one time replacement on an intentionally damaged or broken blade. Phill has only had one blade break and that was hit by a bullet while on the back of a soldier in a South American jungle.

As for getting your money back! You may not have any luck in selling his blades, but a friend of mine had a Kozuka around his neck for two years which he used for everything, a gentleman asked to see it and then offered to buy it. My friend sold it to him for exactly what he paid for it. That money went towards the Hartsfield sword he picks up this month.

Phill is not a salesman, he is a blademaker. He makes blades to be used, people collect them because they want to. He began making blades a long time ago, blades made for longshoreman, powerline workers and factory workers who needed a blade that would cut with little effort. Those blades did not even have a makers mark. As for the finish; since they are designed to be used and abused the finish is not affected as if it were mirror polished.

His sheaths are simple and effective. The knife can be drawn with very little sound.

As for RJ Martin, its pretty obvious to the reader that you retail his knives for him (as you stated ONLY he sells more of his knives than you do).

To Mr. Martin: I was glad to see that you did not jump on the bandwagon to bash the other makers. I have seen very little of your knives, but they do look good. As for performance I know.

Mr. Robertson: I certainly don't need any more reasons to ever buy a knife, by any maker, for any price from you!

Thats just my opinion.

Sharp Blades.

Sadly, you are one of a growing group of individuals who post here and do not indentify yourself or your background.

As for Phil not servicing his work, contact me off line and I will put you in touch with people who Phil has told this to. If you buy the knife from Phil he will service it. If you buy the knife in the after market he will not service it. Phil's words not mine.

Yes, I sell RJ's knives becuase I belive them to be the best. FWO tested Kozuka's side by side and the Martin was found to be superior at half the price.

Finally, it is obviously your perogative as to who you buy knives from. Just as it is my perogative as to who's knives I sell. By the way there is a Hartsfield Kozuka on my site. If this knife was a RJ Martin Kozuka, it would already be gone.

Les

Originally posted by Les Robertson:
Sharp Blades.

Sadly, you are one of a growing group of individuals who post here and do not indentify yourself or your background.

As for Phil not servicing his work, contact me off line and I will put you in touch with people who Phil has told this to. If you buy the knife from Phil he will service it. If you buy the knife in the after market he will not service it. Phil's words not mine.

Yes, I sell RJ's knives becuase I belive them to be the best. FWO tested Kozuka's side by side and the Martin was found to be superior at half the price.

Finally, it is obviously your perogative as to who you buy knives from. Just as it is my perogative as to who's knives I sell. By the way there is a Hartsfield Kozuka on my site. If this knife was a RJ Martin Kozuka, it would already be gone.

Les

Mr. Robertson:

Thanks for the response. I have never tested one of Mr. Martin's knives but I do not believe one test by one person to be accurate. I have done my own testing with customs I own and the Hartsfield was the best.

Maybe your questions should be asked of Phill (just in case it's here say).

Thank you for your time.
Kevin Nelson, Orange County, Ca

(My profile is updated as far as I can tell with my e-mail address, address and interests?)

Kevin: I am glad you are happy with your Hartsfield knives. I believe that is why all of us makers make knives-we like it when people fall in love with our knives. Honestly, it is almost impossible to evaluate
knives comparatively when they are so close in performance. I have grown tired of the endless debates! What I will say is this: I put a lot of work into every knife, and I have spent a lot of years figuring out how to make every aspect of my work better in terms of adding to the performance of the knife. I am, first and foremost, concerned with performance, and in my mind, that means sharpness, edge holding, ergonomics and ease of deployment.
I believe I have devised one of the best, if not THE best sheath system for carrying the small, chisel ground knife-my carbon fiber/Mahogany sheath with rare earth magnets. Many of my customers have commented that this sheath system, combined with the performance of the knife, makes the overall package superior to that offered by my competition.
And, yes, value also plays a role-I try to deliver a LOT of knife for the money.
I do not play the game of slamming other makers. Instead, I try to let my work speak for itself.

RJ Martin

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for identifiying yourself.

You feel Phil's work is the best, but have not tested his work against Martin. However, you rebuff someone who has??? On the surface that does seem to make sense.

No one will dispute that Phil makes a very sharp knife. However, my job is to compare value for the money. RJ Martin puts a better fit and finsh, uses Same(ray skin), Sterling Silver Menuke, a Mahagony sheath with rare earth magnets. Phil does a 60 grit finish, uses boot/shoe laces and has a aluminum liner with leather over the top.

RJ's Price is $300.00

Phil's price is $450-$500.

Let's say these two knives cut equally the same (just for the sake of argument). Take off the names and remove emotional attachment. Which knife would you buy?

