Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

My HDFK arrived yesterday, and I did not get a chance until this morning to tear into the package. More time is needed obviously to check it out, but just from a quick glance I would be highly anticipating the arrival of the D3V preorder. Like above, the ESEE 6 has always been a favorite production knife in this size/category. The HDFK I have a feeling may calm any desire to be 'wanting' for the next one. The handle (I got the "thinner" OD) feels great for my 10" L/XL hand, and the knife is just a touch longer than the 6 with only about an 0.7 oz weight increase for such a nice chunk of steel. Great job on this one.

I've been on the fence about the HDFK. I've got a GSO 7/7 that is just about perfect with my hand size. I originally thought the HDFK would be too large, but now I'm second guessing myself. For any of you folks that scored a D2 HDFK, how does the HDFK handle width compare to the Survive handle width?

Last edited:
D2 HDFK arrived today with the OD green 'thin' scales. Fits my L/XL hands pretty well.

tn_20170908_171346.jpg

Let me know if I'm wrong.. looks like kitty came through when the ground was wet and the elk came through after the ground dried up. Maybe kitty had a meal and everyone else is getting the F outta dodge.

Let me know if I'm wrong.. looks like kitty came through when the ground was wet and the elk came through after the ground dried up. Maybe kitty had a meal and everyone else is getting the F outta dodge.

I think that's a pretty good read on it Mike. The ground wasn't wet, but the cat stepped into some deeper powder dust there than the elk did, and so imprinted deeper. The little spatter of rain we had around five this morning dusted out most of the lines of the cat track, but the elk track still shows a few sharp-cut lines. I could only glean enough info to judge the lion track made last night but before the rain around 5 this morning, and I'd guess the elk track right toward the tail-end of the sprinkle.

Compare those with this bear track below. The track of the hind foot smudged some of the front pad and made for some funky-looking toes, but this picture was taken on the same hill as the other tracks, and has visible pad lines and no spatter in the track. Definitely made after the early morning sprinkle. #trackgeek :D

CxK5YNn.jpg

I think that's a pretty good read on it Mike. The ground wasn't wet, but the cat stepped into some deeper powder dust there than the elk did, and so imprinted deeper. The little spatter of rain we had around five this morning dusted out most of the lines of the cat track, but the elk track still shows a few sharp-cut lines. I could only glean enough info to judge the lion track made last night but before the rain around 5 this morning, and I'd guess the elk track right toward the tail-end of the sprinkle.

Compare those with this bear track below. The track of the hind foot smudged some of the front pad and made for some funky-looking toes, but this picture was taken on the same hill as the other tracks, and has visible pad lines and no spatter in the track. Definitely made after the early morning sprinkle. #trackgeek :D

CxK5YNn.jpg

Hmm.. It's hard to see from a photo I guess. It looks like the ground is hard with a loose top layer, but relatively uniform. I'm surprised the cat could make such a deep print and an elk so shallow without the ground first being wet, then dry. Based on the depth of each print, I was guessing the cat came through first, then the Elk after the ground dried up a bit. Both tracks look like they have been dusted over a bit by the loose top layer of dirt. I think I can see the rain droplet marks in both sets of tracks, so my bet was all the traffic happened before the sprinkle. It looks like the bear was after the rain.

Thoughts?

Hmm.. It's hard to see from a photo I guess. It looks like the ground is hard with a loose top layer, but relatively uniform. I'm surprised the cat could make such a deep print and an elk so shallow without the ground first being wet, then dry. Based on the depth of each print, I was guessing the cat came through first, then the Elk after the ground dried up a bit. Both tracks look like they have been dusted over a bit by the loose top layer of dirt. I think I can see the rain droplet marks in both sets of tracks, so my bet was all the traffic happened before the sprinkle. It looks like the bear was after the rain.

Thoughts?

It's probably really hard to read from a picture, and I have an unfair advantage in having seen it first hand. So on the ground condition, imagine a dinner plate filled full of flour and then leveled off evenly. If you push your thumb down in the center of the plate, the flour is deep and you leave a deep mark. But if you press down more toward the edge of the plate where the flour is thinner because of the rim of the plate, the mark is more shallow. The pressure used to make the mark is somewhat of a non-factor because when you reach the solid portion of either the plate bottom or the rim, downward travel is stopped.

Same here. The elk track landed where the ground is slightly rising and the dust is less deep, but the cat track imprinted in a slight depression where the powder dust had gathered, or at least the toe portion did. You can see how the front part of the cat track is imprinted deeply, but it is more shallow toward the pad. This allowed the lighter animal to mark deeper in this instance.

There are more rain droplet marks in one toe of the lion track than the whole elk track which is probably really hard to judge from the picture, BUT....I can zoom in on my cell pic :p :D Ya, I'm satisfied the elk track is fresher than the lion track, but the bear track more recent than either. Now the real question is, how did I ever find a gal that agreed to marry me?! :confused: :D

It's probably really hard to read from a picture, and I have an unfair advantage in having seen it first hand. So on the ground condition, imagine a dinner plate filled full of flour and then leveled off evenly. If you push your thumb down in the center of the plate, the flour is deep and you leave a deep mark. But if you press down more toward the edge of the plate where the flour is thinner because of the rim of the plate, the mark is more shallow. The pressure used to make the mark is somewhat of a non-factor because when you reach the solid portion of either the plate bottom or the rim, downward travel is stopped.

Same here. The elk track landed where the ground is slightly rising and the dust is less deep, but the cat track imprinted in a slight depression where the powder dust had gathered, or at least the toe portion did. You can see how the front part of the cat track is imprinted deeply, but it is more shallow toward the pad. This allowed the lighter animal to mark deeper in this instance.

There are more rain droplet marks in one toe of the lion track than the whole elk track which is probably really hard to judge from the picture, BUT....I can zoom in on my cell pic :p :D Ya, I'm satisfied the elk track is fresher than the lion track, but the bear track more recent than either. Now the real question is, how did I ever find a gal that agreed to marry me?! :confused: :D
I would guess you tracked her down.. :D

Last note on this.. yeah the ground looks much harder in the pic than you describe. I pictured the cat stopping for a tactical pause because of the front pads being heavy. Like that paw was underneath supporting weight. The Elk just didn't dig deep enough, and being so heavy and wearing such hard shoes, that was the basis for my call on hard dirt.

The bear is easy to call because the creases in the pad are still visible. Nothing has disturbed that yet.. Thats pretty fresh.

Where are you? Montana..wyoming?

Because you are obviously cool. Crazy..but cool. Be careful!

Back