At the October show in Chicago last year. I had a customer who was trying to sell me a Hartsfield Kwaiken (retail $950). I showed him the RJ Martin knife, with Same and Sterling Siver Menuke and Carbon Fiber covered Mahognay sheath (retail $525.00).

The great thing about this show for the comparison test, was that there were several factory knife collectors who knew who either person was.

With my customer there I stopped 8 people showed them the two knives. I told them one knife was $950 and the other was $525.00. Eight out of eight selected the Martin knife as the $950.00 knife.

I asked them why they thought the Martin was the expensive knife. All 8 stated the "look" of the knife. It was apparent to them that Martin had taken more time, used better materials and the finish was much better.

Now, no cutting was done, this was based soley on apperance. It did give my customer a better appreciation as to why I would only give him $450 for the Hartsfield. I generally sell Phil's Kwaikens for about 20 -30% below his retail.

As for Phil not standing behind his product, as I said in the last post, email me offline and I will put you in touch with the person Phil told this to.

Kevin, I am not saying there is not a market for Phil's work, there obviously is. But just as obviously, RJ Martins knives, if only in apperance are superior to Phil's at a good 40% less.

I will tell you that Randy is one of my best friends. But as RJ and other makers will tell you in dealing with me, friendship is freindship, but business is business! Meanin g just because you're my friend doesn't mean I will promote your knife to be something it is not.

Les

Any information regarding a durability comparision between Hartsfield's and Martin's blades?

-Cliff

Dave Ellis, ABS, Mastersmith here. I have owned, bought and sold Hartsfields for years. Phill and Pat Hartsfield I consider "friends". I have never sold a Hartsfield for less than I paid for it and in many cases have realized a nice profit. The mans knives cut and cut and cut. The finish is a bit spartan but as Phill say's these are tools. I make knives that I feel will cut with the best of them and Phills knives definitely cut. As for the after sale service that is of course Phills perogative, I personally have never had any problems with his knives.

------------------

Hi Dave,

I have a question for you. Would you be inclined to purchase a knife in the aftermarket that the maker would not stand behind?

Now that the internet is accessible to millions of potential knife buyers, it has made the purchase and trading of knives easier than it has ever been.

For those who are considering investing in a very expensive custom knife. They should be fore warned that the knife will not be serviced by a maker for no other reason than the knife was not directly purchased from the maker.

Dave, as you stated it is the makers perogative to do as they wish with their business. Conversly, it is the buyers perogative to get all the "important" facts before making an informed decision.

Dave, here is another question for you. Do you know of another maker that has such a policy? Personally, I do not. That is why I was so shocked to hear of this from Phil.

Im sure when he has time to reconsider he will eliminate this policy.

Dave, you hit the nail on the head, a Spartan finish for a tool. If that is what Phil intended, then why do they have a Roman sword price?

I know, pricing is his perogative as is the person's perogative to spend that money.

Dave, you and I are part of the custom knife community. I personally feel that part of the reason people enjoy custom knives so much is the people as much as the knives.

With this in mind it is imperative that we police our own. When a maker or a dealer is not living up to their end of the bargain, they need to be exposed.

While Phil owes nothing to you and I. He owes everything to his customers who over the years have allowed him to make his living with custom knives.

Les

Both R.J. and Phil make fine knives. So do several thousand other makers worldwide. Personal preference does and forever will dictate what knife we buy/sell. As does the personal reason we buy/sell a particular knife. "Caviet Emptor", "Let the buyer beware". If a buyer purchases what they want and prefer, and is happy with his purchase, who is to tell him that he is wrong? No one, because the buyer, not the seller is the FINAL authority.

[This message has been edited by Howard Faltz (edited 03-01-2000).]

First let me say this is not my first post,
I have been on the Forums as Weed. I just feel better using my name.

Yesterday I called and spoke with Mr. Hartsfield about his warranty. This is his
policy, not quoting:

Any knife made is guaranteed for life to the ORIGINAL purchaser, NO EXCEPTIONS. If you buy
the knife thru the secondary market, send it
back thru the ORIGINAL purchaser (ie: dealer)
and the same guarantee applies. If you buy on
the secondary market and choose to send it in
directly to Phill, there WILL be a charge.
All knives returned are given immediate attention, no wait.

Simple,eh.

I've bought and sold several Hartsfields over
a 10 year period and have never suffered a loss. In the last year 2 Forumites have purchased Hartsfields from me, and consequently gone to Phill's shop and ordered knives and swords.

You really can't compare a Hartsfield with a
Martin, they're not the same.

Just my 2 cents, which is probably worth 5 cents in todays market.

Win

Hey I get to agree with Les for a change. I just got rid of my Hartsfield (limited edition Kubikiri)-talk about a slow mover. Anyways, It was a nice blade, but I have been gathering several knives by Wayne Watanabe for several years now, and for the money and style, they far outshine the Hartsfield. I certainly understand the cult following of certain makers (as one of the Emerson "usual suspects"), but I have seen far better work than the Hartsfield. Phil was one of the first people who made the chisel ground "tanto" such a popular item in this country, so he does deserve a level of respect for that and from those who followed in his footsteps.

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

Howard,
Succinct and to the point! You are 100% correct!

Win,

I belive you are a bit presumtive with your post.

Phil's policy is both a burden on the buyer and the seller. Obviously it is ok with you that your customer sends the knife back to you. The question is, do you or your customer then pay for the shipping to Phil? Is that you or do you pass that on to the customer. Making them pay twice to ship and recieve the same knife? As I assume that Phil will have to send the knife back through you (the orginal owner) and then you have to ship it again (to the current owner).

Open question to other makers out there. Is there anyone else that has a policy like this?

Most makers I know will resharpen and do some minor repair work for free or a minimal cost (mostly to cover the shipping). If the knife comes in broken in half or something like that, the customer can expect to incur an additional charge.

Perhaps Phil would be better served if he adopted this policy and just came up with a pricing system up front. The price to reshapen and repair most of the knives sent back to him would probably be less than the double shipping. Not to mention the time saved.

As for no comparison between Martin and Hartsfield you are correct. RJ, continues to come up with new designs, new knives, uses the newest materials and continues to improve his already superior work. As for customer service, Phil comes in a distant second.

Loyalty is a good thing!

See you in New York.

Les

I need to learn how to use these computers, I hit the wrong button and the message is sent, incomplete (touchy). I believe that knifemakers charge what they feel is fair for the time, effort, materials and knowledge that they put into each and every blade. Each maker must decide what their time and effort are worth. Phill has told me that if you are looking to make anymore than a living making knives your better try something else. If your going to make knives, do it because you enjoy it. If any maker states that he can make the "same blade" for less then he is stating that he knows exactly the time and effort put into that blade. I believe that a maker must establish themselves(with time tested quality and durability) before they can expect to get as much for their knives as someone who has been making knives for 20, 30 or 40 years. I go to shows and see beginners and novices charging high end prices for thier blades, which does not seem to be fair to the customer or other makers.

This is an interesting thread to me since I'm a big fan of Hartsfield knives, so I'll throw in my two cents. I've never met Phill (2 "L's" by the way), but have spoken with him on the phone at length a bunch of times. Great guy, up front and honest about his policies, his knives, waiting period, everything. I've used his knives, a lot. They cut as advertised. I, too, have never lost a penny on one and have one on order right now. As far as I'm concerned, he makes a knife that's well worth the price in terms of performance and he backs it up as he claims he will. Now, why would "anyone" claim he doesn't live up to his end of the bargain? We have to police "our own"? Phill is a man of honor, he is "his own" man and probably not in need of "policing" from "anyone" here. Anyway, I've had a couple RJ Martin's, also. They're real nice, but they're not going to outcut a good Hartsfield. By the way, I have met Dave Ellis (see "the good" forum). Outstanding individual and makes a knife that positively speaks for itself. I have two. Not for sale.

Farmer :

I've had a couple RJ Martin's, also. They're real nice, but they're not going to outcut a good Hartsfield.

What does "outcut" mean? Is it that the Hartsfield blade cuts with less resistance, or requires fewer strokes or that the edge lasts longer? Is this on push cuts or slices? Since they both use the same steel (A2) does the Hartsfield have a more acute edge profile or does his steel just perform better even with a similar geometry?

-Cliff

Cliff,

The Hartsfields that I've used the most have been either 1/8" or 1/16" stock right hand chisel ground blades. Even when they get dull and won't shave hair, they seem to cut rope, produce, zipties and fabrics just as well. I had a blade that I abused quite a bit as a utility knife. Cut metal, rope, lots of cardboard, wood. It never showed any signs of the heavy use it had been through. Let's leave it to say that all other knives I used the same way showed deformations along the edge, dulled more quickly and experienced noticeably reduced cutting effectiveness. Can't tell you why this is so, it's just my personal experience. This is not meant as criticism of any maker's knives. It's meant as support for Hartsfield knives. Blades that have 40 years of the maker's experience behind them.

[This message has been edited by farmer (edited 03-06-2000).]

Farmer :

The Hartsfields that I've used the most have been either 1/8" or 1/16" stock right hand chisel ground blades.

How long are the 1/16" blades, are they stiff enough to do deep cuts and point work without excessive flex? Excellent cutting stock.

Let's leave it to say that all other knives I used the same way showed deformations along the edge, dulled more quickly and experienced noticeably reduced cutting effectiveness.

Including one of R. J.'s knives in a similar profile?

-Cliff

Back